Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

promax prop on a stroker?

anyone run a promax prop with a merc300xs on their stroker? if so have you had any holes drilled in it for a better hole shot and what configuration did you run? what size plugs? I just got one and had 8 pvs holes drilled in it... wondering where to start

I run a 28 Promax on my short shafted 300xs. Mark Croxton put in 8 pvs holes for me and I run with them wide open. I didn't have Mark do any other mods to the promax. It planes off and runs well. I think I'm getting a little less exhaust through the prop with the SS mid than when it was stock, but I doubt you'd need to plug any of the holes. Give it a shot with no holes plugged first. If you're on the water testing, it's easier to put in a couple pvs plugs than it is to dig them out. FYI, I run bigger holes on my Bravo 1's, like 4 x 1" plus 4 pvs'. Good luck. Have fun.
    Boatless in Wisconsin. 300R
    Act justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly with God.

3. Member
    I run a 28 on my 250xs. Prop is two years old and is straight out of the box except it had 4 pvs holes put in it ( the early ones didn't have any) It needs 8 but 4 works fine. IMO it's the best all around prop for fishing UNLESS you're carrying a real heavy load, it just won't carry a lot of weight like a Bravo.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

4. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    I'm running a 30 pm I have a set of pvs holes and a set 1" holes I have one pvs hole plugged Top speed loaded with 400lb of meat is 99.6. Now I've added two power poles not sure how much speed was lost. I turning about 6140 rpm

5. Member
    That's good info Thier guys

6. Member
    Thx everyone. Hopefully I'll get a chance to give it a try in the next couple weeks.

I just got one with no holes 30 with 300 xs 1,75 gears is it gonna come out of the hole

Quote Originally Posted by bulletf20 View Post
    I just got one with no holes 30 with 300 xs 1,75 gears is it gonna come out of the hole
    I think your hole shot will probably benefit from some PVS holes for sure. I run a 30" on my 250XS and 1.62's with 8 PVS holes. Aside from the PVS holes it's stock and I use it for tournament fishing

OK thanks you were who I wanted to hear from I knew you had one if the originals everybody says its small but I can run 90 with a 27 txp so I figure mid 90's with promax

Quote Originally Posted by bulletf20 View Post
    OK thanks you were who I wanted to hear from I knew you had one if the originals everybody says its small but I can run 90 with a 27 txp so I figure mid 90's with promax
    TXP's usually have a very stiff rake angle especially the three blades and the Pro Max is smaller in diameter so I'm pretty confident the 30" promax will run much faster than the 27" TXP. I also think you'll be very impressed with how well it accelerates and runs mid range

11. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I have the 32 pro et....its the small diameter it runs great on garys rig and has been 97.xx but looses grip when you raise it above 1-1/2 to 2 inches over pad...it was such a good runner on garys I let him keep it....on mine it hit the limiter too quick I would like to run it with my new limiter tho....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSmoker View Post
    I have the 32 pro et....its the small diameter it runs great on garys rig and has been 97.xx but looses grip when you raise it above 1-1/2 to 2 inches over pad...it was such a good runner on garys I let him keep it....on mine it hit the limiter too quick I would like to run it with my new limiter tho....
    The Pro ET's were very fast Paul! I wish to heck they still made them. The ET Lightnings were real fast as well back in the day. I really like my Pro max for fishing and I have done zero to it from how Mercury made it for me. I don't really care about every last MPH on a fishing prop if it runs solo low to mid 90's is anyone really going to pass you in a 250 HP limited tournament ? I have a fishing prop or two that is faster by a couple MPH but they don't accelerate nearly as well as the Pro Max. If I ran a 28" Pro max fishing it would be stupid quick, I've been thinking of getting one

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    The Pro ET's were very fast Paul! I wish to heck they still made them. The ET Lightnings were real fast as well back in the day. I really like my Pro max for fishing and I have done zero to it from how Mercury made it for me. I don't really care about every last MPH on a fishing prop if it runs solo low to mid 90's is anyone really going to pass you in a 250 HP limited tournament ? I have a fishing prop or two that is faster by a couple MPH but they don't accelerate nearly as well as the Pro Max. If I ran a 28" Pro max fishing it would be stupid quick, I've been thinking of getting one
    Insert allison xb02 owners saying "I can run 98 with my 225 carrying a full fishing load; 2 rods, a 3700 Plano, a 12v lawnmower battery, and hand steer OMC trolling motor."

Quote Originally Posted by Pickwicked Basser View Post
    Insert allison xb02 owners saying "I can run 98 with my 225 carrying a full fishing load; 2 rods, a 3700 Plano, a 12v lawnmower battery, and hand steer OMC trolling motor."
    Maybe they can? A Pro Max on an Ally would probably run even better as it's 14.5" in diameter and from what I understand Ally's run at lower above pad motor heights

15. Member
    It was a joke but I'm interested in running a 30 promax when I get my boat back. I want to see if I like it better than my 30 bravo 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickwicked Basser View Post
    It was a joke but I'm interested in running a 30 promax when I get my boat back. I want to see if I like it better than my 30 bravo 1.
    It will accelerate much better, probably turn a little less RPM's than the 30 Bravo and it won't carry quite as heavy a load as a Bravo but no prop is perfect. It's a great fishing prop on our boats especially for something stock out of the box!

17. Member
    Great reading here. I lost my lower unit the weekend before Easter on debris. So after reading I changed the gear to 1:75 gear and now need a good around prop. From what I am reading the pro max seems to be the way to go, nice Mercury doesn't have any more bravo 1 xs props which worked fine for me. Not looking for every last mph, just great hole shot and carrying a tournament load of crap for fishing. I current have a 300xs Merc motor. Thanks

18. RIP -April 30,2023
    if you want holeshot, get a bravo.

Running a 29 promax but on a stock 300 hpdi w/1.62 sportsmaster. Had mark to put 8 pvs. I have enlarged 4 already and will prolly do the other 4. Hole shot is good but could be much better. I am also on the limiter around around 88. My worked up bravo is much faster.

21 ft Stroker / 300 Yamaha with Hydrotech sportsmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mc View Post
    Running a 29 promax but on a stock 300 hpdi w/1.62 sportsmaster. Had mark to put 8 pvs. I have enlarged 4 already and will prolly do the other 4. Hole shot is good but could be much better. I am also on the limiter around around 88. My worked up bravo is much faster.
    While I haven't tried to work a Pro Max for top end yet, Scott at Mercury sent me one a couple years ago to try. It was quite a bit stiffer than my 30" fishing Pro Max. It ran 102.3 at 5730 but I haven't revisited that prop with Scott yet. For me and my Mercury 250XS not a Yamaha, the Pro Max has a better hole shot and accelerates much better than a worked Bravo of comparable pitch. I don't own any props that do both hole shot and top end nearly as well as one that is specifically for either but the Pro Max for me as a fishing prop is a very good compromise, especially for an absolute bone stock out of the box prop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast