Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Sounds like snake oil to me.

2. Member
    Anybody with common since and engine knowledge knows a 200 will not out perform a 250 with a simple programmer. You just think it's faster because you spent good money on nothing.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Anybody with common since and engine knowledge knows a 200 will not out perform a 250 with a simple programmer. You just think it's faster because you spent good money on nothing.
    Are we talking about a 200 with or without racing stripes? Because racing stripes add a solid 50 hp.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

4. Member
    Might want to be more specific because I know a yamaha SHO 200 that will outrun almost all 250's with just a simple ECU program. Matter of fact it will outrun a bunch of 300's also.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPC3 View Post
    Might want to be more specific because I know a yamaha SHO 200 that will outrun almost all 250's with just a simple ECU program. Matter of fact it will outrun a bunch of 300's also.
    A 200 that yes can and does out run a 250. Nitro Z8 200 and Ranger 521 250 leave Cypress Bend at exact same time both come out the hole side by side at the exact same time both guys knows their boats and can drive them 18-19 mile run down to Pirates Cove Z8 with a 200 pulls in around a half mile ahead of the Ranger. You line him up Z8 to Z8 identical boats and setups and the dyno boost Z8 will blow the other away. Now you tell me what they do I dont know but they dang sure do something.

Don and Savage and be 100% honest have either of you seen 2 identical boats with same setup one with dyno boost and one without line up and run each other. Im no mechanic but have seen it with my own eyes those chips do something.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

6. Member
    Yes they can and for your info I dont have one in my motor. OP wanted to know about them and I told him what I first hand have witnessed.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    A 200 that yes can and does out run a 250. Nitro Z8 200 and Ranger 521 250 leave Cypress Bend at exact same time both come out the hole side by side at the exact same time both guys knows their boats and can drive them 18-19 mile run down to Pirates Cove Z8 with a 200 pulls in around a half mile ahead of the Ranger. You line him up Z8 to Z8 identical boats and setups and the dyno boost Z8 will blow the other away. Now you tell me what they do I dont know but they dang sure do something.

Don and Savage and be 100% honest have either of you seen 2 identical boats with same setup one with dyno boost and one without line up and run each other. Im no mechanic but have seen it with my own eyes those chips do something.

It's cause a ranger with a 250 is still super slow. 72/73 is nothing special with a 200? My allison xb21 ran 84 with 200, on my previous xb2003 I broke 90...
    Last edited by xb03fs; 03-24-2016 at 04:38 PM.

8. Member
    First off I did NOT call you out. Last time I remember saying "I call you out", was on the playground, 45yrs. ago, when I was 200lbs. lighter..

I simply reminded you of something that YOU said you were going to DO. Remember YOU said that YOU were going to video. If you would have never stated "I will video it and shut the non believers"....Then I would have never mentioned a word. Your own words got you on this one....You said you would and you didn't.

Second....... I understand EXACTLY what this device Does, and how it attempts to trick the motor into thinking that it is cold outside. That's why I know the claims are BOGUS.

Third..........Why does a Mercury Marine Master Technician have to remove these devices from his customers motors?

Fourth..........I wonder why everyone doesn't have one if it works so good?

Fifth...........Since you saw HUGE benefits, with your own eyes, why don't you have one on your motor?

True story here......back in the 60's my Dad car pooled with our neighbor Frank back and forth to work everyday. Frank bought this "GIZMO Dyno something" that was installed between the ignition coil and coil wire. The "GIZMO Dyno something" was supposed to "increase Horse Power" and "save fuel". Well Frank kept bragging to my Dad, "cant you feel the Power Bill"? " "It feels like I have 100HP more" "I get 20 more miles to the gallon".

Well Dad was a mechanical genius, and he knew the "GIZMO Dyno something" could not do what it claimed......(sounds familiar) So at lunch time, Dad removes the "GIZMO Dyno something" from Frank's car, and puts it in his shirt pocket.

End of the day....Dad and Frank are driving home from work.....Frank starts bragging about the Extra Power that the "GIZMO Dyno something" is giving his car....Bill "watch how fast I can get to 60MPH" "did you feel that Bill" "doesn't this work great"?

Yeah Frank, "It works so good......... even when it's in MY DAM POCKET" !!!!!

Cue crickets sound for the rest of the way home......

I bet that the same thing would happen in regards to the Dyno Boost chip, if it was removed without the owner knowing....IMHO
    Last edited by Savage; 03-24-2016 at 10:13 PM.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lance... even two identical boats is not a fair representation, as there AREN'T any two identical boats. Too many variables for them to REALLY be "identical".

Back to back runs on the SAME boat... maybe, if the runs are both based on the same fuel level, under the same exact conditions (wind, weather, rain, weight, FUEL LEVEL, etc).

And we can't compare a 200-Z8 and a 250-Ranger. They're not even close to each other, in a number of ways.

Please take the time to read the Forum Announcements, and adhere to them.

As stated earlier- and more clearly this time: Clean up the attitude. There is simply no excuse for bashing and berading those who are here to help others.
    ------------------------------------------------------

To the OP: My sincere apologies that your thread has been hi-jacked with such trivial bickering and attitude. That is not what BBC is about... and certainly not what this forum is about. I can assure you that if it continues, it will be dealt with accordingly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    An exhaust tuner DOES work. Only problem is, it works at one specific RPM level and hurts everywhere else. Watch some of the chain saw competitions. The unlimited guys have a long external exhaust tube. Does the following: It can be tuned so that when the exhaust port opens, it will actually pull MORE fuel and air into the cylinder and out the exhaust port. As the intake port gets covered, the pressure wave bounces off the tapered end and forces that air and fuel that was pulled through back into the cylinder. A sort of super-charger effect. I've run a tuned pipe on model airplane engines used in racing. As I said, they work at one specific RPM point. You take a tubing cutter and keep cutting them off until RPM stops rising. And that is where the motor will run best. At that specific RPM. Performance across the rest of the power band suffers.

Does NOT sound like what one would want for a 2-stroke marine engine that gets run at all RPMs depending on the task at hand...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    An exhaust tuner DOES work. Only problem is, it works at one specific RPM level and hurts everywhere else. Watch some of the chain saw competitions. The unlimited guys have a long external exhaust tube. Does the following: It can be tuned so that when the exhaust port opens, it will actually pull MORE fuel and air into the cylinder and out the exhaust port. As the intake port gets covered, the pressure wave bounces off the tapered end and forces that air and fuel that was pulled through back into the cylinder. A sort of super-charger effect. I've run a tuned pipe on model airplane engines used in racing. As I said, they work at one specific RPM point. You take a tubing cutter and keep cutting them off until RPM stops rising. And that is where the motor will run best. At that specific RPM. Performance across the rest of the power band suffers.

Does NOT sound like what one would want for a 2-stroke marine engine that gets run at all RPMs depending on the task at hand...
    Good point- as would relate to chainsaws, model airplanes, mopeds, race-bikes, etc.

The topic here is an electrical device, however (not a "tuned pipe").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    snow-chains for a wheelbarrow
    might have to try that

13. Member
    Man, I have been missing out on this action on the 3L boards. Get em boys.
    I think I'll get two and run them in series. Bet it will really tote the mail then.
    I'll video when i do.

14. Moderator
    Reminds me of Whistle Tips.

WOO WOOO!

Don, can I install one of these on my 250XS to make it go faster?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Not sure about the whistle, but I put a Euopean Marine sticker on my 200 EFI and gained 2 mph. Thinking about writing a how-to
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

From my limited knowlege of the SHOs, they are the same motor(200 HP and above) and the only difference is the ECU programming. That is not the case with the same HP ProXS motors. Trying to compare to two is like comparing mice to monkeys. There are few similarities but are vastly different animals. The only “gain” I could see is the 200 has a limiter at 5750ish while the 225 and 250 ProXS are much higher. Raising that could help but there probably is a reason for it. I’d rather not shorten the life of these expensive motors!

Don and Savage are ALWAYS 100% honest. I know Don and his word is gospel to me.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. Member
    I think it’s funny how don jumps on the first guy that says something to savage that he(don) feels is disrespectful, yet he lets savage run his mouth and be dis-respectful to anyone he wants. I don’t feel lamoon is in the wrong anyway what so ever, he’s simply giving a stated opinion. Second, maybe the software in the programmer does help, until it’s put on an engine dyno and thoroughly tested no one will really know. Don have you done that? Have you run wfo test and step loaded test on each set up? I run a dyno for a living and I guarantee you I can tell you if something works with a simple 15 minute evaluation on the dyno. Now wether it’s a down load or a custom tune I can tell you if it’s better than stock or worse and where at. The same should able to be accomplished in the marine world I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy909 View Post
    I think it’s funny how don jumps on the first guy that says something to savage that he(don) feels is disrespectful, yet he lets savage run his mouth and be dis-respectful to anyone he wants. I don’t feel lamoon is in the wrong anyway what so ever, he’s simply giving a stated opinion. Second, maybe the software in the programmer does help, until it’s put on an engine dyno and thoroughly tested no one will really know. Don have you done that? Have you run wfo test and step loaded test on each set up? I run a dyno for a living and I guarantee you I can tell you if something works with a simple 15 minute evaluation on the dyno. Now wether it’s a down load or a custom tune I can tell you if it’s better than stock or worse and where at. The same should able to be accomplished in the marine world I would think.
    Maybe you could donate some dyno time and prove it once and for all then.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

20. Member
    There really is no need to bring back up a dead thread from 3-18-16.

Skippy909 your understanding of what a Dyno Boost is, is NOT correct. The Dyno Boost is NOT a "download", or a "custom tune". There is no "software", or "programmer".

The Dyno Boost is a device that modifies a INPUT from a sensor. Try re-reading post #19 again. The TUNE is still the ORIGINAL MERCURY FACTORY TUNE.
    Last edited by Savage; 11-21-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast