The wonderful world of steel trailers

As many have said aluminum is the way to go. Seems like it's a never ending scrape , prime, and paint revolving rodeo for me. It's a constant attempt to stay ahead of trailer cancer that I hope to eliminate down the road. Priorities in life come first so I keep spot treating for now. I find it true that steel is crap. What's interesting however is comparing steel. I called my buddy to see if my old trailer was holding up, he said it's excellent. The replacement shorlandr is indeed superior vs sc or mfi production.
    See ignorance daily

2. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    My trailer had no rust on it when I sold it in 2012 after owning it for almost 18 years.
    LeaLea

That's because you had a mtn home c channel. My point is there are better steel trailers than the late model production sources.
    See ignorance daily

Quote Originally Posted by bassin butch View Post
    That's because you had a mtn home c channel.
    Yep! My 1996 202 C-channel trailer still looks brand new. I completely wipe it down every so often with WD-40.

I'm a firm believer that the steel made in the United States is a whole lot better grade than that imported steel we are now using. Just don't remember the older trailers rusting this fast.
    IBEW

they don't lolo, my 1989 custom trailer with the 89 Stratos sitting on it from day 1, still looks the same.. but the aluminum step areas, need some polishing some day

7. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin butch View Post
    That's because you had a mtn home c channel. My point is there are better steel trailers than the late model production sources.
    I know that, my point was reference to your old trailer and it still looks excellent and so does my older trailer. I agree with your point.
    LeaLea

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I can only pray mine will hold up till I get her back up to Lee Sanderson. He checks my SC trailer each year to make sure I am safe. We have a local guy who makes custon aluminum trailers. Hope I won't need him for awhile. Lee also knows someone who makes them, but not sure if custom or if adjustible bunks...not my first choice.

I remember a club T out of Pontiac boat dock on BS back in 77. On our way back the guy dragging his boat in front of us started the most awful smoking from both sides of the trailer. Everyone pulls over and the main frame under the boat had rusted through and gave way. As providence would have it. A gentleman living nearby had a welder set. And one of the club members was a pretty good welder to get it to limp home. It was a single axle square tube frame trailer.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

10. Member
    I've never seen a good c channel trailer fall apart like the tube trailers do. I don't know if they get water in them or if it's just poor steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    I've never seen a good c channel trailer fall apart like the tube trailers do. I don't know if they get water in them or if it's just poor steel.
    Condensation is what kills them from day one once that tube is all welded up, no treatment what so ever on the inside is a death sentence from birth.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

12. Member
    That makes perfect sense.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    I can only pray mine will hold up till I get her back up to Lee Sanderson. He checks my SC trailer each year to make sure I am safe. We have a local guy who makes custon aluminum trailers. Hope I won't need him for awhile. Lee also knows someone who makes them, but not sure if custom or if adjustible bunks...not my first choice.
    Hey Lea - who's the local trailer builder guy?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Adding to this.. That those of us who fish brackish water, the death is 10x sooner! I enjoy my aluminum trailer but it was a major pain in the arse to fit correctly.
    LT - DCFD

Just turned loose of my 91 184 with one of the Mtn Home c channel frames. Not a bit of rust on it. Can't say the same for my 05 M.F.I. tubular trailer. I believe it's condition is the result of a poor design (tubular) and poor quality steel (China?). To many of these trailers have way to many problems. Lowest bid without regard for quality. I'm sure one of the aluminum trailers is in my future.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Hey Lea - who's the local trailer builder guy?
    Second that question. Mine is getting pretty bad. I think after this year I may switch it out to an aluminium.

My 98 181 had some areas that were not good. It was a tube trailer though.

18. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I have forgotten local guy's name. Ask in the VA forum. Daryl Johnson ("Big Johnson" is his user name) had his trailer built there. Said he was very satisfied. I expect others in the forum will also remember....