1997 186 leaking

Hey guys, new to the boards and got a question that is stumping me.

I have a 97 186 with merc 175 EFI. When I am running down the lake I will start to notice a bit of water on my leg and it will pool up underneath the throttle. Sunday I noticed a puddle below the passenger seat where I believe the water had ran from the throttle leak underneath both seats and came out on left side of the boat and began to pool up on the floor. Also within minutes of launching the boat I am already able to pump water out. This is my first boat and have only had a year so just trying to get the kinks worked out. Any ideas or suggestions as to where to start I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

2. Member
    The water on your leg is most likely your speedometer, it is fed with water pressure from lower unit connected to a hose and all the way to the speedometer gauge. As far as having to run your bilge to pump out water, check for cracks in the hull, if you are good on that. Check all hose connections, might be a leak in the plumbing.
    2015 Tracker txw17

3. Member
    First off welcome to the Champion family. The 186 with a 175hp is a great package. Regarding the leaking issue I would check on a few things.

1) look at the back side of your speedometer. You will see a black rubber hose attached to it. Make sure it is securely attached & check it for any cracks. Also check the fitting itself on the back of the speedometer for any cracks. If either the hose or fitting is cracked you will experience a leak under your console when running.

2) check to make sure your bilge plug is sealing correctly. You either have a screw in plug or the rubber plug type.

3) check the livewell pump housings. If cracked you will notice water in the bilge.

4. Member
    +3 on the speedo hookup under the dash.

As for the bilge. At home, I'd put the bilge plug in then fill the bilge with water from the hose....see where it leaks out.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

speedo

6. Member
    Thank you all, I will be checking the speedo this weekend. I should have mentioned my speedometer is working, can it still be that? My water pressure gauge isn't working though.

7. Member
    check'em both.............
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome!! Let us know what you find. Livewell fittings are very often the problem with water in bilge.