Thread: Rope Break!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1. #1
    Mike Lamb
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    raleigh, nc 27603
    Posts
    1,291

    Rope Break!!

    Well, everyone said it would happen. But the timing sucked. I was trying to pick the Trolling motor up in the shallows and snap. Rope breaks. That was @ 10am fishing club tournament. I went all day with it like that. After about 2 hrs of moving around I finely started to take it completly apart. I got it where It would function somewhat.

    Everyone said I need to head to Bass Pro and get one of the coated cable to replace the rope. It just didnt seem right spending $40+ for something like that. So I made my own. $3.12 it cost. That is 4' cable (little thicker then I wanted) and cable crimps. Reused the orginal handle. Now it works like a champ. 25mins and it is back better then before.
    Michael Lamb
    Ranger 170vs 115 Mercury
    Raleigh, NC
    harrislakehawghunters on Facebook
    http://hawghunters.weebly.com/

  2.  
  3. Member tomtopping's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    kingston ontario
    Posts
    222
    #2
    What did you use??

  4. Member bronze_back_hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pineville, Ky
    Posts
    1,225
    #3
    What size cable? I need to do that.

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oakdale, Ca
    Posts
    334
    #4
    3/32" nd coated cable was what I used on my Motorguide. Only used 3' on mine. Got everything at Home Depot for around $3.00.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Optimax

  6. Mike Lamb
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    raleigh, nc 27603
    Posts
    1,291
    #5
    The cable I got was little bigger then the rope. But that was the only one I could find that was coated. I got to end pieces. Mine I made 4' long. so far I am very happy.
    Michael Lamb
    Ranger 170vs 115 Mercury
    Raleigh, NC
    harrislakehawghunters on Facebook
    http://hawghunters.weebly.com/

  7. CHAMPMANBILL
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    PACIFIC,Mo.
    Posts
    323
    #6
    I've been thinking about replacing mine too Mike. Thanks for the DYI info. Didn't know they were that expensive. $40 + for that small cable, WTF.

  8. Mike Lamb
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    raleigh, nc 27603
    Posts
    1,291
    #7
    Well, they thrown in the handle. yea I was somewhat shocked. So I just made my own.
    Michael Lamb
    Ranger 170vs 115 Mercury
    Raleigh, NC
    harrislakehawghunters on Facebook
    http://hawghunters.weebly.com/

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Unionville, NC
    Posts
    3,747
    #8
    The G-Force handle is $25 at Academy. At least it was the last time I was there. Easy to install. Best thing ever.

    Thought about making my own, but decided to just buy the T-H kit.
    Dave Graham2014 Triton 18XS w/ Merc 150 ProXS

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waxhaw,NC
    Posts
    1,168
    #9
    $8.00 at lowes works great with the metal cable also it's what i use, http://www.lowes.com/pd_141612-60858...pe+pull+handle
    Last edited by Boogerman; 03-27-2016 at 06:43 PM.

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Locust Grove, VA.
    Posts
    134
    #10
    ^^^^^^^^ I like that

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chandler, Az
    Posts
    155
    #11
    ^^ just made mine, and installed it! Great idea, and works perfectly!
    1986 Champion 184, Mariner 175

  13. Member OkieBud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bixby, Ok
    Posts
    32,170
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bass View Post
    ^^ just made mine, and installed it! Great idea, and works perfectly!
    Me Too

    98 187 Elite Powered by 98 Mercury 150 Optimax

  14. Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Hendersonville, TN
    Posts
    10
    #13
    What are y'all using to crimp the ferrules on the cable? Having trouble finding a crimping tool to borrow. Thanks

  15. Member drainplug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Posts
    538
    #14
    I bought the handle, shown above, cable & crimps at Home Depot, got one of the sales associates to put a crimp on one end with the "store" crimping tool. Put a knot in the end that pulls down into the handle. Been good to go for two seasons.

  16. Member Sammiew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    467
    #15
    Lowes and coated cable works great.



    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird 1199 * Helix 12si * Helix 5si
    Blue Water LED Deck Lights, Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels

  17. Mike Lamb
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    raleigh, nc 27603
    Posts
    1,291
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by drl2t View Post
    What are y'all using to crimp the ferrules on the cable? Having trouble finding a crimping tool to borrow. Thanks
    I used hammer to crimp the ends.
    Michael Lamb
    Ranger 170vs 115 Mercury
    Raleigh, NC
    harrislakehawghunters on Facebook
    http://hawghunters.weebly.com/

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Iowa Falls
    Posts
    4,374
    #17
    It takes like all of 5 minutes to change a rope (on a MG Tour)....i had a coated cable way back in 2010. Now i just use "break proof" rope. I swap out the factory rope with this and change at the begining of every season. Havnt had a break yet. I didnt like the way the "wire rope" ones felt.
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Iowa Falls
    Posts
    4,374
    #18
    Also what happeened with my homemade coated wire rope...it wore through the casing and then started to dig into the areas of rub when stowing/deploying.
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

  20. Member JStew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Little Rock
    Posts
    5,106
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Thomas View Post
    It takes like all of 5 minutes to change a rope (on a MG Tour)....i had a coated cable way back in 2010. Now i just use "break proof" rope. I swap out the factory rope with this and change at the begining of every season. Havnt had a break yet. I didnt like the way the "wire rope" ones felt.
    John Jones has shown a ton of pictures of what happens when the urethane cable coating wears thru. Those parts are designed to last forever, but the rope - a little over a year. It's the sacrificial piece of the design. It costs a ton to repair when the cable coating wears out and use continues. I bought a roll of black parachute cord for about $6. I replace the cord every year as "preventative" maintenance. Like said - about a 5 minute change out. My first parachute cord "pull rope" lasted 2 years. I figured it was easier just to change out yearly along with the spark plugs,water pump impeller, and LU lube. That $6 roll will make pull cords to last the next 30+ years.

  21. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Iowa Falls
    Posts
    4,374
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JStew View Post
    John Jones has shown a ton of pictures of what happens when the urethane cable coating wears thru. Those parts are designed to last forever, but the rope - a little over a year. It's the sacrificial piece of the design. It costs a ton to repair when the cable coating wears out and use continues. I bought a roll of black parachute cord for about $6. I replace the cord every year as "preventative" maintenance. Like said - about a 5 minute change out. My first parachute cord "pull rope" lasted 2 years. I figured it was easier just to change out yearly along with the spark plugs,water pump impeller, and LU lube. That $6 roll will make pull cords to last the next 30+ years.
    Not to hijack the OP's thread....but that's kind of my deal as well. Just replace In Spring with my rope stash. I've helped a few out at the ramp with a chunk of the good rope....and they always want to know where to get more of it.
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast