Thread: Rope Break!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Awesome tip....Thanks

2. Member
    I change mine once a year also, and about half way thru the year, I pull it thru from the knot about 3-4 inches and retie the knot. I think that this moves the ' wear spot ' and helps mine last longer. I have not had a break in quite a while.. (its on an old MG)...BF

3. Member
    Be careful with cable "ropes." If you rub them against your trolling motor cable when you pull them up, they will cut through the covering pretty quick. I've gone back to rope because of this.

after trying many different ones i spent the money and bought "the red one" - don't expect to ever have to do anything with it again

5. Member
    What's really missing on this thread is the accounts of what happened when the rope broke. Personally, I ended up head first in the floor back by the passenger seat.

Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    What's really missing on this thread is the accounts of what happened when the rope broke. Personally, I ended up head first in the floor back by the passenger seat.
    I can see something like that happening. Best idea is to just use parachute cable and change it out yearly. "Red One's" and other jacketed metal cables will cost you a new troller when it eats the rollers out and it costs almost as much to replace the unit as repair the damage. Standard rope ones can bust inside of a year with regular use. The para cord will easily last over a year with almost daily use. It's so cheap to pick up a spool at the local Lowe's or Home Depot - you can cut a lifetime supply for less than $5.

7. Member
    I use mountain climbing utility line, not the climbing rope size. It is wearing like iron.

What's really missing on this thread is the accounts of what happened when the rope broke.
    I've had one break, but luckily I didn't fall over. Taught me to always be in a controlled stance, using arm strength (vs. leaning body weight) when stowing. I also grab the head of the motor at apogee for better control. It's sort of a conscious effort to brace yourself, but quickly becomes routine.
    I switched to paracord several years ago as well... extremely durable and easy to replace.

9. Member
    Great Tips ...... Thanks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    Ok. Rope broke, tumbled all the way back whacking the side of my chest on the console. Cracked a rib. Was sore for weeks after.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

My 2016 rope broke 2x in 10 months!!! SO....I agree with the above post and did it also...
    The G-Force handle is $25 at Academy. At least it was the last time I was there. Easy to install. Best thing ever.

Thought about making my own, but decided to just buy the T-H kit.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

12. Member
    I use the regular rope that comes on the TM. But I put pneumatic air hose over the rope to help prevent wear and tear. You can get the pneumatic air hose in just about any color to match your boat color scheme.

13. Member
    I was fishing the river in current. Pulled up to a spot by some submerged logs. I cast a squarebill and got hung up, so I set it down and cast in with another pole. I also got hung up with that pole. Well I wasn't paying attention and the line from the first cast got tangled in the trolling motor. When I went to pull up the trolling, the rope snapped. So there I was with two lines out, one in the trolling motor, trying to pry it up with a pliers while floating down river, reciting every cuss word I know as fast as I could.

After that I bought teflon coated cable and that seems to work well. I haven't notice any wear on the trolling motor either after two and a half seasons.
    2008 XPRESS H18
    2017 MERC 150 4S

14. Member
    push down on tm with foot as you GENTLY lift the rope it will last for a long time. its not like a pull start on a chainsaw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123