Thread: Rope Break!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Thomas View Post
    Not to hijack the OP's thread....but that's kind of my deal as well. Just replace In Spring with my rope stash. I've helped a few out at the ramp with a chunk of the good rope....and they always want to know where to get more of it.
    Same for me. 550 pound parachute cord changed at the beginning of the season. I also find the troller easier to stow with a "mitten" style handle, similar to the one pictured in a post above. I use a snowmobile handle.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

2. CHAMPMANBILL
    Thanks for the tip on the handle John, it worked like a charm. Cable, clamps and handle, $12.00 I feel smarter today, but I still have a lot of catching up to do......

3. LEGEND 199 225 PRO XS
    On the Minkota, at least on mine, if you stand on the rail and pull on rope till the latch opens then raise it up the rope will never break. Had a buddy show me that trick and it really works good! Give it a try before you call me crazy.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199 225 PRO XS

4. Member
    Mule tape is the ultimate answer, used to pull fiber-optic cable. Ordinary looking 1/2" wide white, strapping looking stuff. It's made out of Kevlar and I've heard you can tow a car with it and it doesn't wear out on a trolling motor. I've had it on my Motor-Guide for over 5 years and I go 75 times a year. It gets ugly because it's white, but I covered it with slotted tubing. Hard to find unless you know somebody pulling cable. Guy in front of my house asked if I wanted some because they throw it away after using.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delaney View Post
    Mule tape is the ultimate answer, used to pull fiber-optic cable. Ordinary looking 1/2" wide white, strapping looking stuff. It's made out of Kevlar and I've heard you can tow a car with it and it doesn't wear out on a trolling motor. I've had it on my Motor-Guide for over 5 years and I go 75 times a year. It gets ugly because it's white, but I covered it with slotted tubing. Hard to find unless you know somebody pulling cable. Guy in front of my house asked if I wanted some because they throw it away after using.

I have aves a good sized spool of it....couple hundred yards. I use it for all sorts of things.
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

i use chainsaw rope, and keep an extra one in boat

I keep a bunch of pre cut pieces of paracord in the boat. I'm still on my first piece but I've already loaned one out to a club buddy!
    2019 Bass Cat Caracal, Mercury 225 Pro XS 4 stroke

For Northern IN/Southern MI action and BCB love, follow me on instagram: @professorbeard

I switched both of mine to 1" wide flat nylon web strap that came with deer stand harnesses. Smooth, soft and haven't frayed even the slightest bit. They have been on both TMs for three years. Goes through the little round hole just fine.

9. Member
    no video of your backpeddle dance back thru the boat when it broke ?

been there, bought the cable type.....

Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    Well, everyone said it would happen. But the timing sucked. I was trying to pick the Trolling motor up in the shallows and snap. Rope breaks. That was @ 10am fishing club tournament. I went all day with it like that. After about 2 hrs of moving around I finely started to take it completly apart. I got it where It would function somewhat.

Everyone said I need to head to Bass Pro and get one of the coated cable to replace the rope. It just didnt seem right spending $40+ for something like that. So I made my own. $3.12 it cost. That is 4' cable (little thicker then I wanted) and cable crimps. Reused the orginal handle. Now it works like a champ. 25mins and it is back better then before.

10. Member
    Slide elec. shrink tubing over the wear areas of the rope and shrink with heat and an ordinary TM rope will last for yrs.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JStew View Post
    John Jones has shown a ton of pictures of what happens when the urethane cable coating wears thru. Those parts are designed to last forever, but the rope - a little over a year. It's the sacrificial piece of the design. It costs a ton to repair when the cable coating wears out and use continues. I bought a roll of black parachute cord for about $6. I replace the cord every year as "preventative" maintenance. Like said - about a 5 minute change out. My first parachute cord "pull rope" lasted 2 years. I figured it was easier just to change out yearly along with the spark plugs,water pump impeller, and LU lube. That $6 roll will make pull cords to last the next 30+ years.

I have replaced mine in the past with paracord too. Works great and is cheap.
    1998 Skeeter ZX185c 50th Anniversary Edition With a Mercury 150 EFI

12. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Glad I checked this.. Reminded me to check my cord.. I noticed a big frayed spot just ahead of the knot (motorguide tour gator mount) where it goes under one of the cross pins.. So I get my new cord out, and go to cutting the knot off where it attaches to the mount.. There's a single thread still holding it, so I give it a yank from the handle end.. It breaks at the FRAY!!! Literally got every last pull out of that cord!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogerman View Post
    $8.00 at lowes works great with the metal cable also it's what i use, http://www.lowes.com/pd_141612-60858...pe+pull+handle
    +1

I too use 550 para cord.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

15. Member
    Mine broke on the water a few weeks ago, right down by the knot. I just got the knot off with a knife, then retied it. It's a little shorter, but works fine. I'll probably replace it next season.

16. Member
    To add to the aggravation of breaking a rope at a bad time, on my M-K edge if the rope breaks when lifting the motor, it drops down & latches. You can't get it back up without taking the bracket apart. I drilled 2 holes in the plastic motor rest near the front so that I can take a screw driver in the hole to release the latch.

17. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    I made this from parts I found on another post.

19. Member
    That's sweet Les Brown
    2010 Xpress X-19 2010 Yamaha VMAX Series 2 200

When I got my boat latest boat, someone had already put plastic coated steel cable on the TM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast