2009 Triton 20X3 first run, thoughts?

Just traded my old boat for a 2009 Triton 20X3 and was wondering what others thought.

Took it out with a couple friends the other day, water was a little choppy however with this boat you couldn't really tell. Best run was 66.3 @ 5800 - 5900 rpms, I couldn't get anymore rpms or speed. Was able to narrow down a sweet spot for the jackplate and trim but still felt like it needed more bow lift. That being said below are the specifics of my current setup for that day, haven't had it out alone yet.

Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    Atlas Jackplate 10"
    2 Power Poles Pro series
    3/4+ tank of fuel
    3 people @ 680 lbs total
    4 batteries with 4 bank charger
    5800 - 5900 max rpms
    66.3 mph according to my GPS
    Holeshot was a little sluggish but not plowing
    26 Tempest Plus 2 holes open 1 hole plugged ??
    The prop is far from excellent, multiple nicks on each blade and it looks like they tried to clean it up with a sander. If I were selling it I'd rate it a 5/10.
    Last edited by JJolley; 03-13-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Me personally considering 3 people in the boat, power poles and a iffy prop I'd say mid 60's isn't to shabby. Get that prop fixed and worked and I bet it would be better..I don't think a 20×3 is considered a screamer but still I think a nice clean prop would definitely help.

Prop cleaned up, 2 persons, fishable load, you should see 70 or a tad higher.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Thanks for the responses and I agree I need a new/cleaner prop, but there's so many to choose from , I'll keep the original around as a spare.

Had the chance to take it out again today this time I was alone, full of fuel, medium tackle load and the boat was a different animal. Jumped up on plane with no hesitation I could feel how much more responsive this thing was. Heading into the wind the water was a little choppy it started to chine walk around 67 subtle but I had to get out of it at 70.6 turning about 5700 rpms with pedal left.

That was the only run I really made cause now it was time to fish.

I think seat time and a better prop will definitely improve the boats performance.
    Last edited by JJolley; 03-13-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

Sorry double post
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    Save yourself some money and just get the prop repaired by some one who won't screw it up and you'll do fine. You could get it B&B and that will help even more.

Yup get a hold of Mark Croxton on the prop page or his web. Marksprops.com
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

8. Member
    3/4 tank of fuel and 680# in people is one hell of a load, sounds like its rumming pretty dang good !!if a x3 hull is chine walking I would get the prop worked, I have a 21xs and I cant make it chine walk

Thanks for all the advise definitely helps, I'm not new to bass boats and consider myself very competent as a boat operator but this is my first motor larger than a carbed 150 and my first DFI so to me it's like going from a 6 cylinder to a big block which means I have alot of questions and concerns, I apologize now if this gets long.

I purchased a 26p Tempest Plus with little use which is very clean from a BBC member and replaced my original prop... Wow... what a difference. If anyone ever doubts how much a dinged up prop can hurt performance I guarantee you it can be huge.

Took the boat out to Toho yesterday, light wind put a little ripple on the water, it was just me, pretty much a full tank of fuel and what I normally carry as tackle and supplies. This prop has medium plugs in all holes and at take off it jumped up on plane very quick with really good acceleration. First thing I noticed was that the boat was gaining speed easier at lower rpms than previously plus when I got to mid to upper 60s it wasn't as sluggish as before.

Got up to about 67mph at 5400rpms when the chine started again so I bumped down on the trim which settled the boat back in, I let it ride there added more throttle and got it to 72 at about 5700rpms (these are gauge rpms not smart craft) adjusting the jack plate. On my gauge 7 is the sweet spot, going up or down one click slowed the boat slightly, I bumped the trim back up a couple times and made it to 73.7 but the chine came back so I had to lower the trim again. Drove it around a bit and hit 70+ easily a couple more times before having to trim down and back off, the weather was too perfect which meant it was time to fish at that point. At the end of the day decided to do some cruising and enjoy the ride before heading back to the ramp, then with a good distance to go I open it up again and again hit the top side of 73 but had to back off because of chine walk. I had a point after that doing 70-71 where I got the boat on pad and "felt it" had it balanced perfect and was cruising for a good 2 miles stretch, that was nice.

Something I noticed when I got home is that the helm appears to be new or recently replaced and is the 5770 2.0, but where my steering cylinder attaches to the bracket that mounts to the tiller point of the motor there is some side to side movement as if the spacer is worn from use, could this be a contributor to some of my chine walking woes or do I just need more seat time?

Yesterday's results with the very clean out of the box 26 Tempest plus 73.7 mph @ 5800rpms, 30 psi water pressure and the motor felt like it had it had more to give so I think it could possibly hit 75mph+ with good conditions. This also makes me wonder if I should have Mark B&B my old prop, but I really don't see how much more I could get out of this thing being the X3 hull.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Member
    I run an 09 20X3....here is my setup:

Loaded heavy with gear, half tank, me (160lbs), 4 x 31 series batteries and an 8ft PP. I run a 10" JP set at 4.25" with a 26 Tempest that needs some work due to slip (about 18%). I run 73-74 at 6100 rpms and 30 psi. Prop has 2 large plugs and one drilled out just slightly less that the large size. My rig starts walking about 68 and has to be driven to keep it in line. Depending on conditions it will usually settle down about 72.

11. Member
    Yes any play in the steering will contribute to chine walk

12. Member
    Play in steering sounds present