Thread: Z21 Ranger

Z21 Ranger

Hey guys, Im brand new to the forum but have been monitoring for a while. Im looking at swapping boats for a bigger one and have come across a pretty good deal on a 2008 Ranger Z21 with a 250 ProXS. Now Im familiar with the ProXS but not with this hull or a Ranger in general, although I know how great they are. What I'm really in search of is good and bad associated with the Z21. I've read some on lockers being an issue but wanted to get others who have had/ do have one. The main thing I want is the "fishability" of a boat, meaning sturdy platform/ comfortable deck/ and a smooth ride. If anyone could offer any input I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Member
    Rock solid fishing platform and it has a padded, comfortable deck. They ride good, they sit you down a little harder on a big wave over the Z521.
    I had 0 problems with my rail style latch system, however quite a few guys did. I would think Ranger still has parts for them.

I really like my Z21. Rides nice and decent speed. Took me a long time to get over how long the front deck looks when getting on plane. Feels solid like a Cadillac riding across the lake. Fishes really nice like most Rangers
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

4. Member
    I've got the same set up, 2006 though, and I really like everything about it. Ive not had any issues with my rail system, although they do get hot in the summer. Z21's fish ability is really good, very stable. You should have the motor checked out by a Mercury tech before hand. Overall, it's a great boat. Good luck

5. Banned
    I like my boat.....I like my boat even more in the wind both for fishability and ride. My deck is narrower at the front post than Carlos' 2008 520, even though I am longer. Getting top performance requires some more tweaking than most. Weight distribution, prop selection and motor setback all need to work together. I have a 250 Yamaha and loaded heavy I could hit 70 with a 6 in plate and a stock 3 blade Yamaha prop. Bunged up the prop and had it worked for more lift. Now speed is in the high 60's and my lift doesn't kick in until the higher end of the rpm's. I am opting out of my 6 inch hyd. plate and going to a 10 inch manual to see how that setup works. I will eventually end up with a 4 blade prop but I have 2 3 blades now (primary and spare) and I don't see the need to spring for a new prop just yet. My only other dislike is that my boat has no rear cleats. Never could figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    I like my boat.....I like my boat even more in the wind both for fishability and ride. My deck is narrower at the front post than Carlos' 2008 520, even though I am longer. Getting top performance requires some more tweaking than most. Weight distribution, prop selection and motor setback all need to work together. I have a 250 Yamaha and loaded heavy I could hit 70 with a 6 in plate and a stock 3 blade Yamaha prop. Bunged up the prop and had it worked for more lift. Now speed is in the high 60's and my lift doesn't kick in until the higher end of the rpm's. I am opting out of my 6 inch hyd. plate and going to a 10 inch manual to see how that setup works. I will eventually end up with a 4 blade prop but I have 2 3 blades now (primary and spare) and I don't see the need to spring for a new prop just yet. My only other dislike is that my boat has no rear cleats. Never could figure that one out.
    My Z21 will only hit 70 with a tailwind. I have the HPDI also. I bemoan the lack of gas mileage with the Yammi because I have had the ProXs before and I know how good it is. I am running the Yam 25T1 right now and it peaks out at about 5700 rpm. Would love to go to a 4 blade prop but the Bravo1 I had just lost too much on the top end (3 to 4 mph) and made my gas mileage even worse. Can't wait to try the fury 4 when available if it runs anywhere near as good as they are touting.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Just came out of a 2007 Z21/250 HPDI...fished it for 9 years...A great boat. Not much water that the boat can't handle driven properly.. All of the above comments are dead on. It takes some finesse driving to get the most performance out of it, and don't be hesitant to play with props and motor height to get the most out of the boat. I found the best combo for me for lift and rough water handling was a bravo 1 xs.

8. Member
    I have a 2006 Z-21. Overall, I like the boat. The lockers are much bigger than either the Z521 or Z521C. It rides pretty well in the rough stuff. It is certainly not the fastest hull out there but when it gets rough you really don't have to slow down as much. I like the rails though I have had several locks/latches that have failed. Make sure that you thoroughly check the transom before you buy it. Have someone stand on the cavitation plate on the engine and move up and down while you are looking for any movement in the transom and into the battery box area as well.
    Garry Woodruff
    2020 Ranger 522D / 250HO Evinrude G2 / SonarCards

9. Member
    I upgraded to a pristine 05 Z21 last year. I absolutely love it. The space and storage are phenomenal. Huge front deck that fishes two people easily. I put dual talons on it from my old boat. and just now finishing up a 4 HB Helix install. Also Getting ready to try a razor 4xl prop on it. Came with a little Yamaha 23 prop, which planes in a split second but has no top end. Max 64mph for me. I just wish this HPDI would not eat so much fuel and oil. I was used to the Merc 175EFi that barely used any gas or oil.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2005 Ranger Z21 250 Vmax HPDI, Dual 12' Talons.
    OLD - '97 Ranger 482VS Classic Edition #41 175EFI
    OLD - '96 Ranger 207 Cherokee Aluminum with 115 Yamaha
    BassClub - Gadabout Bassmasters
    My Humminbird Side Imaging Forums --- http://www.sideimageforums.com

10. Member
    I have a 2005 and haven't had any unexpected problems with the boat. Like already mentioned, they ride great, but are picky on motor setup. I run right at 70 with 250xs at 10" setback, 25p tempest plus, 2.75" pad. I need to work a little more on prop and height as I'm only turning 5400rpm wot. Deck rails work well for me and theres a ton of storage. I'm starting to get spongy deck lids and have talked with several others that have the same problem.

11. Member
    I own a Z21 and as far as fish ability it's amazing. I'm not a big person and me and a buddy can fish really comfortably up front all day. I have more than enuff room for everything and so does my buddy and we have lots of accessories we bring for filming, putting tops out and sometimes scouting for deer and turkey on the islands and remote areas lol. But I have the ETEC, I love it in every aspect and don't plan on switching but it's a strong motor and again the ride is like someone earlier said, like a Cadillac. All my rails still work great. I have zero complaints and don't really plan on buying a new one unless it's another Ranger.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    My Z21 will only hit 70 with a tailwind. I have the HPDI also. I bemoan the lack of gas mileage with the Yammi because I have had the ProXs before and I know how good it is. I am running the Yam 25T1 right now and it peaks out at about 5700 rpm. Would love to go to a 4 blade prop but the Bravo1 I had just lost too much on the top end (3 to 4 mph) and made my gas mileage even worse. Can't wait to try the fury 4 when available if it runs anywhere near as good as they are touting.
    Every try a Razor 4XL?

To the OP: I have a z520 and my tournament partner has a Z21. The 21 rides nice, comes down on waves slightly harder than the 520 or 521, but being a 21ft boat helps span waves in rough water. Rides flatter, so a prop like a 4XL would really help to get any lift. What year is the boat? The splashwell isn't quite as deep as a 520 or 521, so may need to slightly feather throttle coming off plane. My tournament partner's locker latches have had issues but they're an easy fix. Boat fishes great and no complaints.

13. Member
    Wouldn't trade mine for anything but another one, love mine
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

14. Member
    I love mine. Great fishing deck and the hull can take a beating in the water. Plenty of storage room and comfort.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

15. Member
    Can I ask you if your 25 pitch tempest plus prop does it have vent holes. If so what size plugs does it use? I can’t get on plane with mine and it has.? Mine came w 12mm plugs, I’ve tried solid plugs, and don’t know where to go next?
    Dave Swimm - Ranger Z21, Yamaha Vmax 250 HPDI
    ‘17 Shearwater X22 Hybrid, Vmax 250 SHO
    I can't leave anything stock, I can't leave well enough alone.
    I need to customize everything. I think I can improve others
    designs, sometimes.

16. mikesxpress
    Dave do you have a 10" hyd jack plate? That is the suggested set back for the Z21. At what height on the JP are you taking off? My Z21 Intracoastal has a Pro XS so I can't help much with the Hammer.

17. Member
    2005 Z22 great boat, no problems.