Thread: H-51 setup help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

H-51 setup help

Xpress Spanky or anyone else. I have a 1996 h-51 rated for a 115 hp. Bought it used but in great shape. Put a new 115 hp optimax pro sx 2-stroke with a 21 p trophy plus prop at 4 3/4 under pad with a 6" manual jack plate. Boat is very hard to steer when it's trimmed down and I can not trim very much before it starts to porpoise very bad at 5000 rpm. What can I try next? Raise the motor up some. 10" jack plate. Help Please.

You cant live more than 5 minutes away from me. I can help you out in person!
    Xpress X19/200SHO

3. Member
    That would be great Bobby I live at the end of Elsie Stree about a mile and 1/2 from you. I Have a bass tournament Saturday with my son out of Blind River. Wish I can get it set up because it sucks driving it right now. Just let me know whenever you get some time. Thanks I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Choupic11; 03-08-2016 at 09:36 PM.

4. Member
    Choupic' ....... do you play the lottery????? If not, I believe I'd start. How lucky can a guy get to have Bobby living right down the road from you?????
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

5. Banned
    don't have to worry bout my H51 porpoising!
    Bad ass 9.9HP on the back!

[IMG][/IMG]

before picture!....

[IMG][/IMG]

6. Member
    The winning ticket is having him offer the help with set up in person. Can't wait to get her right!

7. Member
    OhioChamp183 that boat looks great you did a fine job on her.

8. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Hopefully Bobby can help you out, but your motor needs to be raised up to around 4" under pad and have a water pressure gauge so you don't overheat the motor. I also have a feeling you may have one of the H51's that need a little added hook to make it stabile.

9. Member
    Just wanted to send out a big thanks to Bobby for coming by and giving me some pointers on my setup. Thanks man truly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Choupic11 View Post
    Just wanted to send out a big thanks to Bobby for coming by and giving me some pointers on my setup. Thanks man truly appreciate it!
    That's a good ole baw right there!
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

No problem Nate, we will get it hooked up & running like you want it.
    Dam Spanky, I looked over the boat and suggested the exact same thing, needs the water psi gauge and also gonna need a slight hook in the back to help it settle down.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bob View Post
    No problem Nate, we will get it hooked up & running like you want it.
    Dam Spanky, I looked over the boat and suggested the exact same thing, needs the water psi gauge and also gonna need a slight hook in the back to help it settle down.
    Tell me about this hook. At 38 MPH mine starts bouncing but when solo i can get it on up and settle it out a bit.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

13. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr900racer22 View Post
    Tell me about this hook. At 38 MPH mine starts bouncing but when solo i can get it on up and settle it out a bit.
    Think of a spoiler on the back of a car catching wind and pushing the back of it down, now think of just the opposite on a boat. The very back edge where the hull is welded to the transom is used as a "hook". On each side of the pad you can build the weld up a little so it forces the bow down a little to stabilize it. I have heard from a good source you can take a ball peen hammer and put 3 little dimples on each side of the pad just in front of the weld to cure it. I ain't ever tried it, but can see how that would work as well. Also J.B. Weld or fiberglass to build up the weld will work.

14. Xpress Boats Moderator
    I'll also add do a google search on "rocker" and "hook" on boat hulls and it will show you a side view of what they are. A rocker is where looking from the transom along the bottom, rear to front, the mid section of the boat is lower. A hook is caved in between the transom and bow. Hydrodynamics with a hook will force the bow down, and a rocker will bob up and down at speed, but be faster than a hook. What you want is a happy median to stabilize the bow.

Thanks Mike I will check it out. I am guessing i can try using a bead of silicone for testing purposes?
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

16. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Thanks Mike I will check it out. I am guessing i can try using a bead of silicone for testing purposes?

Silicone will be to soft, and i'm afraid will peel off. My personal opinion is go to you local Orielly's and buy a quart of Bondo fiberglass gel. Get a small squeegee for applying filler, and just scuff from the weld to about 1" forward on each side of the pad. Build it up to make a "spoiler" that is about 1/8" tall for the complete length of the step on each side. A little goes a long way, and remember you can always sand it down or completely off. And you can always add to it. Also get some 60 or 80 grit sand paper to shape it. You don't want just a rough blob hanging down, but think of a reverse car spoiler if that makes sense, and also make both sides as even as you can.

10-4... BTW, I didn't have this problem until I added a Tour 82 and a 3rd battery.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

18. Xpress Boats Moderator
    These little rigs seem to be really weight sensitive. I've been lucky with mine, and never had a problem. Another option lots of people will tell you not to do, is use 2 batteries instead of 3. I've done it on many rigs including my H51, and never had an issue. I do have 3 in it now, but they are the small 34 Optimas. If you go with 2 batteries use large ones with a lot of capacity.

19. Member
    10-4... BTW, I didn't have this problem until I added a Tour 82 and a 3rd battery.
    Try a fortrex 80 and 3 interstate 29's. Mine runs good with just me, all my crap and 3/4 tank of gas(gps 46.7mph) with my Merc 90, but ad full livewells or a passenger an it tops at 42-43 with no bow lift due to porpoise.

I've all but quit inviting my tournament partner to fun fish with me, hahahaha

20. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jprivernut View Post
    Try a fortrex 80 and 3 interstate 29's. Mine runs good with just me, all my crap and 3/4 tank of gas(gps 46.7mph) with my Merc 90, but ad full livewells or a passenger an it tops at 42-43 with no bow lift due to porpoise.

I've all but quit inviting my tournament partner to fun fish with me, hahahaha
    The weird thing on mine with 3 batteries, a Tour 82, and livewells full it will run it's best speed. No bullcrap, with both the 90 and 115 my best numbers were with a big load of fuel and livewells full. I can go with 2 batteries, low on fuel, and empty livewell, and it will never run as fast. I honestly have no clue why. All my other boats would run faster the lighter they were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast