7610xsv Clicking Noises???

I know that transducers can sometimes make clicking noises, but my 7610xsx makes incessant clicking noises when connected to my Airmar P79. I have two 7610xsv's, they both do this, only when connected to the P79.

Garmin says likely a defective P79, but this thing was just epoxied to the inside of my hull. I'm going to have to have my installer come back out. Anybody else ever experience this?
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

2. Member
    I would triple check all connections before I tried removing the P79. Then I would try a new one to be sure that fixed the problem before I removed the old one.

3. Member
    Correction, the 7610xsv ticks when connected to the P79, GT-50 and/or GT-52. The ticking noises correlate to the ticking noises that each of these transducers emit. But Garmin tells me the transducer ticking noises should not be emitted by the 7610xsv.

When the P79, GT-50 and GT-52 transducers are disconnected and just the PS-21 is connected, no ticking noises.

This is driving me nuts. Are you sure you guys don't have any ticking noises from your 76** series units?
    Last edited by rpr; 03-13-2016 at 03:12 PM.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Mine sounds like a time bomb setting on the trailer if everything is running

5. Member
    But is the sound just coming from the ducers or also the fish finders?

6. Member
    I dont remember hearing anything from my 7610. I will check next time I go out - if it ever stops raining!

7. Member
    I fish on average 5 days a week and have had my 7610 almost a year. No noises. Larry!!! When it's raining is one of the best times to go fishing. I hate going when it is windy.

8. Member
    I also noticed my scroll speed is very erratic, it gradually slows until it almost stops and then it's rapid fire and then gradually slows again. So the speed is cyclical, the graph slows and then speeds up and just keeps repeating this.

It's been 9 years since I upgraded my electronics and I'm way behind on this technology, but this can't be right, is it?

9. Member
    First Reset Defaults

1. Ticking noises. I never run my unit out of the water unless I first Disable all Sonar. Is all this ticking heard both in and out of the water. I have operated other brands out of the water and heard ticking noises, particularly if I was right at the transducer. If you are hearing this while on the water, it is a problem. You've already verified that the PS21 doesn't do it. I would do the same thing with each of the other transducers, while on the water. Meaning, I would unplug all transducers, and then plug in each one, one at a time. Then unplug it and plug in the next one. You do not have to turn off the unit between changing transducers. I do it all the time.
    2. Erratic scroll speed. Document the problem. You have scroll speed settings. Each one is scrolling at a constant not variable speed. Try it on each setting and document which settings have the problem. I have seen units that varied scroll speed as the depth changes. I would do this test with the boat sitting still. The point is to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Once you've documented the specifics of the problems, I would turn it over to Garmin, perhaps with some persistence if needed.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I fish on average 5 days a week and have had my 7610 almost a year. No noises. Larry!!! When it's raining is one of the best times to go fishing. I hate going when it is windy.
    Rain and winds to 60 mph today. Small Craft advisories on all waters :(

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I also noticed my scroll speed is very erratic, it gradually slows until it almost stops and then it's rapid fire and then gradually slows again. So the speed is cyclical, the graph slows and then speeds up and just keeps repeating this.

It's been 9 years since I upgraded my electronics and I'm way behind on this technology, but this can't be right, is it?

Do you have the scroll speed set to auto or a specific speed? If auto - it will vary with boat speed and other things.

12. Banned
    no noises here

13. Member
    It is out of the water, I expected the ticking from the ducers but not the fish finders, which Garmin said is indicative of a problem. It does it with all the ducers except the PS-21.

The scroll speed is not set to auto, it cyclically varies from fast to slow regardless of the setting.

14. Member
    Sounds like you have two issues with the MFD then. Time to send it back for a check up. Call Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I know that transducers can sometimes make clicking noises, but my 7610xsx makes incessant clicking noises when connected to my Airmar P79. I have two 7610xsv's, they both do this, only when connected to the P79.

Garmin says likely a defective P79, but this thing was just epoxied to the inside of my hull. I'm going to have to have my installer come back out. Anybody else ever experience this?
    Yes, the MFDs do emit a slight ticking sound coming from the transmitter inside, this is normal. But, this should only be audible with your ear close to the MFD. Of course, it is also normal to hear ticking from the xducers themselves.
    Garmin Pro Team

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Yes, the MFDs do emit a slight ticking sound coming from the transmitter inside, this is normal. But, this should only be audible with your ear close to the MFD. Of course, it is also normal to hear ticking from the xducers themselves.
    Thanks for the feedback. My units can be heard ticking fairly loudly when just sitting in front of them, you don't have to press your ear to it, but it could be pronounced because the boat is out of the water at the moment. Garmin is still thinking there may be an issue with them but they suggested I finish the install and get the boat in the water and then see if I still have the MFD ticking and erratic cyclical sonar scroll speeds.

17. Member
    I checked mine on the trailer today - I couldnt hear anything with my GT51 plugged in. I leaned in sort of close but I didnt get real close.