Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 launching and loading

I know this is relative to the ramp you are using but those with RT188's, on a typical ramp of 10-15 degrees, what are you using as an indicator of how deep to back the trailer in, tires covered, 3/4 covered? Side guides x inches above the water surface? Do you find the same depth allows both launching and power loading? Do you find that at the correct depth you still have room to walk behind your truck without getting your feet wet?

top of fender wells just showing to power on. I got to float the back to get it off
    2016 RT 188

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilduckx3 View Post
    top of fender wells just showing to power on. I got to float the back to get it off
    About the same here. You can power load a bit more shallow but does not generally goes as smooth. Also, I found (comment from another member here elsewhere) that for loading it will help to back the bunks all the way in to wet them and then pull back out to desired depth.

For my setup it is normally in a 1-4 inches of water just behind the bumper but been barely dry a couple times - usually when I did not get down far enough for easy load/unload though....

4. Member
    I back in all the way then pull up so that the side guides are about halfway out of the water. Usually does just fine that way, just adjust to the steepness of the ramp.

5. Member
    I had the fenders 3-4" out but had problems of getting it to load straight. So then in tried to not go back as far and now it loads straight. And I also back in to get the bunks wet. Each ramp is different though.

2023 Ranger RT188P
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 115
    Garmin 126SV (2), 93SV, LVS34
    Minn Kota Ultrex

6. Member
    Just do what these guys do:

7. Member
    I had a lot of issues when i first got my 178 with loading it. Putting the trailer in to far definitely made it way harder to load straight. I agree with putting the side guides about half way in, i can power load and only winch maybe 2 turns to get it the rest of the way and its straight every time

8. Member
    For launching back it in till it floats. For loading I back it in till the top of wheel wells just go under and a few inches ofthe bunks are showing. Have not had any issues loading doing this.

I think it has a lot to do with the slope of the ramp. I had trouble loading my 178 straight, so I started putting the trailer in a little less each time. Now it's about perfect. I get the bunks wet then I only back down the ramp with the water about 2 inches below my fenders........leaving my fenders completely out of the water. It will load straight every time. I able to gently power up and slightly bump the roller and then a couple of cranks and it's tight.

The other ramp I go to occasionally, I learned to back it in just a little farther. Each ramp is different depending on the slope.
    I was not a happy camper until I figured it out.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

Like said before I just back till I can see just the top of the fenders and it will usually power load right up where it needs to be no problem. I fought it forever backing in to deep. I'd pull the boat up and it would be leaning one way or the other on the trailer. Not had that problem since I figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by lilduckx3 View Post
    When I have gotten the truck and trailer for my cousin this was what seemed to work best for loading. Thats a good place to start with most trailers I think .
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    For launching, I let my winch strap out and let it float. However deep it ends up being. For loading when I back the entire trailer in the water to completely cover the bunks (just to wet them), then i pull up to where the water line is barely covering the front step on the fender. About 2/3rds of the trailer is out of the water. I have never had issues doing it this way.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Just do what these guys do:
    😳😳😳

14. Member
    I put mine in with the fenders just showing. On uneven landings, I had a time getting the boat on straight until I had Airport install a second pair of boards.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

putting in: fender barely showing or just barely submerged
    putting on: step barely covered and fender showing
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

16. Member
    I found the guide bunk just touching the water is about right. Not an easy boat to load.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

17. Member
    I used to own a Ranger dealership years ago, and personally owned many Rangers over the years. I really like my RT188, but it is the worst loading boat I’ve ever owned. However, I have a jet unit and virtually no steering control at low throttle doesn’t help either.
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

18. Member
    I have the Triton version an X18.
    I installed vertical roller guides at the bow of trailer. It helped immensely. I did have to modify them slightly by cutting off the excess metal at the bottom. Even with frame so the bow didn’t get scratched up.

19. Member
    I have the 178 and one thing the dealer told me which I think helps is to back it in far enough to get the bunks wet all the way up before you set your position on the trailer. That way the boat slides easier.

20. Member
    I see other people having problems... I don't and I load and unload by myself a lot.

I tie a rope to the eyelet and the trailer jack.
    Back in an float the boat off.
    Pull up a little and untie the rope and put the boat where you want it.

To load...
    Back in and wet the bunks.
    Pull up until the top of the fender shows.
    Center the boat and drive it up but not all the way to the wench.
    Hook up the wench strap.
    Back the trailer in a little more and wench it tight.
    This works every time...NO problems at all.

I think some aluminum cracks might be caused by people power loading these boats and ramming the bow home with the odd angle pressure from the front of the boards. You do this over and over and over with the front edge hitting the boat at the same place...especially on a steep ramp. This can't be good. I just don't want to take chances.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast