Thread: Wire question

Wire question

More advice needed. I am getting ready to purchase wire for the wiring of my new graphs. My question is what kind of wire do I need and where can I get it at a reasonable price? I'm told I need 10gauge coming from my batteries to my fuse panel and 14 to my electronics. So many wires and not much knowledge on my end. Store recommendations or links would be great!

I'm not an expert, but 10 and 14 is what I've found as recommended. There's a ton of electronics installation info under the electronics sections here on BBC. If you'll be pulling new wires, get marine grade duplex wire. It'll get both wires through at once and the sheathing offers a layer of insulation too.

]2016 Phoenix 618 Yamaha 150 SHO

While many are successful running their electronics off buss fuse panels, it is recommended by Humminbird that the electrical supply of the graph be run directly to the cranking battery with a 3 amp inline fuse. This assures adequate power even when the motor is cranked assuming sufficient size battery is installed, and minimizes the chance of electrical interference from other devices on the buss. The wire should be minimum of 14 AWG with 12 or 10 giving more assurance. The wire used should be marine tinned wire. I personally prefer the Ancor brand and usually purchase from www.jamestowndistributers.com I also personally prefer duplex wire with a red and black wire in a single sheath.

4. Member
    I'm not running them into the boats panel, I bought a seperatly panel from blu seas just for the electronics. This is not recommended? This is all new to me, just figured it was and extra layer of protection and gave it a nice clean look.

You will have a fuse panel just for the electronics? Will work fine if that is what you want to do. I would recommend a 3 amp fuse for each run to each chart plotter and around a 7-10 amp inline fuse at the battery for the supply to the fuse panel. You will be running multiple devices off a single circuit but 10 AWG should be able to supply sufficient power.

For your consideration here is what I used to create a fuse panel at the battery itself. I just run each chart plotter off a 3 amp fuse on this panel and it keeps all the fuses in one neat place and eliminates in line fuse receptacles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 03-02-2016 at 02:57 PM.

6. Member
    It's all coming together, thanks.. Wildcat I bought a blue seas 5025 at blade fuse block. Handles 6 circuits.. Might at something at a later date but yes just for graphs. also gonna put a breaker at the batt @25amps so I can kill power when charging.

7. Banned
    If you have a Napa around you they should carry marine rated wire.

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    http://www.amazon.com/Ancor-121510-E...ds=marine+wire

and like Grout-scout said most NAPAs carry it
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

9. Member
    bestboatwire.com

10. Member
    I am also planning on running new wire to my new graph. I will be installing a helix 10si. Am planning on running 14 awg from the starting battery direct to the graph. Think that is what humminbird recommends. Plan on putting a 3 amp blade fuse at the junction of the 6 ft power cable and the direct wire. Anything to look out for or problems with that plan? Think the blue top optima battery for starting would be fine or need the dual purpose blue top?

11. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedrvm View Post
    I am also planning on running new wire to my new graph. I will be installing a helix 10si. Am planning on running 14 awg from the starting battery direct to the graph. Think that is what humminbird recommends. Plan on putting a 3 amp blade fuse at the junction of the 6 ft power cable and the direct wire. Anything to look out for or problems with that plan? Think the blue top optima battery for starting would be fine or need the dual purpose blue top?
    A fuse always belongs at the battery, not away at a distant junction.

12. Member
    Ok thanks.