Thread: Labor SUCKS

Labor SUCKS

Took the bike in for full service since I have not ridden her in 6 mos, 74.00 in parts 220.00 in Labor. Oh well felt good to ride.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Just got in a couple of trips to work early this week. Back to being cold again for the rest of the week. I have oil and filter to do my 10,000 mile service. Need to get that done before it gets real warn and I don't want to take the time to do it.

Buy a service manual. It'll pay for itself in very little time.

But I will admit there are times a mechanic charges a LOT because it's worth it!!
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

4. Member
    Well not sure if this will help anyone but i work at a harley dealership as a mechanic for the last 7 years and do everything from oil to engine builds so if you have any questions or are in md let me know and ill help out the best i can as i do side work n come to customers for half of what you pay at a shop

What area of Balt. I am up in Cecil County.

I've been an H-D tech for 15+ years. The dealership I currently work for charges $85/hr, up from the $72 we charged the last 3 yrs. Labor pays for the tech's time (we are flat-rate), tools, diagnostic equipment and shop supplies. Some labor rates are driven by local economics, others by the needs of the dealership. Despite what many think ("I'm getting gouged") most service departments are on the bottom end of the income ladder as far as dealerships go, meaning the parts, sales and clothes departments make more money off you. But, depending on the dealership, the techs are the most knowledgeable people in the dealership when it comes to their respective departments. Between the 4 of us currently working in the shop we have some 70 years experience working on H-Ds. There is not a lot we haven't seen. We are paid very well because we do the work quickly and with minimal comebacks. And we rely on each other when a tough problem comes up.

You may look at your bill and say "labor sucks" but do you have any idea what goes into the labor you paid for? I can tell you that I make a lot of money from people who try to do their repairs or have a "friend" do it for them. If you or your friend does it wrong who pays to redo it?
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

7. Member
    I had an 82 low rider/soft tail back in 2000. bought about 300 dollars in parts and labor was over 1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post
    Between the 4 of us currently working in the shop we have some 70 years experience working on H-Ds. There is not a lot we haven't seen.
    Cool! That means you can work on shovels and pans.
    Alan

9. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
    Cool! That means you can work on shovels and pans.
    You mean after a certain 'Knucklehead' tries to fix them, himself? ...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
    Buy a service manual. It'll pay for itself in very little time.

But I will admit there are times a mechanic charges a LOT because it's worth it!!

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    You mean after a certain 'Knucklehead' tries to fix them, himself? ...
    I'm not going there.
    Alan

I've been an H-D tech for 15+ years. The dealership I currently work for charges $85/hr, up from the $72 we charged the last 3 yrs. Labor pays for the tech's time (we are flat-rate), tools, diagnostic equipment and shop supplies. Some labor rates are driven by local economics, others by the needs of the dealership. Despite what many think ("I'm getting gouged") most service departments are on the bottom end of the income ladder as far as dealerships go, meaning the parts, sales and clothes departments make more money off you. But, depending on the dealership, the techs are the most knowledgeable people in the dealership when it comes to their respective departments. Between the 4 of us currently working in the shop we have some 70 years experience working on H-Ds. There is not a lot we haven't seen. We are paid very well because we do the work quickly and with minimal comebacks. And we rely on each other when a tough problem comes up.

You may look at your bill and say "labor sucks" but do you have any idea what goes into the labor you paid for? I can tell you that I make a lot of money from people who try to do their repairs or have a "friend" do it for them. If you or your friend does it wrong who pays to redo it?
    Never said anything about being gouged, I know there is overhead. Of course it would be nice if the mechs. got more of the hourly rate but in any case.........LABOR SUCKS.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

12. Member

I don't want to do it, so thank you
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

13. Member
    My Harley dealership is great & the mechanics have tons of experience. Worth the price. When I take my bike in even for an oil change, they check much more. But Yes, labor sucks!
    Harleytimes
    Triton SF21
    Honda 200hp

well put archer, we too have a wealth of experience in our service department, and it does make a difference, when that service includes probably 35 different things that are checked, most of which are preventive items to keep major expenses from happening in the future. I too think labor sucks every time I take my 7.3 in for service, but I also understand that those extra checks will pay for themselves in the long run

15. Member
    Yes thank you Ohio Archer.

I have no problem paying for experience, training, proper safety techniques and doing the job correct the first time.

People talk all the time about paying a living wage. The hourly rates also include benefits paid to the technician (vacation, holidays, post employment, medical etc plus other costs previously noted.

I worked in a company that had very good and experienced trade workers. Plumbers, bricklayers, electricians, mobile repairman etc.
    You can't believe how often coworkers attempted to hire these guys for a couple beers to do odd jobs around their homes because they didn't want to pay the going rate for the needed trade.

Can't have it both ways. We need to move to China if you want a tradesman charging $10 per hour. As long as the job is done correctly and safely, all is well.
    Last edited by Chautauquanuy; 10-04-2016 at 09:01 PM.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead