Can someone order a Nitro with an Evinrude?

Hi Nitro guys!

I'm in the market for my first one. Is it possible to get them equipped with an Evinrude? I like the thought of no winterizing and hopefully less maintenance. If I can do an Evinrude, are there any specific reasons why I'd want a Merc on it instead?

Thanks!

P.s. the boat I'm looking to get is the z19.

I'm sure you can, but I would rather get back to the ramp day after day with my Merc. than have an evirude on the back. Nothing but problems.
    Impulse Rods
    Abu Garcia Reels
    Cruncher Baits
    Mizmo Baits
    Pure Fishing
    Mootsie's Sport Center
    K9 Fishing Line
    Keitech Custom Baits
    Fulks' Custom Crankbaits

3. Member
    Not directly from Nitro. Brusnwick is shareholder in Tracker Marine Group so they won't sell you a boat from the factory w/o a Merc. If you want an Evinrude...that's going to be up to your dealer to switch them.

I'd go Merc...best outboard in the game IMO.

4. Member
    Gotcha. I'll have to read up some more then. I thought Evinrude was supposed to = less problems haha

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CRANKINSMALLIES View Post
    I'm sure you can, but I would rather get back to the ramp day after day with my Merc. than have an evirude on the back. Nothing but problems.
    I know someone who has had a G2 for 2 years and hasn't had any issues. I had an Evinrude once and it was the strongest motor I've ever had, problem was it wouldn't stay together. It wasn't a G2 or even an e-tec but it's made me gun shy to have another one. When I buy another boat I will look strongly at the G2. They all have problems. Get the one with the best warranty and give her hell lol

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crc863 View Post
    I thought Evinrude was supposed to = less problems haha
    Happened to be talking to the owner(OMC mechanic for over 30yrs) of a local Marine shop the other day. I was picking up a used lower unit for an old Evinrude 75hp.

We got talking about new motors and he said that he HATED the E-tecs. Said too many problems with them. He didn't much into specifics, though..so I have no idea what "problems" that he felt that E-Tecs were prone to.

He was def a fan of 4 strokes vs 2-stroke.

7. Member
    Yeah. The guy at the shop I talked to really had no preference. All he told me was "When they're taken care of properly both are good."

Just an FYI post. U have to order a Nitro with a Mercury. If your dealer is willing u can swap controls and engines with another brand possibly. It will cost you more.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    Pro's Choice Marine (world largest Nitro dealer) can not get a Nitro without a Merc. They can't even order a Nitro with no motor. I recently purchased a Z20 from them and asked if I could get a 250 Sho on it. That was there response. NO....

10. Member
    Mercury only.

11. Member
    Thanks everyone. Found a shop by me that would swap them out but definitely not worth the extra cost.

12. Member
    I was 100% set to buy a z21. Nitro was unwilling to sell just the boat. So that made the decision for me. No nitro. The extra hassle of having to sell the motor or find a dealer to do the trade in was not worth it. NOT WORTH BUYING A NITRO THAT IS, Im still buying the motor I want, just hanging it on a different boat.

I agree it's not worth it. But it works for me cause I only want a Merc.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Also have to remember, there has to be someone to work on it. I am sure there are many more merc dealers/techs per capita than others
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

16. Member
    There are many factors that lead to Tracker Marines great pricing. A main piece of that puzzle is only using Mercury engines. Can you imagine the discount on the engines when you call Mercury and say we need 20,000 engines for next year. Not to mention cables, controls, etc. They forecast how boats they will build for the next year and order that many engines. Reducing waste and sitting inventory. That is why they will not send a boat without a motor to a dealer. It messes the whole pricing inventory control strategy up that completes there pricing.

17. Member
    For that matter Skeeter is out, they only come w Yamahas. I would go with a Ranger. They look great with G2s. Youll be glad you spent the extra money when its time for resale. Best quality boat on the water.
    Dave Swimm - Ranger Z21, Yamaha Vmax 250 HPDI
    ‘17 Shearwater X22 Hybrid, Vmax 250 SHO
    I can't leave anything stock, I can't leave well enough alone.
    I need to customize everything. I think I can improve others
    designs, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVESWIMM View Post
    For that matter Skeeter is out, they only come w Yamahas. I would go with a Ranger. They look great with G2s. Youll be glad you spent the extra money when its time for resale. Best quality boat on the water.
    So we should be glad to loose the same amount of money when we sell? And we should be happy that the percentage is smaller, because the initial costs was higher.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Member
    Its all relative. Basically the 2 boats equally equipted are about 10k apart. Both brands depreciate 15-20k in the first year, 2nd year maybe another 10k and so on but at some point the Ranger depreciates less per year than Nitro, no insult intended, just the facts. Some boats hold there value better than others just like cars. I bought my 06 boat in 2010 and basically paid 1/2 of list price. Now, to be fair I've made some upgrades along the way added power poles, changed electronics, But for a 10 year old boat, i can get 25k all day long and the depreciation slows to a crawl from then on. Nitro depreciates a lot quicker not only in value but in just trying to keep the thing together. Ive been on of 2-3 year old Nitros with carpeting pulling off the trailer bunks, seats pulling apart ( Even seen a new Nitro at Bass Pro with a seat split at the seam) glove box doors falling out and just fit and finish items and lesser quality parts being used in the build that show why they are priced lower, not because they got a deal on the merc engine. so why not pay 10 k more and not worry about fixing things that wear immaturely. Therefor costing even more in the long run.Why not roll that extra value into the next boat or enjoy your boat longer without it depreciating to near zero. Johnny Morris brought in Ranger for a reason, Quality. Also lost sales to all the other boat companies. Ranger sells more boats than most other boat companies combined. Alot are ordered to customer specs with all boat/motor combinations and built for each customer. Like I said It's all relative.
    Dave Swimm - Ranger Z21, Yamaha Vmax 250 HPDI
    ‘17 Shearwater X22 Hybrid, Vmax 250 SHO
    I can't leave anything stock, I can't leave well enough alone.
    I need to customize everything. I think I can improve others
    designs, sometimes.