Boat lid installation shock tips

Hey guy i plan on installing lid shocks on my Triton when i get home. I will be installing them on both rod lockers, center console, and battery compartment. My question is how do you measure to put the brackets? Do you open the lids and measure the placement of the brackets with the shock fully extended? I really want to get it right first time to keep from drilling a bunch of holes. lol. Also i plan on using high quality epoxy for the bracket on the lid itself. I dont wanna drill do to the carpet possibly not covering the bolt heads. Any tips would be awesome. Thanks

Mount the. To the hull first. Then, be aware of their travel. I have seen guys mount them open but not take travel of the sock into account and when they try to close it compresses into itself before the lid is closed. So mount to the hull. Then find where to mount to the lid to allow for full open travel and full closed travel. Be aware that it may not be a straight shot between mounts but put the shock on an angle to compensate for travel of the shock and achieve a full open lid and full closed lid.

^ What he said! With the rod ends mounted to the gas springs, measure ball to ball extended, and compressed.
    Lay ruler on the deck next to the lid when closed, and put tape on the deck and the lid where the ball ends will be with spring in the compressed position (plus 1/4 - 1/2" for safety margin).
    Now open the lid, and measure from the tape on the deck to the tape on the lid - until extended length is reached.
    Shift the tapes back and forth and re-check, until you get the lid opening angle you are after.

Helps to google images of similar boats, to see approximate locations of existing installations.

Drill and through-bolt the brackets! They will be under a lot of stress, and even epoxy may not hold up. Use stainless pan-head or flat head machine screws - these will easily bury down into the carpet, and you'll never see or feel them. Use stainless flat washers and nyloc nuts on the underside. Bullet-proof!

And mount the gas springs with the rod end facing down - this keeps the seals lubricated.

ok guys thanks for the tips. I think i got it.

5. Member
    Hate to resurrect an old thread,but i'm still having trouble with what are excellent directions. It would seem to my feeble brain that close to the hinge point would be the best spot,but when i try to mount there,either the lid doesn't open far enough or if i get it to the point it will open far enough then it closes on itself before it's completely closed. What am i missing?