Great Lakes fishing

How many go out on the big water? Got a Fishhawk this winter and can't wait to try it out.

http://www.scvwl.com
    2013 Ranger 620VS Yamaha 250 and Yamaha 9.9 kicker

I'm out all the time. Live a mile away from the big pond and troll for trout and salmon quite frequently out of my Ranger 620.

Post your setup. We fish out of mcquades landing usually when we go. The Duluth harbor can be nasty so Personaly I stay away. Will be going up to baileys harbor this summer for at least one trip.

Wish I lived closer

I've fished quite a bit over the years on the bays of Lake Michigan and this was with a 17.5' tin deep V. With my new boat I plan to make these bays my home water. Plan to spend 3 weeks of vacation time fishing Door Co this summer and many day trips on Lake Michigan in the Chicagoland area.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

5. Member
    I have been fishing northern lake huron off Manitoulin Island for trout salmon bass etc off my bass boat for the last 14 years. Just sold my Ranger and have now switched to a 1775 Lund Impact sport. Just waiting for the snow to go now. Cannot wait.
    2004 Ranger 520 vs
    2004 Mercury 225 Optimax

6. Member
    red314, do you have bolts through your gunnels on your track/rail mounts for your holders and riggers? There are no access points to get to mine on my new to me triton 189 dcf...there is also a bunch of foam below my gunnels. Thought about just putting big stainless screws through the glass and countersinking the holes so it doesn't spiderweb.
    How did you do yours and how are they holding up?
    My salmon boat I just pulled the side panels and put aluminum rails underneath for support, but can't do that here on this one...
    Captn Doug
    Aboard The Walleye Xpress
    Xpress Fishing Charters, LLc
    Angler Qwest 826 ProTroll w 250 Suzuki
    2014 Ranger 621 Yamaha 300 and 9.9

My rails were installed at the factory. They are rock solid and even fallow the slight curve the boat has at the back. I've been meaning to call ranger and ask what kind of backer is under them. I'll try on my lunch break today.

My tracks are burts brand and they are working out great. The inserts are nice when I don't have all my Great Lakes gear on them. They make a nice step pad. I wasnt sure I would like them since I've never had a boat with them but they are really nice and it gives you alot of options.

8. Banned
    I spend some time out on Lake Michigan. Been fishing Door County annually for 40 years and the Chicago lakefront for 20. I hit Kenosha and Racine on occasion.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlazer View Post
    red314, do you have bolts through your gunnels on your track/rail mounts for your holders and riggers? There are no access points to get to mine on my new to me triton 189 dcf...there is also a bunch of foam below my gunnels. Thought about just putting big stainless screws through the glass and countersinking the holes so it doesn't spiderweb.
    How did you do yours and how are they holding up?
    My salmon boat I just pulled the side panels and put aluminum rails underneath for support, but can't do that here on this one...
    I would say screwing down your tracks is alright for mounting pole holders, but downriggers? I would never try that. Too much stress with those 5 or 10 pound balls in the water.

My 2016 620FS setup for trolling out on Lake Michigan

11. Member
    Having lived only 15 minutes from Lake Erie I fish it often.........great lake to fish when the wind is nice.........not so good when the wind is blowing........lots of walleyes, JUMBO perch and those pesty SM bass........

I fish the st' lawrence river and lake ont. mostly in oct.-Dec. for Musky

We get up to Green Bay / Sturgeon Bay a couple times a year... also hit the Milwaukee area 3-4 trips. Strangely enough most other trips are out on a 160 acre gem in Northwest IL.
    Just put downriggers on this summer and loving it. Bought the Fishhawk TD this summer as well and it's proven invaluable.

-Ryan W.
    Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    Mercury 250R
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112# iPilot Link
    Garmin GPSMap 1243xsv + 1243xsv @ Helm
    Garmin GPSMap 7616xsv + 1243xsv / Dual Livescope+ @ Bow

15. Member
    How well does your SI transducer work in that location?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 250ETECHO View Post
    How well does your SI transducer work in that location?
    works perfectly,for 4-5 yrs,i must have been working on something during that pic,,the cable is fastened to the jackplate,not hanging loose like in the pic.there is a 12" main jackplate and the kicker is on a 10" setback bracket,it has plenty of room to "see"