Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For those with the 17" bullet rims

I purchased a new to me boat and it has the 17 inch rims. It has general tire Altimax passenger tires. What tire pressure are you guys running in these tire rim combination. The sidewall is 44 psi. Never had this type of tire on a trailer hows the longevity been,? issues? Just looking for insight to this type of tire.

2. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    I run 60 psi cold on mine. Tows fine and gets me interstate speeds. Also, more friendly during tight turns and easier on seals and hubs. Ran same pressure on last boat with Bullets also. Never any trouble what so ever Sir. RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

3. Member
    Roger, do you the General Altmax tires? I have those with the bullet rims as well but I've never had them up to 60psi. Thx Steve
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

4. Member
    I inflated to 36-38 psi and it tow fine and I think the best answer is by calling ranger.
    2014 RANGER Z119C 225 PRO XS

5. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MakingWaves View Post
    Roger, do you the General Altmax tires? I have those with the bullet rims as well but I've never had them up to 60psi. Thx Steve
    Yes Sir.

6. Member
    Thx Roger
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    Tire plate on trailer says recommended 44psi. That's what I have in mine.
    Greg Wood
    2016 Ranger Z521c 250 Optimax Pro XS
    Dual Power-Pole Blades 10ft
    Lowrance HDS 12 Gen3's at Console and Bow

8. Member
    My plate doesn't list the tire that are on my trailer so that is interesting.

9. Member
    No less tha 50 and no more than 60, with RR on this one.

10. Member
    Contacted General Tire for their recommendation, and this was their response. Now What

Duane,

The attached photo is not very clear; however, we see that you selected Altimax RT as the tire. If this is the case, we recommend replacing this tire with a dedicated trailer tire. The Altimax RT is a passenger tire, designed for use on a car, not for a trailer application. If this is not the Altimax RT, please reply with a clear photo, or a confirmation of the tire name.

Haha......sounds like somebody's got some explaining to do at Ranger. My guess is they got someone at General tire to OK the use of these on trailers.
    My 17s run nice at 44lbs. Why 60?

12. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Haha......sounds like somebody's got some explaining to do at Ranger. My guess is they got someone at General tire to OK the use of these on trailers.
    60 carries the load better with less flexing, especially in tight turns. Lots easier on seals and hubs. Also, 60 PSI keeps heat down at interstate speeds of 70 to 75 mph......................My best advise would be to run what you feel comfortable with, but I will run my stated pressures in mine...................................RR

Quote Originally Posted by GhostComanche View Post
    60 carries the load better with less flexing, especially in tight turns. Lots easier on seals and hubs. Also, 60 PSI keeps heat down at interstate speeds of 70 to 75 mph......................My best advise would be to run what you feel comfortable with, but I will run my stated pressures in mine...................................RR
    I got that RR. Thats alot of pressure for a 44 psi tire. I know Goodyear approved of increased pressure on the Marathons to up speed limits, but have not heard General say this. Balloons filled to the max are much easier to pop, just saying.

14. Banned
    But a balloon doesn't carry a load down the highway. Under inflation causes heat, likewise an approved amount of over inflation (from what is on the tire sidewall) will stiffen the sidewall and reduce heat build up at higher speeds. But you already knew that.....

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    That's is percisley what Ranger said. The tire was brought to Ranger by General as a dual axle only tire as the tire load capacity is derated. Ranger also recommended the tire sidewall pressure, and as well stated do not let them go below the 44psi as excessive sway will result. So I can see why the higher although not stated on the tire is working so well. So it looks like in my mind 44 PSI is min and will try them at 50 and see how it goes.

16. Member
    This sure is confusing. I see that Ranger offers the 17 inch tires on the trailers that has a higher axel weight as a trailer option. My trailer is 3750 lbs axel weight and Ranger only offers the 14 inch tires which are ST (trailer) tires. If you go on the tire manufactures sites, they do not recommend running a passenger or light truck tire on a trailer. So they make an ST rated tire for a trailer. You read their literature and they state that the stresses put on a trailer tire are completely different than a passenger or light truck tire and the tire side wall is not constructed to handle them. So I don't know what to think. When I saw this post I was wondering why Ranger, Bass Cat is another, are offering a passenger or light truck tire on a trailer when the tire manufacture as you see in the above post says its not made to be run as a trailer tire.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 03-01-2016 at 07:00 PM.

not to high jack a thread but does anyone know the proper psi for the normal 14" tires....

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedicoh View Post
    not to high jack a thread but does anyone know the proper psi for the normal 14" tires....
    Im sure its marked on the side of the tire. Mine are marked no more than 50 psi

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    This sure is confusing. I see that Ranger offers the 17 inch tires on the trailers that has a higher axel weight as a trailer option. My trailer is 3750 lbs axel weight and Ranger only offers the 14 inch tires which are ST (trailer) tires. If you go on the tire manufactures sites, they do not recommend running a passenger or light truck tire on a trailer. So they make an ST rated tire for a trailer. You read their literature and they state that the stresses put on a trailer tire are completely different than a passenger or light truck tire and the tire side wall is not constructed to handle them. So I don't know what to think. When I saw this post I was wondering why Ranger, Bass Cat is another, are offering a passenger or light truck tire on a trailer when the tire manufacture as you see in the above post says its not made to be run as a trailer tire.
    I'm wondering how the stresses of a trailer tire are so much different than a light truck or suv tire? Trailers's don't deal with 500+ ft lbs of torque, hp or twist. There's no hard steering lateral forces like on the front of a car. Trailers brake, but far less than the tow vehicle. Trailers carry a load, in rated pounds, and that's it. The suspension does not travel as far as a car or truck, and trailers mostly don't have shocks, but cars/trucks drive way more miles at far higher speeds. How is that easier than trailering?
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

20. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Let’s bear in mind that this thread is going on 3 years old now. Your question is a valid one, Albert, but tire builds and recommended usages may have changed in that period of time, and the specific examples cited might not be as relevant today. Unless, of course, you or someone else has the 17” bullet rim with the General tire. Otherwise, a new thread might work better. My $.02.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast