Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Please keep us informed. Thanks

2. Member
    They said to run the 91 Octane (because it was such a big jump to 325) and if that didn't fix it he said check to see that my engine is putting out 100% power available. He thinks it's going into guardian mode... which I guess is good!! But why does it NEED to go into guardian mode at only 6400 RPM's if it CAN go to 6900 now? Is there something else wrong that guardian mode is detecting? Tech said EVERYTHING else checked out perfectly...

I'm going to prop it for 6300 and leave it at that!!

3. Member
    What you should've done was go with the guy with many more years experience than trying to save a couple hundred bucks. lol.

http://www.simonmotorsports.com/

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

4. Member
    Ya think? Lol!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Remember that the rev limiter shouldn't be perceived as a "set figure". It's more of a RANGE of approximately 400-500 RPM's.

PCM may limit RPM's based on load, and how rapidly you are approaching upper RPM band.

If load is low, and the RPM's are climbing rapidly, the PCM may limit RPM's earlier (it perceives that an overspeed condition is impending and very likely to occur... in other words "nope... we're not going to let that happen").

Numerous faults can also enact Guardian... which (as you were told) will limit the available power.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derwood-Guy View Post
    They said to run the 91 Octane (because it was such a big jump to 325) and if that didn't fix it he said check to see that my engine is putting out 100% power available. He thinks it's going into guardian mode... which I guess is good!! But why does it NEED to go into guardian mode at only 6400 RPM's if it CAN go to 6900 now? Is there something else wrong that guardian mode is detecting? Tech said EVERYTHING else checked out perfectly...

I'm going to prop it for 6300 and leave it at that!!
    What fuel octane are you currently running. I agree higher octane will fix problem. If not ask about spark plug heat range and gap higher horsepower verado model might be different and you moved your power into that playing field. More than likely it's octane rating this plays a big role with increased cylinder pressure tuning up boost.

7. Member
    I have a few gallons of 87 still in one tank. Really appreciate all the help everyone!

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derwood-Guy View Post
    I have a few gallons of 87 still in one tank. Really appreciate all the help everyone!
    Good detail to have.

If they're doing what I "suspect" they are... you will need high-test fuel (91+ octane) to achieve peak performance. PCM is likely retarding the timing due to the current fuel octane (based on knock-strategy).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12