Thread: Towing question

Towing question

I currently have a park model (wife wasn't really interested in "going" anywhere when I bought it) that I drug out west to Yellowstone last year and the family loved it. We are going to Yosemite this year and I'm considering upgrading to a fifth wheel. I've found a pretty good buy on a used one but want to make sure towing won't be an issue. I have a 2013 Chevy 2500HD with the duramax. I've looked a bunch of places and can't really tell if I'm good or not. The camper I'm looking at has the following specs.

Length 40 ft 7 in
    Ext Width 8 ft 4 in
    Ext Height 12 ft 11 in
    Interior Color Marble
    Hitch Weight 2295 lbs
    Dry Weight 12135 lbs
    Cargo Weight 4160 lbs
    Fresh Water Capacity 85 gals
    Grey Water Capacity 82 gals
    Black Water Capacity 82 gals
    Tire Size 16"
    Furnace BTU 40000 btu

The specs on the truck seem to be ok with this but wondering what you guys think.

Jim

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I don't really think I'd try that on anything less than a 3500 DRW.

By the time you load the rig and put your family in the truck you will be pushing or over your GCVWR. That will limit your pin weight to less than a ton.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Can you.... Yes.... Should you....No. If you happen to have a wreck I good attorney and/or the insurance company will look at the specs on the trailer and the truck before they sue or pay the claim. Just my 2 cents but if it were me I would call your insurance company agent before doing anything.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

That would be a load for your 3/4 ton. The dry weight is not that bad, but the pin weight is more than what would be comfortable with a single rear wheel. You factor in the dry weight plus what you add to the gross total with stuff you put in the trailer and you should consider a dually. Not to mention, the length of the trailer at speed, dual wheels will feel so much more stable on the road.
    Last edited by bassn5150; 02-25-2016 at 10:33 PM.

I agree with the others. A 3/4 ton can tow it but you need a 1 ton for that trailer. That's a lot of trailer.

6. Member
    I appreciate the info, wasn't even thinking about pin weight. Looks like I'm still searching.

7. Member
    Agree with the other poster's..too big for a 2500..one more thing, any rv that long will restrict you on places that you want to go..especially the mountain park's out west..keep that in mind

8. Member
    I tow a fifth wheel the same size and weight with a SRW 2013 3500 and have also done it with my 2005 2500 and both trucks handle it just fine. You also have to keep in mind that I also have my Nitro Z9 hooked to the back of it too. It can be done and done safely. I can't speak for the original poster's experience and ability for towing heavy but it can be done if you do your homework.