Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

E-Z Loader , Never again

I wanted to share a recent experience with my E-Z Loader trailer, and why I will NEVER consider buying a trailer from them again.

I have a 2013 Skeeter FX 20, and it came with an E-Z Loader tandem axle trailer. From day one, the trailer vibrated, and did not pull well at all. Not only that, but the actuator was "loose" when starting and stopping. I was told this was normal, and the vibration would go away after the tires "settled in". It did go away at certain speeds, at others, and especially going up hill, it was bad. A year into owning the boat, I had to replace certain tires at certain times due to un even wear. I took it to a shop, and they said the axles weren't even tightened all of the way causing the uneven tire wear. At the same time, and I remind you this was 1 year into the new boat/trailer, 3 of the 4 Vault hubs had to be replaced, due to water and bearing damage. I had the bearings replaced, all 4 tires, and EZ loader covered it. 6 months later the Vortex bearing covers started flying off. I lost 3 in a 1 month span, and had other wheel bearing covers installed. That was all done last June, not 2 years into this trailer. In September, I had to take it in AGAIN to have the actuator replaced. The actuator is made by a different company, so I had to go through hoops, and pull teeth to get my actuator replaced. Today, I had 3 of the 4 bearings replaced AGAIN, E-Z Loader will not cover. In addition, I was told the axles are leaking causing the arm to sag, causing (again) un even tire wear. E-Z Loader told me that ANOTHER company makes the axles, so I have to go through them. I would think after buying a $55,000 boat, E-Z Loader would do whatever it could to at least take ownership of the 3rd parties they use to make their trailers. I could have bought a new trailer for what I have spent on this thing, and will NEVER be buying an EZ Loader trailer again. They are made poorly, with cheap components, and do not take ownership of their products. It's almost like the trailer is undersized for the boat weight. I know a lot of people have had issues with this company as well, so I'd like to hear some similar examples, as fight with them.

2. Member
    Hey, Ifishforbass,

This is Mike Horberg. I am the warranty manager of EZ Loader Custom Boat trailers and I am the person you have been dealing with in your warranty claim. I figured since this was out here that I would add the parts to the story that you decided to leave out.

In August of 2015 you had taken your trailer to a shop for warranty work without contacting anyone here at EZ Loader to begin with. The shop changed out the bearings on the axles and changed the bearing protectors and grease to a different kind than the factory original Vault system from UFP.

After the work was done EZ Loader was contacted and went ahead and paid this claim in full even though the proper procedures were not followed. Most companies would have denied the claim on the spot at this point.

Yesterday you had emailed again saying that the bearings had gone out again and again you had a shop install new parts on the trailer before contacting for warranty approval. I contacted the shop, under your direction and spoke with the service manager. His report, that he even told you, was that the bearings failed this time because of water and rust damage to do neglect of proper maintenance.

When a part on a trailer that requires maintenance fails because the maintenance was not upheld that claim is going to get denied by every single trailer company in the country.

Today I asked you to send in pictures of the axles as you said the rubber boot support components were coming out of the torsion housing, as I am not sure how this is possible and would like to see it. I am not making you contact a third party company. I asked you to send them to me and I would do all the leg work in getting in contact with UFP, the company that makes the axles.

If there is a legitimate defect in the axle on the trailer it will be covered under warranty and I am still here waiting for those pictures.

Sincerely,
    Mike Horberg
    EZ Loader Custom Division
    Warranty Manager

3. Member
    it is physically impossible to have any rubber components come out of the axle. There is not enough room for the cap to come off because it is trapped between the trailing arm and the body of the axle. Behind that is a plastic bushing. In order to access any rubber components you would have to remove the trailing arm completely, then the cap that is screwed in place, and finally the thick plastic bushing.

ITS ON NOW

Small world - hope it all comes out with a happy ending!

6. Member
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

7. Member
    I've had issues with my 2007 I class as well. My axle rotated up and busted my fender and destroyed my hub. The fender alone was $1098 plus $250 to ship. I was going to buy just the axle, but to do so you have to remove the torsion arm, which will absolutely not come off. I've tried everything and had guys with experience try everything. I tried drowning it with pb, bearing puller, fly wheel pullers, heat, you name it and I've tried it. It broke a my flywheel puller even. With heat I was able to rotate the arm back but it won't last. I called the company and had little help. They explained that the 06 and 07 ezload trailers had a lot of issues and the prices showed when I called. Now I'm looking at having to buy a full axle assembly with torsion arms when I don't need the arms at all but they will not come off. I wish parts were not so expensive and service was better. I'll probably never have another one either. Good luck man

8. Member
    Mike, Glad you chimed in.
    I don't think I left anything out. I was pretty clear when I said E-Z Loader covered the first claim a year and a half into owning the trailer, and dropped the fact that I could have bought a new trailer for what I/We have spent on this one.
    I do not claim to be an expert on trailers, nor should I be, but the folks that work on my trailer are. As far as what happened to the axles, I only know what they told me. You have their contact info, and if it was important to help your customer, you could have picked up the phone and called him to resolve the matter, leaving me (who isn't a trailer expert) out of the situation.

I wasn't going to mention this, but the only reason I did get reimbursed for the work on the trailer the first time, was because I sent e-mail after e-mail for 2 months until you finally replied. I also did not mention that when the actuator went out, I was pawned off on your partner, (You did NOT take ownership of that) who attempted to trouble-shoot over the phone for weeks, saying the brakes needed to be bled. The trailer dealer told them it needed to be replaced from day one, but they fought us until we exhausted every option, and ALOT of time. Finally, after a month or so, it was replaced. Now the axle is having issues, and when you told me "EZ Loader does not cover the axles directly, I will forward them to the company that makes the axles, and see if they are covered". Those are your words.

I would expect to hear something back in the neighborhood of 3-4 weeks if I am being persistent.

In under 2 years of owning this trailer (brand new), every part, including the winch stand, which sheared in 1/2 and had to be welded back together, (THAT I did not mention, or even bother to file a claim for), has failed, period. That is not even debatable. Maybe quality control should be more a priority on trailers that pull $55,000 boats?

This has not been a pleasurable experience, with having to keep taking my trailer in for days/weeks at a time, tow it 100's of miles to have it serviced, and not having any confidence in your product while towing.

I will also repeat, this is not my first E-Z Loader trailer, and until this particular one, I have had no issues other than wear and tear after years of use, which is expected. My issue is the up-hill battle, lack of response, and overall poor quality of this particular trailer. Again, not even debatable.

9. Member
    Krackajack11,

Send me a PM with the vin number of your trailer or you can call me directly at 1-800-553-7855 ext 239. I'm sure that I can help you with this.

Mike Horberg
    Warranty Manager

10. Member
    I have done procurement for aerospace products. All issues that deal with a purchased product are the responsibility of the seller. If that product is defective, and the defect is with a part, piece or product of a subcontractor of the major assembly that I managed the purchase of, the responsibility for that part lies with the ultimate seller of the finished product.
    In other words, if I bought an airplane from Boeing with Rolls Royce engines, and the engine blew up, it's Boeing's fault for not assuring Rolls Royce sold them a good engine. Boeing pays.
    If EZ-loader buys defective axles and I said IF, then they not the axle manufacturer is responsible for the axle's fitness for use.
    G I G O; garbage in, garbage out.
    I have an EZ Loader trailer, it has worked fine by me.

I might add this is within a reasonable amount of time, or a warranty period.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 02-25-2016 at 10:22 AM.

I don't have a dog in this fight, mine is a Marine Master, but the Vault hubs have been problem free for 5 years now. The thing I notice while reading all of this, proper procedures were not followed as far as obtaining warranty work. Most companies would have refused your claim from the start.

12. Member
    EZ loader trailers are rust buckets! I hope when I decide on a new boat, it doesn't come with an EZ loader..

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    EZ loader trailers are rust buckets! I hope when I decide on a new boat, it doesn't come with an EZ loader..
    My rust bucket has been great since 2003...

14. Member
    Considering the number of EZ Loader trailers out there compared to the number of issues I would say they are no better or worse than other non custom trailers. I was a little upset that one of my leaf springs broke a few months out of warranty but I called EZ Loader and was sent a new spring and got the trailer fixed soon after that.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

While i understand the frustration of constant issues on something new the sad reality is that it happens. Sometimes you just get some bad parts I know that doesnt make the person having the issues feel any better but it happens and we have all been there at some point buying something. Same with warranty service when millions of an item are sold there are bound to be some issues and you simply cannot please everybody. Best of luck getting everything straightened out.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I have a 2007 ezloader trailer on an I class maybe you can explain to me how my fenders are cracked at every corner and seam? I know guys with ranger trailers and they do not have this issue….I know this is a redundant problem with all fiberglass ezloader trailers!!! CRAP! OO And let me add I have had to reweld 40% of my trailer due to cracked welds. I have to tell my buddies hey don’t stand on the fender step because they might break….

2007 Skeeter 20i class, Yamaha HPDI 250 "If the boat does not rock on your hookset, you are not setting it HARD ENOUGH!!" **Common sense is not common, it is a function of experience and training**

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhunt View Post
    I have a 2007 ezloader trailer on an I class maybe you can explain to me how my fenders are cracked at every corner and seam? I know guys with ranger trailers and they do not have this issue….I know this is a redundant problem with all fiberglass ezloader trailers!!! CRAP! OO And let me add I have had to reweld 40% of my trailer due to cracked welds. I have to tell my buddies hey don’t stand on the fender step because they might break….

I had to have someone fix several welds on my ez loader also. Mine is a 2001 and this was several years ago. Haven't had any issues since.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhorberg View Post
    Krackajack11,

Send me a PM with the vin number of your trailer or you can call me directly at 1-800-553-7855 ext 239. I'm sure that I can help you with this.

Mike Horberg
    Warranty Manager
    this is how is should be done..

19. Banned
    I had a early 2000's skeeter with an EZ-loader, I didn't chase warranty work since I wasn't the first owner, with that said it had some very very serious structural issues due to rusting out after only a few years of freshwater use. EZ-loader made a poor product for skeeter in that time frame and they've got a well deserved reputation for it... thats all I've got to say about it.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnhunt View Post

Comparing a Ranger Trail with any other trailer is just WRONG. It's not a fair fight.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast