livewell pumps have to prime?

Hey all I'm thinking of re plumbing both of my livewells. I have a 94 17scx and it takes quite a while for these livewells to start filling up. I'm wondering if it will be more efficient to just build new systems or buy new valves? Anyone else had the issue of the pumps having to "prime" before water starts filling up?

2. Member
    My 1999 20' ProCraft takes about 30 seconds to prime. I just run the pumps during warmup and leave a couple inches in the livewell and then it flows instantly.

3. Member
    Mine takes several minutes to prime. I'm wondering if it's time to re plumb it

4. Member
    Are your pumps in factory location(below water line)? Mine start pumping almost immediately. (94 180 dual pro)

5. Member
    Yep they're in the factory location

6. Member
    May be an obstruction. If they are below the water line, they should prime as soon as the boat is in the water. What position do you keep the valves in, when your not using the wells?

7. Member
    I keep them in the open position

8. Member
    That's where I keep mine.

9. Member
    Hmm maybe I have a valve problem. Do you have recirculation on yours and if so do you even use it?

10. Member
    I keep mine open until I fill them. Once full, I put them on recirc.

this may sound funny but I had that problem with my 97 1800, if your pumps have that 90deg elbow coming out of them like mine do make sure the discharge is pointing up and they will prime instantly, mine wouldn't prime at all till I noticed that the discharge was pointed down.
    Kelly
    97 Astro 1800DC/ Merc 150

12. Member
    I don't have a recirculation but I found out mine were upside down too. They also had a bad valve on one of them. It's working good now

13. Member
    Ok so I noticed one wierd thing...maybe it's always done this and I've never noticed it....but I had the boat on the trailer and i was finishing cleaning it up. I flipped the master switch on and I heard a humming noise coming from the bilge area where the livewells are... it feels like the port livewell pump is doing something, but when I flip the port switch on I can hear it kick on. The sound stays for a bit and then goes off... Do these pumps make any kind of noise when they prime? or are they attempting to self prime with the master power switch on? I'm half tempted to just rewire the whole damn boat at this point.