Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dartag1829

Bass Boat in Salt Water

Posted this in the Ranger board before I knew there was a salt water board.

Anyone ever use there Bass Boat in the salt water. Thinking about bringing my boat to Fla next winter. Would be fishing fresh water most of the time but thought it would be fun to put it in the intercostal a couple times. I know I would have to flush it and wash the trailer after. Any other concerns I should consider.

2. Member
    Depending on what kind of outboard you have, you may want to post on the board for that outboard. Just to play it safe. Its the outboard you have to worry about I believe.

3. Member
    I think you would be okay, but make sure you wash it thoroughly afterwards.

4. Member
    If your trailer is painted steel, it will suffer after a soaking in saltwater. That said, I fished a 19 ft Skeeter bass boat for years in the salt, galvanized trailer and had no issues. Washed after every trip and flush the motor per Mfg directions. Consider spraying your under dash connections with something like CorrosionX, same with the motor and your running light plugs before you go. Saltwater is tough on your gear if unprotected. Good luck.

5. @delta_fisher
    I run my Triton Tr18 in saltwater all the time. I fish 99.99999% for striped bass in the ca delta and the estuaries surrounding it. Half of the year I chase them in the salt of the SF bay. Wash everything then wash it down again. Everything will be fine as long as you clean out any salt.
    99 Triton TR18 DC
    99 Evinrude Ficht 150

Striped bass angler, CA Delta

@delta_fisher @pondscumanglers
    @limitlures @slyguylures
    @nor.cal.kat

fish salt water 1st, then IMMEDIATLY haul ass to fish in fresh water as soon as load boat up from salt fishing. that outta cover it

7. Member
    Rinsing the trailer is not sufficient, especially a painted steel trailer.

Do what Bass AHolic said. As soon as your done fishing salt, go directly to the nearest freshwater ramp. Run the motor to flush it and back in several times to move freshwater over the entire trailer. Back in deep to ensure the trailer is submerged further than it was in salt. Run your trolling motor and powerpoles/talons. Dip the net and any other object that saw saltwater.

Then, when you get home. Rinse everything (not carpet) off with saltaway. it leaves a thin film to protect from your next saltwater bath.

Inspect/replace brake pads before your long trip home. The brake pad backing plates rust causing problems with the cylinder seals and uneven wear.

Expect screws, nuts, bolts, electronics, etc to all have a much shorter life span.

Metal that is not 316 Stainless Steel will corrode.

Fluid Film, Boeing 709, or CorrosionX are now your best friends. Remove plastic covers/guards and Spray the full/whole/all of it/every bit of the powerhead, especially the areas under the skirt/lower cowlings, can also be used anywhere salt spray or salt air can get, avoid carpet and read the label.

Electronics on the bow will need extra attention. They get direct salt spray. Dielectric grease or No-OX all the connectors. Full rinse in freshwater, clean the screens, etc.
    Pull your front panel and spray the back of the whole thing with Fluid Film, Boeing 709, or CorrosionX (seasonal).

Anodes. Inspect/replace your anodes before the first dunk. They should be in great condition otherwise replace. Inspect every season.
    Add anodes to your trolling motor.

Electrical connections. Double walled adhesive lined heat shrink and Double walled adhesive lined heat shrink connectors are the only way to go. Ancor brand for example. If saltwater gets past the wire insulation the whole line is done. The wires turn black and die.

No magnesium reels.

This may come across as dooms day stuff but the reality is the salt guys deal with this on a regular basis.
    A little preventative maintenance will go a long way.
    Identify potential problems and fix them prior to failure.

8. Member
    The best way to protect your bass boat is not use it in saltwater.

9. Banned
    It's saltwater, not acid. I used a 90's Tracker extensively in brackish and saltwater for years without any ill. Yes that includes the original tube Tracker trailer. Wash it, Flush the motor and quit worrying.

10. Member
    I fish brackish 75 %, fresh 20 %, salt 5 %. Flush the outboard and wash everything down with high pressure garden hose as soon as you get in.

40 years of this with no problem.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davecon View Post
    I fish brackish 75 %, fresh 20 %, salt 5 %. Flush the outboard and wash everything down with high pressure garden hose as soon as you get in.

40 years of this with no problem.
    My percentages are amazingly similar to Davecon's listed above. I was 5 years old 40 years ago so he has more a little more experience than me in this area but I also follow his guidelines flushing and washing when I'm done and also have not had any problems...

The only exception to this is that most bass boats come with painted trailers and the salt will eventually win that war...but will still take some years to do it if you are diligent about your wash routine. I'm having that problem currently with my painted trailer but having an aluminum trailer being built for it now that should fix that right up for several more years of trouble free boating.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

Heres my bass boat . Actually I was just seeing if I could post a picture .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sharp looking flats boat!!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

14. Member
    Saltwater is the devil !!

15. Member
    I know this is not answer you were looking for. I switch to 22 bay and i will never go back to bass boat. unless I start running tournaments again. Twice the fishing room. I can fish just as shallow and even take off in shallower water. I grew up in bass boat at Holidy Park my last one was Startos 201 pro awesome boat. I am in Nautic Star 215 XTS no regrets. I fish Cedar Key , Rodman, St John and the Mantanza River. Just my two cents

16. Member
    The boat and the motor are not the problem, it’s definitely the trailer. A steel trailer will disintegrate in salt water. No amount of rinsing will save it either.

17. Member
    If your gonna do it, bring a garden sprayer mixed with freshwater and salt away. Spray done the trailer immediately after launch and load. After the trip, finding a freshwater ramp isn’t a bad idea. After you get back, spray everything down with salt away.

18. Member
    Old thread I guess!!

But on topic...I wouldn't worry about the saltwater. Depending where you are, there's a very good chance you can launch in fresh water and run to the salt. Hose everything down and flush the engine when done. Anything else is unnecessary.

19. Member
    4 year old thread, but i have the answer... use my boat

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    Old thread I guess!!

But on topic...I wouldn't worry about the saltwater. Depending where you are, there's a very good chance you can launch in fresh water and run to the salt. Hose everything down and flush the engine when done. Anything else is unnecessary.
    I didn't realize this at first but this is what I do. I bought a 1448 jon boat and 25hp motor to fish in the bay on vacation. The ramp I use is actually a freshwater creek and you can tell that the salt and freshwater don't mix for a while after the creek dumps into the bay. So I've been flushing my motor with good water for three trips and didn't know it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast