Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You either have a blown fuse in the truck, bad wiring, loose connector or a failed solenoid on the trailer.

When your backup lights come on, a solenoid on the trailer energizes and disables the brakes.

First, check the backup lights on the truck to see if they work, check your trailer fuses in the truck and look at the connector paying close attention to the blue wire.
    Actually....mine has been acting up more and more lately....mainly while backing up a moderate incline to get in my driveway. I had my son get out and jiggle all connections and check that backup lights on trailer were working.....they were. He heard no "clicking' sound to indicate the actuator was working. Bad A60 actuator or something else I should check?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt651 View Post
    Actually....mine has been acting up more and more lately....mainly while backing up a moderate incline to get in my driveway. I had my son get out and jiggle all connections and check that backup lights on trailer were working.....they were. He heard no "clicking' sound to indicate the actuator was working. Bad A60 actuator or something else I should check?
    Not the whole actuator. The fact that you have trouble backing indicates your actuator is working as it should. The problem is with the solenoid at the back of the actuator.

The solenoid doesn't click. It's a softer sound and can be very hard to hear with the truck running. Trace the blue wire as it runs into the tongue and you'll find the solenoid. Placing an ear next to it and shift in and out of reverse will tell you if it is working. Even if it makes noise it could still be bad, but no noise tells you something isn't working.

My bet is your solenoid is bad or the blue wire going to it has broken. That area of the tongue has moving parts and is exposed to road debris, so a broken wire is not uncommon. You can also have the issue of a bad ground on the solenoid. The trailer frame is grounded, but unless a wire is run to the solenoid, it has to get its ground through the actuator which isn't firmly fastened to the tongue. Some trailers have trouble getting a ground to the solenoid, and some solenoids have a ground screw on them to attach a wire.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Not the whole actuator. The fact that you have trouble backing indicates your actuator is working as it should. The problem is with the solenoid at the back of the actuator.

The solenoid doesn't click. It's a softer sound and can be very hard to hear with the truck running. Trace the blue wire as it runs into the tongue and you'll find the solenoid. Placing an ear next to it and shift in and out of reverse will tell you if it is working. Even if it makes noise it could still be bad, but no noise tells you something isn't working.

My bet is your solenoid is bad or the blue wire going to it has broken. That area of the tongue has moving parts and is exposed to road debris, so a broken wire is not uncommon. You can also have the issue of a bad ground on the solenoid. The trailer frame is grounded, but unless a wire is run to the solenoid, it has to get its ground through the actuator which isn't firmly fastened to the tongue. Some trailers have trouble getting a ground to the solenoid, and some solenoids have a ground screw on them to attach a wire.
    Thanks. I meant the solenoid. I will check the blue wire thoroughly and the ground before I order a new solenoid.

You can still back up by turning the disk in front of the brake solenoid to "lock out" the hydraulics... if you have that feature. It prevents the compression of the assembly that activates the solenoid.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

5. Member

6. Member
    I've seen several do this, and on some, one of the bolts in the brake caliper had fallen out allowing the caliper to rotate when backing up and locking up the wheel. Seen a couple of rims ruined from this.

7. BBC SPONSOR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12