"OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar

Thumbs Up Did MY first oil/lube on the 150 4-stroke

How incredibly easy! $105 and 1.5 hours of my time. Oil, filter, LU lube, new o-rings on the LU plugs, and a new low pressure fuel filter. 6 qts. puts it right in the middle of the high and low mark on the dipstick. Good for another year!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

2. Member
    Doing mine this weekend.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

3. Member
    I had my dealer do it last weekend just because it was the first time (20hr) next year I will do it myself and save $100.

Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post

How incredibly easy! $105 and 1.5 hours of my time. Oil, filter, LU lube, new o-rings on the LU plugs, and a new low pressure fuel filter. 6 qts. puts it right in the middle of the high and low mark on the dipstick. Good for another year!
    Where did you get the new o rings for the LU and the gear lube pump? Was it a kit of some sort? Thanks.

5. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    $105 for a 6qt oil change seems high!

6. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post
    Where did you get the new o rings for the LU and the gear lube pump? Was it a kit of some sort? Thanks.
    New o-rings were included in the 100 hour maintenance kit you see there on the right. Gear lube pump came from Walmart ($11.00). The yellow fitting on the end of the pump screws right in to the lower drain plug hole.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

7. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    $105 for a 6qt oil change seems high!
    6qts of oil, oil filter, 1qt of gear lube, gear lube pump, low pressure fuel filter and lower unit drain plug o-rings. The kit also came with a high pressure fuel filter, but I didn't change that.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    New o-rings were included in the 100 hour maintenance kit you see there on the right. Gear lube pump came from Walmart ($11.00). The yellow fitting on the end of the pump screws right in to the lower drain plug hole.
    Thanks. I found this kit on Amazon, it look like what you used.

http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Mainte.../dp/B00V8ZHXXI
    Product Description
    Maintain with confidence using genuine Mercury parts! This kit (P/N 8M0094232) contains the parts necessary to perform 100-hour maintenance on your Mercury 150 HP EFI FourStroke outboard, except for oil and lubricants. This kit includes: 1 Oil Filter 1 Low-pressure Fuel Filter 1 High-pressure Fuel Filter 2 Gearcase Drain Seals

I'm at about 90 hours since my last oil change so I'll be needing it real soon.

9. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida

Product Description
    Maintain with confidence using genuine Mercury parts! This kit (P/N 8M0094232) contains the parts necessary to perform 100-hour maintenance on your Mercury 150 HP EFI FourStroke outboard, except for oil and lubricants. This kit includes: 1 Oil Filter 1 Low-pressure Fuel Filter 1 High-pressure Fuel Filter 2 Gearcase Drain Seals

That's only $80

10. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    That's only $80
    You lost me here. What's only $80?
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

11. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I had my dealer do it last weekend just because it was the first time (20hr) next year I will do it myself and save $100.
    That's exactly what I did. Dealer did the 20 hour for me last year. I'm gonna do it from here on out. I'll take it in for the high pressure fuel filter in a couple of years, but I can do everything else. I think I can even change the drive belt on the 3yr/300hr check. It looks pretty straight forward.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

12. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar

Product Description

Yep, that's the kit.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Product Description

Please see/read the Announcements at the top of the forum. Thank you!

That's not a bad deal... but it does not comply with forum guidelines/rules.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Sorry, didn't realize it was against the rules.

15. Member
    Hey Guys, about to do my first 100hr service on my 4-Stroke 150 as well... Quick question - when putting the prop back on after the lower unit oil/lube change what kind of grease/lube do I put on the propshaft to prevent seizure?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjosebass View Post
    Hey Guys, about to do my first 100hr service on my 4-Stroke 150 as well... Quick question - when putting the prop back on after the lower unit oil/lube change what kind of grease/lube do I put on the propshaft to prevent seizure?
    Nevermind guys - found it! Extreme Grease or the 2-4-C with PTFE.

17. Member
    A few referenced a 20 hour oil change, but in the Mercury manual I only saw it reference a 100 hour oil change. Did I miss the 20 hour piece in the manual, or is the 20 hour change something that folks typically do? I'm close to 20 hours on my 150 four stroke and want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

18. Member
    The 20 hour change is recommended but not required for warranty coverage.