Thread: Apple CEO

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Apple CEO

So Apple's CEO says he won't help the FBI open the phone used by the two terrorists that killed all those innocent people in San Bernardino even though there is a legal warrant to open the phone....."Apple has responded to a California judge's order to help the FBI break into the phone of one of the San Bernardino shooters with saying it opposes such a move, labeling the instruction "an overreach by the U.S. government."

I'm confused, isn't that obstruction of justice? They have a court order.

I assume that the court could mandate that Apple open the phone. If the court does so, I wonder how they will respond? They better discuss this with the PR folks before the CEO opens his mouth.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

I like the move. It sets more precedent for the gov't FORCING a company to do something. If the FBI can't do it themselves or contract it out then so sad, too bad.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

The FBI needs help breaking into a phone ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

6. Member
    I can only hope that privately they help break into the phone, but publically they say they will not in order to let terroists and other criminals believe their phone is a safe harbor..

I don't think it is about opening that single phone. The CEO, from what I understood, has an issue with creating software that creates a "backdoor" into the iPhone. He explained that creating something with that much power could pose some serious threats to the millions of iPhone users. I think the CEO would gladly decrypt that single phone if it was that easy. Since it isn't that easy, he is worried that something that allows access to any iPhone could get in the hands of the wrong people and any iPhone could be hacked.

That's how I understood his statement, whether that's actually how he meant it or not.
    Lee Blakeman

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by stratos195 View Post
    I don't think it is about opening that single phone. The CEO, from what I understood, has an issue with creating software that creates a "backdoor" into the iPhone. He explained that creating something with that much power could pose some serious threats to the millions of iPhone users. I think the CEO would gladly decrypt that single phone if it was that easy. Since it isn't that easy, he is worried that something that allows access to any iPhone could get in the hands of the wrong people and any iPhone could be hacked.

That's how I understood his statement, whether that's actually how he meant it or not.
    That is a serious issue.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by stratos195 View Post

+1

It appears the security on the phone will erase the data after a certain number of failed attempts to unlock it. There could be a lot of good intel on that phone.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

The phone was employer issued. So here is the question - if the owner of the phone agrees - what's it matter?

Seems like a slightly different issue than if it was personally owned. I know most employers say if you use their equipment, they have the right to see anything on it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishandski26 View Post
    So Apple's CEO says he won't help the FBI open the phone used by the two terrorists that killed all those innocent people in San Bernardino even though there is a legal warrant to open the phone....."Apple has responded to a California judge's order to help the FBI break into the phone of one of the San Bernardino shooters with saying it opposes such a move, labeling the instruction "an overreach by the U.S. government."

I'm confused, isn't that obstruction of justice? They have a court order.
    Apple states they donot have a tool to do this. The FBI is trying to tell a private to build a tool, give it to them and not pay for it. Now there are a lot of other avenues the FBI has, and this is trying to blame their failures in other areas on Apple. Open borders are more of a liability than Apple!

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    The phone was employer issued. So here is the question - if the owner of the phone agrees - what's it matter?

Seems like a slightly different issue than if it was personally owned. I know most employers say if you use their equipment, they have the right to see anything on it.
    Correct, but I don't think the employer can access it right now either. It's a matter of the device having enough encryption on it that FBI can't see what's on there and that's what they are mad about. Now they want to force Apple to create a way to break into it. If Apple does that then they have created a way to circumvent all the protections they had built into their devices. And then hackers or LEOs would have access to it to, eventually.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

Great marketing publicity for iPhone.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    I can only hope that privately they help break into the phone, but publically they say they will not in order to let terroists and other criminals believe their phone is a safe harbor..
    This is what they should have already done!!!

If I wasn't lost, I'd surely know where I was going!

17. Fishwhisperer Thefisherman64's Avatar
    As much as some folks want to write the FBI off as another Govt waist of money, we all should thank them for the work they do. They are the good guys. I for one know that a lot of the jobs they do are less than desirable. The general public sees only what they want to see.

In this case the posts above are correct about proprietary hardware, and how the phone system is not something that can be opened up without adequate reason. I would put this circumstance on another level. Safety of the general public / national security should be enough to cause the company or the phone provider enough reason to swiftly comply.

This is just my opinion
    Jeff, and Rheba Johnson
    AND COOPER
    2009 BEE LINE 294 by Phoenix
    2009 150 MERC OPTIMAX

18. Member
    I thought the NSA had access to any suspect terrorist phone activity?

It sounds like they encrypted the phone. The problem is cracking into it and Apple may not be able too either. No one has been able to breaking to an encrypted iPhone or Android phone. We are not talking about just a simple password to get in.
    However, if it was a company Android phone the company could have set up an admin account on the phone before handing it out which would have prevented this issue.

20. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    The FBI needs help breaking into a phone ?
    I thought they had like all the smart computer hacks and such......kinda scary that they cant open it and they are in charge of our security. Guess they could hire a 13 year old.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast