Thread: ZX 225 Speed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    To all those trying to inquire about this set up past or present:

That is a 12" hydraulic plate on the back with a mildly worked/cupped 26 T1. Prop to pad about 1/4" above or below depending on load and water conditions. The weather conditions are also favorable. From what I have experienced these speeds are possible with the stock slide master, but hole shot will suffer, along with mid range cruise will have horrible slippage and there will be limited turning without blowout. The best overall prop for this setup is 25T1 with appropriate work and most should see 73-75 on average with an average/moderate payload and have a low enough Prop to pad to allow a good hole shot, midrange and turning.

What I am trying to say without being a dick about it, is that people see this and expect that their boat (a new 225) will do this really easily, but that is just not the case. First off you WILL NEED a hydraulic plate to get a good setup for his boat if you want those speeds and handling. With that money invested, I would opt for a ZX250 (if Skeeter is the brand) for a grand more at this point especially is speed is the case. It will carry the load with better speeds and run a bit or equally faster.

This is just one of those "freakishly fast" boats for what it is.

2. Banned
    They must have forgotten to put half the fiberglass in it or they accidentally put a 250 on it. No way that boat will go that fast with the load you mentioned. No offense but no way anyone sees those kind of numbers from that boat

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterfx View Post
    They must have forgotten to put half the fiberglass in it or they accidentally put a 250 on it. No way that boat will go that fast with the load you mentioned. No offense but no way anyone sees those kind of numbers from that boat
    What makes you say these boats can't be that fast? There are 2 others on here who run 75+ with a '15 Zx225. The bottom pic was nearly bare bones off the dealer floor, except for the talon bracket, a net, some life jackets, and1/4 tank of fuel. What slowed me down was the rev limiter on that run.

4. Member

ZX20 Top Speed

Skeeters can be faster than many people think. My 2012 ZX20 with stock 250 SHO hit 79.3 mph at 6000 rpm with me, my normal fishing load, and quarter tanks this past January. Prop to pad 2.25" below with a Mark B&B'd VMAX 27p T1. Also have 4 ReLion Lithium batteries. Weight management and distribution are the keys to making these big ol' sleds move.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine does that but at 6300 rpm's.
    Pro as in promotional ;-)

I was lucky to get 70 out my ZX225, FX20 is a little faster,,,, well a bunch faster

7. Banned
    They are fast just not what you claim. I know cause I own a FX20 with a 250 SHO

MY OLD '05 ZX 225 HIT 77.4 WITH A THIN EAR (BEEN WORKED SEVERAL TIMES SO IT WAS THIN) 27 T1 ON A COLD DAY. THAT WAS WITH THE STOCK SLIDEMASTER. EVERYONE DOUBTED ME TOO, BUT IT WASN'T BS. WOULD RUN CONSISTENT UPPER 75'S ANYTIME WITH THE 27.
    2012 Skeeter FX20 250 SHO

9. Member
    I think the boat was being towed behind his truck

I have a 15 ZX250 with duel poles and the best I have seen is just over 76 light load. I'm running a 25T1 prop and by myself I can get on the limiter in colder water, so if I had a 26 or 27 I could possibly be faster. However my summer and tournament performance would suffer as I can't get over 5900 Rpms at all. I can constantly run 72-74 loaded up and that's good enough for me. Now if proped just right, light load, lithium batteries and no gas or tackle you might see 78-80.
    2020 Ranger Z520L 250 Pro XS 4

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterfx View Post
    They are fast just not what you claim. I know cause I own a FX20 with a 250 SHO
    If you're not getting 75+ out of your rig, you're doing something wrong. My 2015 ZX225 would run 75mph with just me and the stock set-up. I had it running 72mph tournament loaded this past weekend. Skeeters are a fast boat. You just have to set them up right.

I know Randy's numbers are accurate, because I have the same boat. The FX20 is almost the same, but with 25 more hp. It should run close to 80mph light.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

12. Moderator
    I'd like to see a video of it running those numbers....

My fat 20i can get 75mph on a really good day. lol

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Curtis View Post
    My fat 20i can get 75mph on a really good day. lol
    That's what I got my 20I too on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    I'd like to see a video of it running those numbers....
    Do you have a Go Pro I can borrow?
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

My guess the motor is setup lot higher then normal. SHO's can be run high and maintain good WPSI. Just my two cents.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelman View Post

I am impressed...my 2016 is in dealer prep until 5pm tomorrow...then we tow her home for the 1st time !!!
    if she cruises at 70gps full full full load I am a happy camper! (Maybe that re-worked prop Croxton sent will be better
    than the stock one...humm)

Nice boat... I just put a deposit down on the same boat and colors.. Adding a second pole as well..

My 03 ZX225 with a 09 ETEC 225hp HO hits low 70's consistanly

Here is a short video I made chasing down my buddies Ranger last summer. Skeeters haul A$$

Paul Gifto
    2013 Nitro Z9 2021 250hp Mercury ProXS
    Ontario Canada 🇨🇦

19. Member
    I just purchased a 2015 ZX225 that was a left over. After the 2 hours of slow break in, I opened it up, ONCE and got to 73.6 and the speed was still climbing. I didn't hold it there for obvious break in reasons. This was just over a half tank, light tackle and I was alone. The following weekend with just under 5 hours, I opened her up with 3/4 tank, ALL my stuff, my partner (350 lbs), and empty wells. Hit just under 70, and I wasn't even in it for that long. I have no doubts I can see 75 with the stock set up. Sure one hull can be a little faster than another. Seeing someone break 77 isn't a stretch by any means. The speed is great, and carries a load well. What really is a shocker is the ride on this thing. I mean, its straight out impressive.

20. Member
    This video was shot today, It coincides with the bottom pic of the original post (myself, a rope, life jacket and throwable 1/3 tank fuel). I could not break 78 today. The prop had also been tweaked again between posting which has costed me about 1mph top end since. I gotta send it back to Mark. In a week or so I will post a video that goes with the top photo.

Air temp 58 water temp 55

Last edited by Randy T; 02-03-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast