Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yellowstone vacation

We are booking our family vacation for Yellowstone in August, flying into Denver, anyone who has been ,what are our must things to see and do? Thanks

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Stay in the inn at Old Faithful. Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and a trip up to the north end for possible wolf sightings are my favorites. All the pools and geysers are cool. Don't ignore the Tetons. My 2 cents is to fly into Salt Lake City and catch Bryce, Zion and some of the other NPs too.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    You could also fly to Bozeman Mt airport, so you're only 45 min from park entrance. We towed our 5th wheeler into the park and spent a week exploring all the above that CatFan mentioned. You will have a great time.

4. Member
    Where are you staying in Yellowstone? Took my family years ago awesome trip.I rented a huge suv and me and my son drove to Denver. Wife and daughter flew in next day. First we went to Dinosaur Nat. Monument cool place, stayed in a cabin in a koa campground in Utah. We then drove up to Yellowstone and stayed at Flag Ranch Lodge south of Yellowstone. In the park you need to see Old Faithfull geyser and the Geyser basin. The lodge there is worth a visit. Mammouth hot springs and the Lamar valley are must sees also. Yellowstone lake and grand canyon of Yellowstone. The beartooth hwy.north east entrance. We also enjoyed Jackson Wy. son and I whitewater rafted the Snake river south of town girls shopped and saw a movie. Bring a Flyrod.

Go fly fishing or hiking in the lamar river valley. Grand Teton is worth the drive.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
    Where are you staying in Yellowstone? Took my family years ago awesome trip.I rented a huge suv and me and my son drove to Denver. Wife and daughter flew in next day. First we went to Dinosaur Nat. Monument cool place, stayed in a cabin in a koa campground in Utah. We then drove up to Yellowstone and stayed at Flag Ranch Lodge south of Yellowstone. In the park you need to see Old Faithfull geyser and the Geyser basin. The lodge there is worth a visit. Mammouth hot springs and the Lamar valley are must sees also. Yellowstone lake and grand canyon of Yellowstone. The beartooth hwy.north east entrance. We also enjoyed Jackson Wy. son and I whitewater rafted the Snake river south of town girls shopped and saw a movie. Bring a Flyrod.
    We are staying at Lake Lodge in the park.

Look at the BearTooth Hwy. I haven't been there since I was about 10 years old, but I know it was one of my parents favorite parts of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Look at the BearTooth Hwy. I haven't been there since I was about 10 years old, but I know it was one of my parents favorite parts of the trip.
    When I was 14 we camped out for a week. 2 nights in a row a bear fell over the rope holding up one corner of the tent ( 12x12) army surplus tent. I'm sure things have changed in the last 50 years, but I had a good time.

9. Member
    Oh great another public land thread.

Kidding, don't limit your selves to the park boundaries. Get a map and explore outside of it. Most of the surrounding area is public and not crowded like in the park. The teton's are great as mentioned.
    2005 Bass tracker pt 185
    2005 Merc Optimax 90 1.5L

Don't forget the pic-a-nic basket
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

11. Member
    Oh boy. Flyfish the Yellowstone river for sure. Elk hair caddis and pale duns. Go on a backcountry hike. Beware of Grizzlies and especially lone Bison. I learned that in 1980 the hard way. Grumpy and huge they are!

12. Member
    I stayed in Teton Village for my 7 day vacation to Yellowstone and Grand Teton's. I wanted to pick my days that I visited the Teton's. It is imperative to have clear weather to see them. Yellowstone has several sites that you can see in any weather.

Only thing we didn't do was the Beartooth highway. I understand that is a gem.

Jackson Hole is really cool. Loved it. We did a cowboy dinner with show that was much fun. Lots to do there with plenty of fly fishing and fly shops. Cool shops as well. I even liked many of them.

Teton's are one of the most majestic views you will see. But you need to see them in the early morning light. Simply superb.

Yellowstone is simply amazing. August will find lots of traffic. People stop for wildlife shots. Elk and bison are everywhere. No need to stop traffic for them.

You will drive many miles as both parks are huge. I got to drive by the Teton's everyday and that view never gets old. Get yourself a guidebook and plan by days. Adjust your day plans based on weather.

My Flickr albums from there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/550563...57630067761325

https://www.flickr.com/photos/550563...57630122798248
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

13. Member
    Been there three times as my son lived close. Always went in Sept. as crowds where way down and wild live wasway more active . Npothing more exciting then elk blugling saw many bision up real close, moose and such.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    I stayed in Teton Village for my 7 day vacation to Yellowstone and Grand Teton's. I wanted to pick my days that I visited the Teton's. It is imperative to have clear weather to see them. Yellowstone has several sites that you can see in any weather.

Only thing we didn't do was the Beartooth highway. I understand that is a gem.

Jackson Hole is really cool. Loved it. We did a cowboy dinner with show that was much fun. Lots to do there with plenty of fly fishing and fly shops. Cool shops as well. I even liked many of them.

Teton's are one of the most majestic views you will see. But you need to see them in the early morning light. Simply superb.

Yellowstone is simply amazing. August will find lots of traffic. People stop for wildlife shots. Elk and bison are everywhere. No need to stop traffic for them.

You will drive many miles as both parks are huge. I got to drive by the Teton's everyday and that view never gets old. Get yourself a guidebook and plan by days. Adjust your day plans based on weather.

My Flickr albums from there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/550563...57630067761325

https://www.flickr.com/photos/550563...57630122798248
    Thanks awesome pics!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBassNJ View Post
    We are staying at Lake Lodge in the park.
    Unless it has changed no cell service and no internet.

16. Member
    Experience a drive over the Beartooth Pass. You won't regret it.
    "The most dangerous risk of all -the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later." -random Facebook pic that came up on my wall

8'6" Longboard
    6'6" Shortboard

17. Member
    PLEASE stay for a good amount of time. This place truly is one of our national treasures. There is so much to see, and the park is a very big place. I planned a trip cross country several years ago. My plan on the way out to the west coast was Yellowstone for four days. Two weeks after arriving I left, and never made it any further west. Although I would have loved to see Utah, I never regretted staying the extra time at YS. As someone mentioned, the Tetons are also a very cool place to see. And if you have any extra time, venture to Cody to see the firearms museum. It is an hrs drive from the east entrance to YS and just over an hr from the NE entrance. That place is well worth the trip!

18. Member
    I would like to see it,at least before it erupts.

19. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    get the Gaperguide!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.gaperguide.com/ it's like having a tour guide in the car. Along with all the main attractions it will tell you things other people and yourself won't see without it. it will tell you what is coming up such as campgrounds, restrooms, and other stuff.. It was the best money we spent on the park when we went year before last.

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

I had the whole family there last August...Fantastic trip....Fly fishing's holy grail and my nirvana!

I have booked a huge cabin in west yellowstone for this June and praying for a salmon fly hatch..I have everyone coming back so we should have a great time..Arricks fly shop is the place to get your fishing info and the best guides. Like others have stated, try and stay as long as possible. This will give you a chance to see and do more...This will be my 4th time to West Yellowstone and I still haven't seen or done everything that I want to do there.. Denver or Salt Lake and its still a drive..

The bear and wolf exhibit in West Yellowstone is pretty cool when they feed the bears..Bring a good camera and some Bino's for the park.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast