Fuse keeps blowing in ranger

Hey guys I have a 99 ranger 487vs. My courtesy light fuse will not stop blowing! I'll replace the fuse and try the lights that are in the rod lockers and they work. Then I'll flip the switch at the console that's suppose to cut the lights in the live well and a light that's mounted in the dash and nothing comes on. I'll go check the fuse after flipping the switch and it blows them every time. I've tried this with a 3 amp (what it calls for) and a 5 amp. Blows it as well. Any ideas on this? Wanted to try to put some new led lights in but I can't get this fuse thing figured out. (I am however not good with wiring things) lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Sam Taylor
    Psalm 37:39

It's not the fuse. The fuse is doing what it was designed to do...protect the circuit. You have a power wire shorted to ground or a faulty switch. Since the console is the easiest place to start, look at the wires coming off the switch going to your livewell and dash lights. Look for places the wires could have rubbed together and through the insulation. Look in the livewell to see if the light wires are shorted together or if the light socket is corroded.

If you can disconnect the wires that go to the livewell you can narrow done the problem. If you disconnect them and the fuse doesn't blow when the switch is turned on then the livewell light wiring is bad. If it doesn't, the livewell circuit is ok and you have an issue in the dash. If the switch is bad internally, the fuse will blow with both the dash light and livewell light disconnected.

BTW, you should never increase the fuse size to compensate for a wiring issue. The fuse is meant to blow when there is a problem in the wiring or too much current is being drawn.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

3. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    As stated, an overload (short or added load) is taking out the 3 amp fuse.......now there may be also wire or damage caused by the misusing of the 5 amp if it was substituted into a circuit designed to support only 3 amps.

LED lights should not be "added" to a circuit if they result in any increasing of the circuit's "as designed" currents.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 02-13-2016 at 12:00 PM.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Pull the bulbs controlled by the dash switch and see if the. Fuse still blows. Add them back one at a time and see what happens.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Last Option is say screw it, and use that for a excuse, to trade for a New Boat well some folks do

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Pull the bulbs controlled by the dash switch and see if the. Fuse still blows. Add them back one at a time and see what happens.
    Thanks for all of the advice guys this is what the fix was? Lol I have idea how but I just pulled the bulbs plugged back in and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks again!
    Sam Taylor
    Psalm 37:39

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smughal31 View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice guys this is what the fix was? Lol I have idea how but I just pulled the bulbs plugged back in and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks again!
    Sounds like the short is likely still possible being intermittent rather than "working fine". Be better if you can to use an ohmmeter next time the fuse blows to find out exactly where the short is located.

8. Member
    An ohmmeter in a multiple lamp parallel circuit will always read continuity to ground with the bulbs in. In his case, removing all of the bulbs and replacing the same bulbs cleared up the original problem, but it's probably still there. It could be a damp socket in the livewell dried out or a bare wire but like Arnoldt says "I'll be back".

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    An ohmmeter in a multiple lamp parallel circuit will always read continuity to ground with the bulbs in. .
    Parallel bulbs still have significant measureable resistance...a dead short blowing his fuse will not.