Thread: EVINRUDE G2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Let's be honest here, there weer a few issues reported when they first came out. A few of the first Pros that had them switched from them after having problems on the water. Don't hear much about that now.

Almost all of them have some sort of issue when first released, the manufacture simply can not simulate every thing that might happen on the water, but usually these things are worked out fairly quickly.

They offer options that are quite awesome and we will probably see others follow that pattern soon.

Good Job on developing it Evinrude.

2. Member
    I got to drive my buddys Bass Cat with the new G2 250 on it last week. I have run both Rudes and Merc and currently have a 250 pro xs on my own boat. This comes out of the hole like a rocket with very hard acceleration. I was very impressed with the the performance. I found the new steering and throttle to be very responsive as well. Only a short test drive while we were fishing but it was pretty impressive. He has had it for a year with no issues.

3. Banned
    Oh, and that 7 year FULL warranty. Kind of hard to beat that.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    No holeshotz521c in 3 seconds
    same here. I think I might have had 2.8 seconds though. top end is comparable to a pro xs as well. Love this boat/motor combo
    2015 Ranger 521c--Evinrude G2

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Oh, and that 7 year FULL warranty. Kind of hard to beat that.
    Haven't read that I read a 3 year with an option for 2 more on their website, where do you see 7?

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Haven't read that I read a 3 year with an option for 2 more on their website, where do you see 7?
    http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/promotion

I truly want to like the Evinrude simply b/c I am not that big on the four stroke deal just yet. But, I still have a very bad taste in my mouth from a 225 E-tec HO that I had on a triton 7 years ago. When it was running it was an absolute BEAST but I couldn't keep it running. In the 18 months that I had the boat, I went through 2 powerheads and 3 lower units! That is just waaaayyyyy too many problems for an engine that new and the bad thing was getting Evinrude to back up their warranty. I had to fight them on both powerheads and two of the lower units! Evinrude even sent in one of their regional techs on the last powerhead to try not to cover the engine. It was almost to the point that I thought I was going to have to get a lawyer involved.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigflipr76 View Post
    I truly want to like the Evinrude simply b/c I am not that big on the four stroke deal just yet. But, I still have a very bad taste in my mouth from a 225 E-tec HO that I had on a triton 7 years ago. When it was running it was an absolute BEAST but I couldn't keep it running. In the 18 months that I had the boat, I went through 2 powerheads and 3 lower units! That is just waaaayyyyy too many problems for an engine that new and the bad thing was getting Evinrude to back up their warranty. I had to fight them on both powerheads and two of the lower units! Evinrude even sent in one of their regional techs on the last powerhead to try not to cover the engine. It was almost to the point that I thought I was going to have to get a lawyer involved.
    Evinrude would never send a rep to try and not cover an engine. They sent the rep to try and identify the problem. Seeing you didn't supply a serial number on your post there is no way to verify your claim.

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    These kinds of stories (above) always have more than one side, and I'd say your experience was somewhat unique. I've run blue engines since 1981, for many years a new boat/motor every year, and my reason for staying with them for so long has as much to do with outstanding warranty service as performance. My servicing dealer, who also sells a lot of Mercury engines, has nothing but glowing reports of BRP warranty service.

Very sorry to to hear that your experience with that 225 was difficult for you. Not a company-wide issue, though.

10. Member
    the one I was in was straight from factory on a new ranger commanche. I didn't get a look at the prop cause it was demo rides... with two people and prolly a full tank we struggled to get on plane. the very first models were very torquey but for some reason they redesigned them and made them more of an top end motor

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mojobass View Post
    the one I was in was straight from factory on a new ranger commanche. I didn't get a look at the prop cause it was demo rides... with two people and prolly a full tank we struggled to get on plane. the very first models were very torquey but for some reason they redesigned them and made them more of an top end motor
    You have any articles to back up this claim?

12. Member
    Being overpropped will get you the same result. Poor hole shot, (possibly) higher top end.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    These kinds of stories (above) always have more than one side, and I'd say your experience was somewhat unique. I've run blue engines since 1981, for many years a new boat/motor every year, and my reason for staying with them for so long has as much to do with outstanding warranty service as performance. My servicing dealer, who also sells a lot of Mercury engines, has nothing but glowing reports of BRP warranty service.

Very sorry to to hear that your experience with that 225 was difficult for you. Not a company-wide issue, though.
    Personally, apples and oranges story in my opinion. However everyone has a right to their opinion. However to this thread's theme this G2 is not that Evinrude. I have followed the G2 release with interest and I just don't read of first year user issues. What I have read are minor by quick fixes compared to kaboom stories with historical 1st year release motors like Yamaha, Merc and some early Gen1 Etecs.

Fortunately, there are motor options for everyone but gotta give first year release cred to the G2. Congrats BRP.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I would imagine they were demonstrating the auto trim function and showing it would plane out with positive trim settings. This video shows the hole shot at 70% trim.

Last edited by ChampioNman; 02-17-2016 at 07:08 AM.

15. Banned
    when does the non ugly version come out?

16. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    when does the non ugly version come out?
    About the same time as your comedy show airs.

17. Banned
    so i got a better chance at a show then they do of making a decent looking motor....got it

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    About the same time as your comedy show airs.
    He told you!!

19. Member
    so were stuck with the ugly version?

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbug20i View Post
    so were stuck with the ugly version?
    troyboy30 fed me this one: If you want to see ugly, look in the mirror.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast