Question Data cable connections

Waiting on 2 new Chirp 73sv's and data sharing cable. What color wire on the data cable goes where when I connect them together?

Don

With the data sharing cable, from one unit power cable to the other, you connect brown to blue, blue to brown. Know that the data sharing cable has three separate wires. The third wire is to establish a common ground, but it is not required if the two units are already sharing a common system power ground.
    Garmin Pro Team

Instructions are nearly non existent when you buy all this stuff but if you do what todd says it works just fine. I still can't find where it says anything about the two extra wires in the power cable in my instructions.

Does all sharing just automatically happen? It appears to have. I did this last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass newb View Post
    Does all sharing just automatically happen? It appears to have. I did this last night.
    It is automatic with Data Sharing enabled on both units.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    Do you enable the data sharing on both units?

6. Member
    Where can I get the cable?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhollo5252 View Post
    Where can I get the cable?
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop...rod510855.html

I have read where people used their own wire for this, but have no first hand experience if it works as well or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bukfevr View Post

I have read where people used their own wire for this, but have no first hand experience if it works as well or not.
    The garmin cable is shielded at least. If I did it again I'd have saved my $30 and used speaker wire.

Quote Originally Posted by bukfevr View Post

Yes, it will work, but it is suggested to use marine-rated wire. As Bass newb pointed out, the Garmin cable has the wires in protected sheathing, plus these wires are marine-rated.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    I am upgrading to the new 93sv to replace my old HB on Console. I am sure the minute I get it going and see the improvement over the HB I will want to upgrade my front HB. So I think I will just go ahead and get a new 73dv for the Trolling motor to replace the HB there at same time I get the 93sv. What info is shared when you connect 2 Garmin with the Data Connection cable?

Quote Originally Posted by RonH54 View Post
    I am upgrading to the new 93sv to replace my old HB on Console. I am sure the minute I get it going and see the improvement over the HB I will want to upgrade my front HB. So I think I will just go ahead and get a new 73dv for the Trolling motor to replace the HB there at same time I get the 93sv. What info is shared when you connect 2 Garmin with the Data Connection cable?
    With these echoMAPs, you will be sharing wpts between units with the High Speed Protocol wires connected on the unit power cables.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Member
    How do you connect more than two units together? For example One on the Dash, One on a Ram and One on the Bow.

Do you simply connect all three together with the wires or do you need a separate "connecting block" like HB does?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    How do you connect more than two units together? For example One on the Dash, One on a Ram and One on the Bow.

Do you simply connect all three together with the wires or do you need a separate "connecting block" like HB does?
    Since these echoMAPs share wpts via Garmin High Speed Protocol, only two units can be connected.
    Garmin Pro Team

14. Member
    Todd Driscoll,
    Is it possible to use a switch to share way points between three echo map units? For instance, the 2 units at the console would share way points when running or idling around then flip a switch when stopped to fish to allow the bow unit to share way points with one of the units at the console.
    It would only be sharing with one at a time, but the switch would allow you to switch which one.
    Your thoughts.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tm33 View Post
    Todd Driscoll,
    Is it possible to use a switch to share way points between three echo map units? For instance, the 2 units at the console would share way points when running or idling around then flip a switch when stopped to fish to allow the bow unit to share way points with one of the units at the console.
    It would only be sharing with one at a time, but the switch would allow you to switch which one.
    Your thoughts.
    Thanks
    Sorry, no switch like you describe is available. Wpt sharing is strictly between two units for the nonCHIRP and CHIRP echoMAPs. Note for the Plus units, sharing will be via Ethernet (after the next software update), and you can network more than 2 Plus units.
    Garmin Pro Team

16. Banned
    Why wouldn't a switch work.? It would only connect 2 units at one time. Disconnect one connect the other. Im thinking a DPDT switch.

17. Member
    It might work. I made an 8 pin transducer switch that works --- most of the time.
    Then I made a 12 pin transducer swith that switched all 12 wires but the unit didn't catch that a different transucer was attached. So that was a flop.
    It went straght from ON-ON and needed to be ON-OFF-ON for the unit to first recognize no transducer and then autodetect the different one.

I guess the question would be when the signals are sent out. After switching you might have to reboot both units unless they are constantly checking the sync. A new waypoint gets sent out immediately and I'm pretty sure that they sync on startup, but if you had a waypoint made last week and the units already running and flipped the switch I'm not sure the sync sequence would trip.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.