Banned

Panoptix PS21-TM FrontVü and LiveVü Forward

This transom mount transducer adds FrontVü and LiveVü Forward sonars to compatible Garmin combos.

FrontVü sonar shows obstructions with a 300-foot forward range — live, as you approach them — to help you avoid collisions.

With LiveVü Forward sonar, you can see fish swimming in real time under and ahead of your boat, up to 100 feet away! Includes transom mount.

FrontVü is included in the PS21-TM transducer and can be added to the PS21-TR and PS31 transducers through a free software update available at Garmin.com.

KEY FEATURES:

NEW FRONTVÜ Helps you avoid collisions with submerged obstacles by showing bottom topography with a 300-foot for ward range as you approach them in real time; works when the boat is moving or stationary

LIVEVÜ FORWARD See real -time sonar at video speed; view movement of bait or drop shots; track schools of fish moving around your boat, even while stationary; find structure and fish wherever your trolling motor is pointed and cast right at them

MOUNTING OPTION This transducer mounts on the transom

Compatible with echoMAP CHIRP chartplotter/sonar combo 7- and 9-inch models, GPSMAP 7400/7600/8000/8200/8400/8500/8600 chartplotter series, 8000/8500 and GPSMAP 721/ 741/820/840/1020/1040 chartplotter/sonar combo series

2. Member

3. Member
    disregard
    Last edited by cactusflyr; 02-10-2016 at 03:14 PM.

4. Banned

5. Member
    Troy, do you know if this new software is going to be part of the next software package thats due out any time or is it going to be a separate package just for the PS21?

The PS21 already does a pretty fair job of showing the ground forward of the boat as far as water depth. The new software would give you a much cleaner more detailed view though.

Here are a couple of shots from yesterday in salt water showing the bottom sloping up near shore. Based on what I saw yeaterday, this should be usefull out to at least 200 feet ahead of the boa in deeper water.

Attached Images Attached Images

6. Banned
    FrontVü aids collision avoidance by showing obstructions with a 300-foot forward range.¹

no eta on the update

7. Member
    Thats a much cleaner view too.

Looking forward to trying it out.

I wonder how far out it can reach in shallower water? With the liveview roughly 5-6 times the depth seems to be about it depending on how shallow you are. Of course, Ive only tried mine one time so it may work even better with tweaking.

8. Member
    With all this new stuff coming out. My wants are vastly exceeding my gots. Or in other words my ability to pay.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

9. Member
    No kidding! Now that we have a PS21, we want a 31 to go with it! Maybe next year....

10. Member
    will it show fish?

11. Member
    Using my PS21, I have seen lures, fishing lines, fish, diving birds and seals out to as far as 100'+ away from the boat.

Thats using the stock software. I have no idea if the new depth hazard software will also show fish. Doesnt sound like thats its main thing though.

12. Banned
    i guess it could but its purpose is collision avoidance

13. Member
    Considering my ps21 is on my tm.....don't think I will be going fast enough to worry about "collision avoidance"

although...I did figure out that i can slowly motor on the outboard and turn tm sideways to scan for shallow bass along shoreline.

14. Member
    Does anyone have any experience with the ps21 frontvu collision avoidance feature? From the spec I see that the sonar cone is 45 degrees in the horizontal plane and 90 degrees in the vertical plane...this 45 degree cone....roughly 23 degrees to either side of the sensor can cover a lot of area... The reason I ask is that I boat on a river with a lot of rocks and wonder how reliable I can feel about the rock being in my path and not to either side of my boat... Any thoughts?

I have talked with a few garmin tech support people and they have told me that they don't know the answer to my above question...they said that the ps31 works good at seeing where the obstruction using the realvu 3d feature because you can adjust the sonar angle.... I almost got the ps31 but realized it was too large (create too much force on the da ducer mount) to go beyond 3 or 4 mph with it on a da ducer mount on the front of my boat... I was hoping for a bit more speed... like 5 or 6 mph... so I ended up getting the ps21 which is smaller.
    Last edited by blueones; 06-22-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueones View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the ps21 frontvu collision avoidance feature? From the spec I see that the sonar cone is 45 degrees in the horizontal plane and 90 degrees in the vertical plane...this 45 degree cone....roughly 23 degrees to either side of the sensor can cover a lot of area... The reason I ask is that I boat on a river with a lot of rocks and wonder how reliable I can feel about the rock being in my path and not to either side of my boat... Any thoughts?

I have talked with a few garmin tech support people and they have told me that they don't know the answer to my above question...they said that the ps31 works good at seeing where the obstruction using the realvu 3d feature because you can adjust the sonar angle.... I almost got the ps31 but realized it was too large (create too much force on the da ducer mount) to go beyond 3 or 4 mph with it on a da ducer mount on the front of my boat... I was hoping for a bit more speed... like 5 or 6 mph... so I ended up getting the ps21 which is smaller.
    Note that the PS31 RealVu 3D mode doesn’t let you adjust the angle, it scans for you. The PS31 LiveVu Forward mode does allow you to adjust the angle and the beamwidth (port/starboard) it uses. Seems like the PS21-TM (instead of the TR version) would be a better fit for your collision avoidance (narrower 20 degrees port/starboard).
    Garmin Pro Team

16. Member
    I've been using the PS21-TM since March. The more I use it the more I like it. I mounted it on the trolling motor and use it for fishing. I like it better than the TR version and unless I plan to be fishing near steep sheer rock walls I use it instead of the PS31. I don't use it at all for collision avoidance.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=795870
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Troy, do you know if this new software is going to be part of the next software package thats due out any time or is it going to be a separate package just for the PS21?
    meaning.... if we already have a PS21 on our trolling motor.... will we get the new view from the next update?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post
    meaning.... if we already have a PS21 on our trolling motor.... will we get the new view from the next update?
    Yes, that viewing option was added several up-dates ago actually.

Once you up-date, you will have two choices for Panoptx from the sonar options screen - LiveVu Forward and FrontVu Froward
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Yes, that viewing option was added several up-dates ago actually.

Once you up-date, you will have two choices for Panoptx from the sonar options screen - LiveVu Forward and FrontVu Froward
    Cool, I havent done the last couple updates.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

20. Member
    be sure the Panoptix is plugged in and powered up. There have been other up-dates of it too.

Be prepared for changes in how your maps work too. Detailed contours will only show up on the "Fishing" map.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....