Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Running 36v trolling motor

Can anyone share a pic of how they are getting the extra battery in there 20xd. I currently have a 24v but need to step up to the 36v do to fishing in heavy current all day for tournaments. I do not want to run 2 batteries and cranking battery. I have 2 lowrance hds 12's and live well pump as well as bilge on cranking now but not sure I can get a fourth 31 series in the boat.

2. Member
    text me ill send you some pictures.

3. Member
    I have a 21XDC, have two batteries on one side and two on the other side, moved my oil tank a little but not too much, send me your number, I'll send you some pics

4. Member
    I have a 97 20xd and turned two batteries long ways and one sideways. had to remove battery trays though. That was all done on passenger side, still have 1 battery and charger on other side

5. BASS ADDICT
    I know this is an old thread but can anyone show me the pics of the 4 battery set in there XD. mines a 94 and thinking of adding a 4th bat. Thanks in advance

6. Member
    It would be hard for me to put 4 batteries in a Bullet...cuz of all that weight. If you have 36V trolling motor...I'd use only three batteries total wired in series and just let one pull double duty as your starting and accessories battery also. It has to be the one that receives the negative wire from the trolling motor... it will only give you 12V if you were to run anything off the posts of that battery. You'll get your 36V from the battery that has the positive running to the trolling motor. Can draw diagram if needed.

I only have a 24V trolling motor and only use 2 batteries total in the entire boat. They are in series and one gives me 12V and the other gives me 24V. I can switch them very quickly to parallel and get 12V at double the amps if I'm partying all day with the stereo cranked and then switch back to series if trolling motor is needed...boat is perfectly balanced that way...very light too!
    Last edited by Bullet 20cc; 10-31-2017 at 01:39 AM.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

7. Member
    Simple, put a 36 volt lithium battery in. Save about 50lbs of weight and use one regular battery for cranking. That's my set up,
    been that way since 11-2012.

8. BASS ADDICT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex1 View Post
    Simple, put a 36 volt lithium battery in. Save about 50lbs of weight and use one regular battery for cranking. That's my set up,
    What lithium are you running?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex1 View Post
    How much did that 36V Lithium Ion battery and LI charger cost you? Been wanting to go Lithium but can't justify it cuz of how much they cost per pound. Gold is almost comparable in price...
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 20cc View Post
    How much did that 36V Lithium Ion battery and LI charger cost you? Been wanting to go Lithium but can't justify it cuz of how much they cost per pound. Gold is almost comparable in price...
    I was in the same boat, I finally bought lithium this year. I saved more then 50lbs tho. I saved 150lbs out of my boat. I'm really glad i did, they work amazing. I;m running a 36V 40ah and a 12v 80ah lithium pro.

For speed running there usless as i just need to re add the weight i removed. But for tournament fishing there fantastic, I had to tweak my setup from what i had but i Gained holeshot and topend.

About a month ago i ran 97.0mph 2 big guys loaded to fish for musky. I got zero idea how much weight we had in the boat but it was LOTS. Some of our lures weighed a pound each. For how much weight we had in the boat i was really happy with 97, and it was a low cross wind.

11. Member
    Can y'all give me at least hint about how much y'all paid? If prices are lower now then I'm in...

2350.00 I will sell you one cheaper

13. Member
    2500$ for 36V with BMS
    1600$ 12V

My biggest reason was i only got a single axel trailer. With the 300XS on the back i wasn't able to go over 60mph, anything over that the trailer would start to fish tail, When id do tournaments far away id remove my batteries then install them when id get there. Which was a PIA.

Then you got all the other reasons, fast charging, full power all day, go shallower, holeshot, topend etc...
    Last edited by hyperflow; 11-01-2017 at 07:43 AM.

14. Member
    3 - group 34's fit perfect on the passenger side rear compartment on a 20xd.
    I ran a 36v 101 for 2 days on 3- 34's.
    saves weight too.

15. Member
    $2500 for 36V and...$1600 for 12V!? Sounds like they doubled in price since I last investigated instead of going down? I was looking at $800 per 12V @ 50ah before. I'm such a cheapa$$ sometimes...I know.

16. Member
    Will those 36v 40ah hold up on fishing on a river with a lot of current , the 60 and 100 ah are a lot more expensive? I fish fast sometimes on lakes or hours in 2 ft waves I have a new 36 volt motor sitting in my garage just trying to make the best choice on a lithium set up on my 20 xd.

Maybe i dont know any better but 80lbs of thrust on a 24v has never left me wanting more. Fishing on fork and toledo bend all day has never caused me to have to leave early because of dead batteries either. If i had a 36v it would be turned down less than my 24v is anyway since ive never had to go to 5 on my 80lb so ill just keep it simple and vintage

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Maybe i dont know any better but 80lbs of thrust on a 24v has never left me wanting more. Fishing on fork and toledo bend all day has never caused me to have to leave early because of dead batteries either. If i had a 36v it would be turned down less than my 24v is anyway since ive never had to go to 5 on my 80lb so ill just keep it simple and vintage
    I have to agree, I don't understand why people are all moving to a 36 volt set up. I have never ran my batteries dead or needed the motor to be more powerful so why change? I'm not going to spend a bunch of cash and add weight to solve a problem I don't have.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

19. Member
    I agree with the both of you too...24V 75lb thrust here. I only carry 2 AGM's total in the boat at all times...for trolling motor and for all accessories (stereo, graphs and lights) and starting too. I'm in a 20 footer though...not a 21. Running only 24V and 2 AGM's vs 4 is keeping some serious weight out of the boat...perfectly balanced too. My 2 newer AGM's are big boys however...group 29's (61 lbs each). When those poop out I will look into 2-3 Lithium Ion replacements again through dealers that contribute to BBC...if I'm not in cheapazz mode at that time.

A 24 will not fish some of the river current around here...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast