Dobyns Finnesse Flipping Champion v DX

Most of my rods are Dobyns and I'd like to stick with them. I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with finesse flipping rods. I used a Savvy 703C last year with 1/4 - 3/8 oz weights and 2/0 hooks and texas rigged a baby D Bomb or small Pitboss. I want to upgrade to a longer 3 power rod in the Champion or Champion Extreme series but am open to other suggestions. Does anyone else use a 733C or DX743C pitching light Texas rigs in open and light cover?

I already have a Savvy 705C, Champion 765 Flip, and a Champion 766 Flip for pitching heavier stuff and thought a lighter rod would handle the 1/4oz better.

2. Member
    champ 744 or dx 744 would be good options. I used to throw 1/4 and 3/8 t rigs on my dx744, but prefer a stouter rod now and use the dx745

3. Member
    For 1/4oz - 3/8oz weights, if you hadn't said you used the 703, I would have recommended the 4 power stick. There really isn't that huge a jump in power from the 733 to 743. I've used both 3 & 4 power sticks with those weights for bubba-shot/t-rigs/etc with good results. The 4 power just gives you that little bit extra power in the butt.

Were you happy with the power fishing the 703? If you are, I'd go with a 3 power again. If you can, I would go with the DX stick. Much more sensitive. If you go with the newer Champion Extreme DX HP, it will be even more sensitive than the (old) DX. The newer HP sticks also have a stiffer upper section & a slightly faster action versus the 'old' DX. Both those things make them fish a little more powerfully than the older DX. As an example, I was throwing 5" weightless senkos with the (older) DX744. When I rigged up the (newer) DX744 HP, the same bait didn't load the rod as well on the cast. To get the same feel, I used the DX743 HP.
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax

4. Member
    For 1/4 oz finesse jigs I use a DX683c and the DX743c and I feel that the 3 power is perfect for my needs. I also tend to use different power rods depending on how light or heavy of a hook I am using. For example I love using the Keitech jig which has a pretty light hook and to keep myself from straightening it out or breaking it I'll drop down to a lower power rod. I have used 3/8 oz jigs and T -Rigs with my DX743c and it worked perfect. I have a dx744 and I think it's a bit too strong for what you're looking to do.
    Last edited by JordanC; 02-09-2016 at 07:56 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanC View Post
    For 1/4 oz finesse jigs I use a DX683c and the DX743c and I feel that the 3 power is prefect for my needs. I also tend to use different power rods depending on how light or heavy of a hook I am using.
    Good points. I tend to use jigs with 3X hooks almost all of the time. I should have clarified that in my post.
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax

6. Member
    I agree with civivrr, in that JordanC highlights the importance of using different powered rods for different hooks - light or heavy. I'm also a big fan of the Keitech jig and fish the 3/8 ounce casting model a lot, and I typically pair the Keitech's up with Baby D Bombs or the Twin Turbo. I have the new Dobyns DX HP series in a DX742, DX743, DX744, and DX745. As civivrr stated, the new DX HP models are more powerful and sensitive than the previous DX models, and in my opinion, the DX743 HP is an outstanding rod for the 1/4 and 3/8 Keitech jig with plastic setup. I have muscled four and five pounders out from under docks with the DX743 and Keitech jig setup.

7. Member
    Thanks for the input. I definitely have some things to consider.

I bought the Savvy 703C to start skipping docks with 1/4 and 3/8 ounce jigs. I saw Paul Mueller's video using the 733C but where I'm new to skipping and am not tall I erred on the side of getting a shorter rod. I love flipping more than skipping and tried the 703C pitching Texas rigs using the same weights. It seemed to work well with 50# FX2 braid and a 2/0 Gamakatsu Finesse straight shank hook. I would not consider it a light wire hook but it is definitely lighter than the regular and heavy cover flipping hook.

Flipping Baby D Bombs and Pit Boss Jrs became one of the main uses for the 703C. I use the Savvy 705C for flipping 1/2 ounce or heavier jigs and Texas rigs and this became my favorite set up that caught my personal best last June.

I want to upgrade both rods. I would use both often enough to justify getting the DX HP. I love the amount of tip 705c and 703c have, especially when pumping the bait off the bottom. Does the DX743 and DX745 still have that tip for working a jig or Texas rig on the bottom in those weights? Would a DX743 load up well enough to skip jigs if I acclimated to the extra length of the rod? Unfortunately being in New Hampshire prevents me from checking these rods out myself and the posts you all provided are a huge help to me.