GT56 Transducer on Cajun 178 Prosport

I have a 1990 Cajun 178 Pro Sport bass boat. My GT56 Transducer is mounted in the location where a previous Lowrance transducer was mounted. This boat doesn't have a flat transom, there is some sort of cutout behind the motor. I think this is affecting my transducer because I can't get any reading at speed. On my previous boat, this same transducer could read bottom even on plane. Where would be the best spot to mount it? I'd really need to read bottom when at speed for at minimum water depth and updating user charts. I've attached pictures of my transom. Thank you!

IMG_0127[1].JPGIMG_0128[1].JPG

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Its not reading cause it's out of the water while you are on plane running the boat. If your old ducer was mounted in same place, there is no way it could be reading while on plane. Do you have a shoot thru ducer??? If yo want the Garmin ducer to read it would need to be installed below the step near the pad.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Gt56 is not a high speed transducer. You will need the GT36/GT8 (in hull) combo kit.
    You must get this kit if you want the 2d in hull. A simple Y cable with your current GT56 will not work.

4. Member
    I went to the GT36/GT8 combo and it works really well. I was actually able to tuck the GT36 up underneath and protect it a little too.20230524_194033.jpg
    Todd Kress
    1993 150HP XRI 17 pitch worked Tempest Plus
    OD232323
    1993 Procraft 200 combo

5. Member
    My GT56 was reading at speed on my previous boat with zero issues. I think the problem is it is out of the water as you and other mentioned. I didn't realize that. I simply mounted the GT56 where the previous owner had his transducer.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The 56 may not be labeled as "High Speed" transducer but it will read 2d while on plane if its installed correctly. Either move it down so where its even with the pad or IMO the best route is to do as Monte mentioned, GT8/GT36 combo.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    I have the gt8/gt36 on my bass boat. I prefer a shoot the hull transducer for 2D. The last surface skimmer that had on my boat was destroyed by a small log.