Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Better side view imaging.

2. Member
    I just read something on THT that sounds like a fantastic idea - make HomePort Open Source.

That would allow third party programmers to offer up-grades, add-ons, extensions, fixes etc.

This could result in drastic software improvements with Garmiin having to do nothing - similar to the various third party Humminbird software choices - all of which are far better than Homeport for sonar play back especially.

They should do the same for Garmin Helm.

Just think what programmers who listened to users could do.....

The potential is mind boggling.....
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Banned
    Agreed

4. Member
    Bottom lock or zoom for panoptix down.

Lake depth offset capability for the maps so they will show the correct depths in lakes with varying depth from summer pool to winter pool. Lakemaster has this if they need to see how to do it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall53 View Post
    Lake depth offset capability for the maps so they will show the correct depths in lakes with varying depth from summer pool to winter pool. Lakemaster has this if they need to see how to do it.
    This is found under the countour mapping options. Garmin maps apparently state the depths at full pool. So the offset correction for recording quickdraw would be plus (+) and then the distance from full pool. Then the display offset is just the opposite. So if you were 10 ft below full pool the recording offset would be +10 and the display offset -10.

When I first started working with this I didn't get the logic, but after thinking about it, it makes sense. If a certain place is 100 ft deep at full pool and now the lake is down 10 feet your sonar will indicate a depth of 90 ft. So quickdraw needs to add 10 ft to its sonar depth to match up with all measurements being at full pool. Then once everything is stated as full pool depths if the lake is down 10 ft the display needs to subtract 10 from the data to show the correct depth.

The problem with this is if you've already done a bunch of quickdraw mapping without entering the corrections. All that is down the drain. There has to be a standard reference to mapping done on different days and different lake levels to be merged together and still be usable.

Anyway. The options are found under quickdraw, whether you are doing mapping or not.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    I think what he was wanting to do was have the built-in maps show the adjusted depths. As far as I know, thats not possible the way things are now. Those offsets only effect QuickDraw maps.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

8. Member
    Before I got the 2017 maps I had done some QuickDraw mapping. At the time it seemed that the unit merged the QD mapping to the internal mapping and used the offsets. Now that I have the 2017 maps I discarded all the QD stuff. You and Randall53 are correct though. I just checked.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

9. Member

My latest round of suggestions

The following is a list of the suggestions I have recently sent to Garmin. Some of these may matter to you. Some may not.
    Here is where to send your suggestions.
    http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

1. Mapping offsets
    The mapping offsets that are found within Quickdraw should be made available to apply to built-in or purchased maps. Lots of reservoirs have varying water levels and the depths displayed should be adjusted based on user entered offsets.

2. PS30 depth line.
    I need to be able to set a depth line similar to what is available on 2d. Rapid response is required in tactical fishing, especially when fish are deep (say 100 ft). I don't want to have to eyeball across the screen to find the numerical depth. Setting a depth line would clearly improve my fishing.

3. Cloud issue
    It is a SideVu phenomena. When the SideVu range is less than the current depth a cloudy area appears on the screen. The cloudy area can be eliminated by extending the range but that extended scale makes the fish too small.

4. Depth markings for 2d
    The depth markers on 2d do not allow for quick accurate, at-a-glance determination of the depths of suspended fish. The depth markers should be 10,20,30, etc or 20,40,60, etc and not 25,75,100 etc. In deeper water the markers of 25, 50, 75,100 do not allow for a quick accurate determination of the depth of fish. In tactical fishing the time to analyze the screen and determine the depth of fish that takes even one second is too long and by the time a lure drops to 100 ft, the fish that were there, now aren't. Every instant is critical.
    Even better would be the ability to set two user determined depth lines on the 2d screen.

5. Element level transmit controls.
    When using multiple units and multiple transducers maintaining frequency control to eliminate interference becomes impossible. For example, from September to January I when I have a fishing partner I am running 5 units. Two of the units are 7610's with both an 8 and 12 pin port. Every port has a transducer connected and used for a specific purpose. For example I run the GT51 all the time, specifically for the SideVu on 455. I really don't need the 2d on the transom, but since it is transmitting on 2d that creates a problem with the GT50 on the trolling motor since the 2d operates at the same frequency.
    Without going into all the details of every transducer being used and its purpose, this request can summarily be described as "only transmit on elements being displayed".

6. Y-cable issue
    The Y cable requirement that it be used with only the GT30 is a big problem for lots of customers. The big three, GT50, GT51 and GT52 cannot be used with the Y cable. Add a Y cable cable for these transcducers to be used in combination with GT8 or GT15. Alternatively, come out with a new line of transducers so the Y cables will work.

7. 2d gridlines
    I miss this from my old Humminbird days. It's a grid like you use with Panoptix. Just add it to the 2d traditional sonar.

8. User selected Auto Range for SideVu for suspended fishing.
    The range would be automatically adjusted in changing water depths to be just slightly more than the current depth. This is to maximize the screen space for displaying suspended fish which allows for those returns to be larger.

9. 2d echo return controls.
    These already exist in the GPSMAP units but require a technical understanding in order to implement. Skip the technical part and offer Echo Return Appearance on the Appearance menu and them adjust the internal setting based on user preference for the appearance.
    Thickness: thin, medium, thick
    Length: sort, medium, long
    It's worth mentioning that no one else offers this.

10. Screenshots.
    The screenshot function on the 7610 is improved but still unsatisfactory. The goal should be to offer the best screenshot function on the market. That means one touch, instant screenshot. No other keystrokes, no interuptions to unit control due to messages waiting to be confirmed. An internal setting could turn on a softkey that the user could place where ever desired on the screen. Then one touch, get the screenshot. No tying up the unit with messages waiting for confirmation or waiting to timeout.
    Secondly, when two carda are in a unit or the unit is on a network the screenshots become even more complicated. Now, for every screenshot, the user has to also select the location as to where to put it. Very irritating, time consuming and an interruption to fishing. The best screenshots happen to be at she exact moment of the best fishing. That should be taken into consideration. You are handicapping touch screen users by not exploiting touchscreen capabilities.

11. User selectable softkey bar.
    Allow the user to designate certain controls for each channel/panel and a one touch way to bring up this softkey bar. Functions such as frequency, Noise rejection, brightness, contrast, etc could be under softkey control. For the Panoptix PS30/31 the installation cone should be readily available instead of having to navigate though numerous menu choices. I need to be able to change this, real time, while I am fishing at the same time. At the time I am contending with the menu, I'm sure to get a bite and miss that fish.

12. Improve SideVu.
    The SideVu is simply not as detailed as Lowrance or Humminbird. Hardware, software, both, I don't know. But it could and should be improved.

10. Member
    The things I like about Garmin.
    Customer support second to none and speak English
    But come on I spend a small fortune on a unit and in order to set lake level offset I have to spend 200 more on a card.
    Make screen cover fit better have replaced two. I think the rubber cover the other guys have is good idea.
    Maybe even a accessory flip up cover then you have a cover and visor all in one.
    Speed up your web site.

11. Member
    Compete with Humminbird MEGA and ill go back to Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Compete with Humminbird MEGA and ill go back to Garmin.
    i hope you have your money in hand.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall53 View Post
    I'd like to be able to zoom in on a specific area of the image or school of fish while using SI like HB and Lowrance does. That's a very helpful function IMO.
    I agree.

I'd also like to bring up both the brightness and contrast quickly on the SI screen for adjustments. 2 menu's and 4 keystrokes is cumbersome compared to what I've seen on the birds and lowrance units.

Also the "casting rings" around the waypoints as an option would be cool.

14. Member
    I knew that the striker plus does not come with maps on them when I bought it. I know can use quickdraw to map out the lakes, but it would be nice to at least have the shorelines of the lakes loaded, maybe it's just mm ocd but that is something I would like to see.

15. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    I'd like to see Garmin extend the Q1 update to the non plus echomap chirp units. I want to be able to share a transducer between units via the Ethernet port. The plus units can not do this yet, but a update will allow them too? That tells me it's a software update, not a hardware issue. It would be great if Garmin released this update, because a lot of people have the echomap chirp units. I understand Garmin wants everyone to purchase their new plus models, but being able to share between older, and newer units would be great!!! This would be a great update for people who run multiple units, and don't want all the interference involved with multiple transducers.

16. Member
    Be able to delete parts of quickdraw. Example - If you forget to set (or adjust) lake level offset, it would be nice to delete certain parts.

17. Member
    The ability to search for saved spots....by date entered

18. Member
    The ability to see DownVü from both transducers, ps30 and ps22....on a split screen.

19. Member
    Make the menu auto hide on the new echomap chirp plus units. Would like to use the entire screen for imaging or panoptix.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bksnaz View Post
    Make the menu auto hide on the new echomap chirp plus units. Would like to use the entire screen for imaging or panoptix.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast