Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Good point on the resolution. Hadn't thought about that aspect.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    I agree. Screen shots and start/stop sonar recording need to be 'one touch' fast options. And yes, BMP files are cumbersome.

I just remembered another thing that might be nice - being able to set a file size limit for the recordings. You could easily get multi-gig files if you forget to turn recording off. I remember seeing people complain that large recordings would not load or play on some machines. I havent had that problem yet - I only have a single very short 80 meg recording and it plays fine on my Vista machine. I had some 900 meg files before I stupidly deleted them. I didnt get a chance to test them on the Vista machine.

Id like to have an option to set a max file size so that when that size is reached the recording gets auto-saved and an option to either start a new one automatically or just stop recording with a notice on the screen.
    I sent a suggestion for fixing the screenshots into Garmin. The first time HOME is pressed and held to do a screenshot bring up a popup and ask "enable touch screenshots". If you say yes then place a green dot on screen somewhere out of the way. One touch and you get a screenshot. While it is recording the green changes to red and when ready for another screenshot change back to green. No acknowledgments or confirmations asked for. Green-Red-Green and the user would know what is going on. When the action is really good, I don't want to do screenshots. I need to be fishing. And this is precisely the time to get the best screenshots. For these times I'd like an option to do several screenshots in succession at some timing interval that does not require me to interrupt my fishing. Surely we don't have to quit doing screenshots for them to get the message.

There is a max size to the recording files. I don't know what it is but I have reached it and the unit informed me of it. Then you just have to start another.

3. Member
    Increase display updates. I won't look at another Garmin till they get that fixed. Pointless to display fish 20 yds behind the boat.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I sent a suggestion for fixing the screenshots into Garmin. The first time HOME is pressed and held to do a screenshot bring up a popup and ask "enable touch screenshots". If you say yes then place a green dot on screen somewhere out of the way. One touch and you get a screenshot. While it is recording the green changes to red and when ready for another screenshot change back to green. No acknowledgments or confirmations asked for. Green-Red-Green and the user would know what is going on. When the action is really good, I don't want to do screenshots. I need to be fishing. And this is precisely the time to get the best screenshots. For these times I'd like an option to do several screenshots in succession at some timing interval that does not require me to interrupt my fishing. Surely we don't have to quit doing screenshots for them to get the message.

There is a max size to the recording files. I don't know what it is but I have reached it and the unit informed me of it. Then you just have to start another.
    That doesn't do much for us with garmins that do not have touch screens

Quote Originally Posted by captainrab View Post
    Increase display updates. I won't look at another Garmin till they get that fixed. Pointless to display fish 20 yds behind the boat.
    Can you not change that by changing scroll speed? Pretty sure you can.

6. Member
    I just spent a good part of today trying out my new Panoptix PS21. Over all, its pretty darn cool!

However, it looks like the MFD does NOT record whats happening on the Panoptix screen when you do a sonar recording!!! At least, you cannot play it back in HomePort. Thre is no option to view a Panoptix screen when you play back a recording.

How very very disappointing!!! Trying to do a screen capture of the Panopitx screen is a joke. By the time the screen gets around to actually taking the shot its waaaaaaay to late. Then you have to acknowledge the screen shot before you can do anything else and that screen takes another few seconds to pop up. AAAARRRGGGHHHH! Frustrating!!

Lwinchester2 is absolutely correct. It just takes way to long for the entire process to be of any use when you're fishing and trying to get a good shot - especially with live action stuff like Panoptix.

I dont care how they do it, but they need an instant screen shot option - with NO acknowledgement needed - some how some way. This current method sucks.

Sonar recordings are also a major pain. You cant even get to the sonar recording screen from some views. So you have to go digging into menus to find the option then dig your way back to where you started and then it doesnt even capture Panoptix. Did I say that already :)

7. Member
    Every Garmin sonar I have owned - only 2 - update the screen pretty much instantly. My new 7610 has zero delay as far as I can tell. You see Panoptix updating the screen instantly. You move a lure and the screen shows it right now. Same for down view and traditional. Its virtually instant. I was watching a jig today on Panoptix, downview and traditional all at the same time and it was live action on all three screen views.

8. Member
    There are some settings that you can use:
    Under Sonar Main-Sonar Setup-Scroll Speed. Fast or Ultrascroll
    I like having A-Scope on. Also under Sonar Setup-Appearance-A Scope
    If that is not enough , then also under Sonar Setup-Appearance use Pic Advance. You have 1/1 2/1 4/1 8/1. Default is 1/1.
    Then if the arches are not big enough use Echo Stretch.

You are mistaken about this. It is just a matter of using the correct settings. Nobody offers the controls that Garmin does to make the unit perform and look like you want it to.

9. Member
    Good point, but they could let you assign a button just for fast screen shots or change the current option to just work faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass newb View Post
    That doesn't do much for us with garmins that do not have touch screens

10. Member
    Compatability with Reefmaster and other 3.-party mapping and GIS.
    Broadband or CHIRP radar.

11. Member
    Added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Compatability with Reefmaster and other 3.-party mapping and GIS.
    Broadband or CHIRP radar.

12. Member
    added waypoint comments

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass newb View Post
    Can you not change that by changing scroll speed? Pretty sure you can.
    You can. Just set it to ultra. It seems slow at first but I guarantee what you see is under the transducer. I vertical fish most of the year so I would have noticed it instantly. All of my other settings are default.

14. Member
    I would just like for both of mine to turn on in less than 5 seconds, not the stupidly long wait and additional keystrokes you have to make.

15. Member
    Depending on the model, thats probably not possible without significant hardware changes. These are fairly sophisticated computers. Troy could explain it better, but they have systems to boot up and memory to load, routines to start up, etc.

16. Banned
    what stupidly long wait and what keystokes? my 7612 starts up very quickly. the only button you have to push it to agree that maps are for reference. it will also continue on it's own. Next time youre in basspro check out the startup time on a humminbird onix

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    I would just like for both of mine to turn on in less than 5 seconds, not the stupidly long wait and additional keystrokes you have to make.
    If you don't touch anything, it will come up to the home menu on it's own in less than 2 minutes or so. No keystrokes needed.

18. Member
    Compared to what I am used to, 2 minutes is a very long time. My old LMS480 would be ready in seconds, and do the same thing. I like Garmin's simplicity and screen, but turn on time sucks.

19. Member
    The LMS480 is a very simple greyscale sonar. No color display, no touch screen, no radar, no DSC or AIS, no NMEA 2000, no chirp, no sidescan, no charting, no networking, no a lot of stuff. All those extra functions take computing power and time to boot up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Compared to what I am used to, 2 minutes is a very long time. My old LMS480 would be ready in seconds, and do the same thing. I like Garmin's simplicity and screen, but turn on time sucks.
    Set the unit to auto power on like both of mine are, you won't have to touch a button or wait at hardly at all. When you power on your boat (I do this at the ramp before launch) the system will be booting up and ready when you want.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast