Mercury 2.1L 90 control system

I recently (2015) bought a new Mercury 2.1L 90HP 4 stroke. It is not rigged yet. This is a complete system changeover from the older 50HP 2 stroke Merc that was on the 1967 Starcraft Starchief boat. (Sorry, not exactly a bass boat, though I will be bass fishing from it.) I plan to use a new Baystar hydraulic steering setup. I was wondering what opinions others may have on what basic cable (probably Mercury/Mariner) side mount throttle, trim and control unit to use (probably Mercury/Mariner part number?) I want to start shopping used or new units now, and to fabricate and set up the new cabin bulkhead mount steering console and side mount panel ahead of time so this will go quickly come spring. This control unit must plug into the Smartcraft system it will be using. Don Weed was nice enough to spec out and supply my Smartcraft package and I will be installing a Mercmonitor, the Mercury Smartcraft harness, and will be setting up a NMEA 2000 network that the control system must work with.

Thanks

Ron

This is the Chief as it was when I pulled it home last fall. It is now down to bare hull and I will be installing new transom, decks, bulkheads and furniture in early spring here in Maine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    The new Mercury is a ME 90 ELPT 4S number 1F904131D 2B214891

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rhonda can assist you with a side-mount control, and new Gen-2 Throttle/Shift Cables.

Gives you an "all-in-one" keyswitch and control assembly.

I wouldn't be inclined (myself) to rig a "used" control into the boat when you're repowering with all new instruments/engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Rhonda can assist you with a side-mount control, and new Gen-2 Throttle/Shift Cables.

Gives you an "all-in-one" keyswitch and control assembly.

I wouldn't be inclined (myself) to rig a "used" control into the boat when you're repowering with all new instruments/engine.
    Finest kind. I agree and will give you guys a call in about a week, or email a bit sooner when I get home again.

thanks Don