Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    My parents taught me many things...they always said if you can say something good don't say anything at all. In regards to the CMC
    JP
    There is high probability I will switch to a Bobs.

2. Member
    The Bobs plate will make your boat porpoise. Just echoing what I was told.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    The Bobs plate will make your boat porpoise. Just echoing what I was told.
    Interesting......what's the difference?
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    This subject came up once before and I thought too that if I had to buy another JP I might look at a Bob's Action Jack since it's advertised and used on most major bass boats with a self contained external pump and rated for up to 300 HP but was told to NOT use on our boats.

I think what Kevin is getting at is the BOb's plate might flex too much front to back.
    Last edited by AllyFishing; 02-11-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: clairification
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    I thought Detwiler was the preferred jackplate for Allison's?

http://www.go2marine.com/product/343...l-control.html
    Last edited by scj; 02-11-2016 at 06:08 AM.

6. Member
    I have had a Detwiler on my XB2003 since the boat was new back in 1999 and based on my experience, it has been great overall.

7. Member
    At the first rally I went to I had a SHO on my boat and a Bobs jack plate also. All bad. Bad bad bad.
    I was told the slots where the plate moves up and down those slots are too loose this allows the engine to rock back and forth causing the boat to porpoise. I have not noticed that this boat porpoises any more or less than any other boat I have had.

8. Member
    The old guy (Wolfie) that got me into an Allison years ago ran a Bobs hyd. plate on his Allison's and never ever had any ill issues. hooken wasn't you also told the SHO was a no no? Funny how that changed so quick.

Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    At the first rally I went to I had a SHO on my boat and a Bobs jack plate also. All bad. Bad bad bad.
    I was told the slots where the plate moves up and down those slots are too loose this allows the engine to rock back and forth causing the boat to porpoise. I have not noticed that this boat porpoises any more or less than any other boat I have had.

9. Member
    Indeed I was. The funnier part is what the real story was!��

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    I thought Detwiler was the preferred jackplate for Allison's?

http://www.go2marine.com/product/343...l-control.html
    I like a detwiler plate, I've run them on a couple Bullets. I do not however like the Exact Dial. They just don't last long.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

11. Member
    I had good luck with a Detwiler plate but I also had three Exact Dial systems fail. They took care of me on the price of the parts to repair them.Found the guy that rigged my boat had hooked the ground for the Exact Dial to the same ground as the tach. Large letters in the install manual said DO NOT HOOK TO TACH GROUND. Ran a wire direct to battery ground and never had another problem with it.

12. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Funny how some people don't read the instructions!! And a rigger ta boot!
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Member
    Yeah after the second failure I sat down with the book and when I got to the tach ground part the bells and whistles started going off. Stuck my head under the dash and sure enough. That's why I really like working on my own stuff. Then when its screwed up there's only one guy to blame.

14. Member
    So remember this issue? I had a tournament on Saturday and noticed the JP was binding up when I was in the water waiting to blast so I just left it as is. When I went to inspect it, this is what I found!

When the actuator went out, I should have just bought an Atlas
    Attached Images Attached Images

DAYUM !!! I bet that put a bind on something..
    I went back with a Detwiler this time.. It does not match up perfect with the Allison 2" setback to allow the 6 bolt system but some presidential engineering will fix that..
    As for spraying the CMC with WD40 It was a band aid fix for a problem that does not work so well in West Texas.... WD40 draws road dirt and Texas dust which only makes it worse.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Why use the 2" setback? I see detwiler now makes an 8" plate.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

17. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I've replaced two actuators since 2009. I can do it in about 30 minutes now. First time took about two hours.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

18. Member
    Detwiler has made 6/8/10 plates for years I had a 10 on my champion. It was a six with 4 inch static plates. I don't think you can go direct to the transom because of the bolt pattern on the transom.

19. BBC SPONSOR
    That what I am seeing now as well, Kevin. It looks like they now make one piece 10" plates.

I had a 14" setup on my first Bullet. If I remember correctly it was a 8" Detwiler that actually measured 7-3/4" and a 6" static plate for a total of 13-3/4".

My dads first Bullet was rigged with a 6" detwiler with a 8" static plate...his measured exact.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

20. Moderator
    The 2" plate also angles up, which I think will work better with the Detwiler.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast