Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

F&S Setup and numbers thread

I think we can all benefit from sharing this information. I have played with my setup a LOT over the past 3 years. I feel there are 2 main things that require our boats to be setup a little differently than a typical "bass" boat.

1. A fish and ski will typically weigh more than a comparable bass boat.

2. The weight is usually further forward in a fish and ski.

When I first bought my 1997 Ranger 397XT (19'10" with a built in 6" setback) it was spinning a 23P Trophy Plus on a 1997 Merc 200 EFI. Peformance was good but I was able to turn 6000 RPM at about 60 MPH. This is the way the boat was set up at the factory and the motor was mounted about 6" BTP.

Stepping up to a 24P Trophy Plus took it to about 62.5 @ 5800.

A 24P Fury ran a tick over 64 @ 5800 but the handling was sketchy and the hole shot suffered.

I bolted on a 6" Slidemaster and put the 24P Trophy back on. Going off measurements that work great on most Rangers (3.5" BTP) I was running the same speed (62.5) but lost half of my trim range. I could not get the bow up without losing water pressure.

After playing with the plate for days I found that I could not run it as high as other Rangers. I suspect this is because of how far forward the weight is in my boat. I found 4.25" BTP to be the best with the smallish diameter 24P Trophy Plus. Speed was 64.5 @ 5800 with excellent handling. This was by myself, with all my gear and about 20 gal of fuel.

My next issue.... When the boat was loaded down with a fishing partner, their gear and 45 gal of fuel it would fall on its face. I was seeing about 57MPH @ 5700. I had high slip numbers and trouble getting the bow to lift.

I had a theory that the small hub and under 14" diameter of the Trophy was not up to the task of carrying my load

What I have wound up with for now is a 25P Tempest Plus running 4.0" BTP. When I am by myself and moderately loaded I can consistantly run 66MPH @ 5800 with a best of 66.5 and less than 10% slip. This is with all seats in place, trolling motor on, 3 group 31 batts, 20 gal fuel and all my fishing gear. I also do not lose nearly as much speed when FULLY loaded with fuel, passanger and full livewells. Full "tournament" load is running 62-63MPH with the current setup.

I would like to try a large hub/large diameter 4 blade prop to see how it does this season. (Razor 4?)

So... what have I learned? A larger diamter prop and a little deeper drive height seems to be what my hull likes. YMMV

Lets hear your setups.

-Eli

2. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (TJEli)

uhhh........I've got a motor and throttle. I turn the key on and push the throttle all the way forward.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

3. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (TJEli)

I had tried several props on my boat also and have found the tempest to work good. I also run my motor height about 4" below the pad. If I go up at all I loose lift. Lift is everything on these fish and ski hulls when it comes to trying to get speed.
    2013 Nitro Z8
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (joevandal95)

I have a 202 Coral with a 200hp Johnson. I have an 8" jackplate and run a 25p Renegade. I can only hit 51-52mph gps. I have tried the jackplate at every height and not much difference. I have also noticed that it feels like it is blowing out when trying to pull a tube sometimes. Any suggestions? I just feel like I should be getting a lot more performance from this boat.
    2006 Skeeter ZX225

5. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (MasterCASTER!)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by MasterCASTER! &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">uhhh........I've got a motor and throttle. I turn the key on and push the throttle all the way forward.

</td></tr></table>

+1 When time and money permit I hope to experiment a little bit. But until then, my 13.5x23 renegade prop seem be working just fine! Full tank of gas, fishing gear, water skies and passengers I am turning 6000rpm, GPS speed of 62 and what I think is good hole shot! Use the same prop for skiing and never have had any issues pulling people.

6. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (WCCT)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by WCCT &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I have a 202 Coral with a 200hp Johnson. I have an 8" jackplate and run a 25p Renegade. I can only hit 51-52mph gps. I have tried the jackplate at every height and not much difference. I have also noticed that it feels like it is blowing out when trying to pull a tube sometimes. Any suggestions? I just feel like I should be getting a lot more performance from this boat. </td></tr></table>

What are your WOT RPMs? You are either turning really low RPMs or you have a TON of prop slip.

-Eli

7. Member

do you feel the bow lift when you trim up? You probably need to either have more cup added to the tips of your prop or go to a different prop like a tempest.
    2013 Nitro Z8
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (joevandal95)

I think I should experiment with a different prop. I tried a Raker on it at one time but the hole shot wasn't there for me. I am not sure of the rpm's. I wrote them down somewhere and can't find the paper anywhere. If I remember correctly, my rpm's were right about where they needed to be at WOT. Would more cupping get rid of the prop slip? I am really a novice when it comes to boat set up.
    2006 Skeeter ZX225

9. Moderator

99 XB2003
    2000 225PM

Sportsmaster
    14" Allison Jackplate
    28 quad Hydromotive OT ( I think )
    2 people
    FULL load
    1/2 tank gas
    5800 rpms 82.xxx with LOTS left

10. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (RoadrashPaul)

Wttc might try lowering your motor some if it is slipping terribly

11. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (xb03fs)

2000 Coral 202 / 225EFI
    When i first got the boat it had a 6" jackplate.
    I ran a 25P Mazco HP...it would run 69 to 70mph...
    I went to a 10" jackplate and the boat runs 73mph+...
    I'm running a 24TXP 4 blade now and i think its running a lil faster just haven't got the gps on it...I'm on the limiter with that prop so i'm gonna try a 25P TXP to see what it will do..

12. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (Bryan)

Wow Bryan, you got your Coral dialed in

Nicely done

13. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (Darth VMAX)

Thanks,i'm trying to break the 75mph zone

14. Member

A Coral running 75 with a 225 would be sweet! Wonder what a 300xs would do?

15. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (Darth VMAX)

Smoke a slow moving Bullet

16. Member

1993 Javelin 363 FS with an 82 115 Johnson

The setup that finally got the bow up is:
    5 inch plate
    4 7/8 below pad
    13 3/4 x 19 SST prop

4 7/8 is pretty low, but thats what it takes to get the bow up...FS boats have more weight up front so the motor has to be lower to get the front end up. Also, Javelins dont like alot of height...they generally run better with the motor mounted lower than what you would find on other boats. And that goes for both bass boats and FS boats
    Todd Savage
    '93 Javelin 363 FS
    '82 115 Johnson

17. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (mtbdsavage)

1998 Nitro 185 Sport
    150 Mariner EFI

When I got the boat it had a 24p trophy and no jackplate. I was getting around 56mph.

Got a 23p tempest, had Mark B&B it and take out a little pitch to make it a 22p. Then I put on a 6" rapid jack jackplate.

So the current setup and speeds...

6" plate
    3" below pad
    14psi water pressure at WOT
    22p tempest
    62mph on GPS is the best I've seen @5950rpm's

I got that 62 one day when I was doing runs down current on a cool day on a river. I usually hit about 59-60 by myself otherwise. 60 aint bad for a 150 on a 18' fish/ski. Still never feels fast enough. :)
    2018 Ranger 2080MS
    250 Verado

18. Member

Re: F&S Setup and numbers thread (mufugger)

1990 Allison XB2002-Comp Pro
    200 Yamaha Vmax - TRP
    2 X 27" pitch Pro Series goin in opposite directions
    10" CMC Hyd Plate
    POS MG Brute 54 24v TM

85++ ready and loaded to fish and ski (positive there is much more...just got empty the all the crap out of her) Sounds good till you realize I have the slowest XB2002 out there

But I love her and she's been a great and fun little boat. Still makes my heart go pitter patter lookin at her sleek and sexy curves

19. Member
    I have'nt got any replies to my setup thread under "Fish & Ski Boats", so I will post it here.
    I need recommendations for prop and setup for a 2000 Viper Coral 202 with Merc 200 EFI. The boat came with a Tempest Plus 23p and 6" jackplate set at 3-1/2" prop shaft below pad. Top speed with driver only was 63 @ 6000 rpm. Motor lugged initially on holeshot, then planed quickly. The prop ventilated on sharp turns when pulling a tube with motor trim down. In an effort to find a compromise prop for pulling skiers and tubes, I switched to a Powertech TRO4 23p without changing jackplate height. Top speed is now 60 @ 5800 rpm. Initial holeshot with no load is quicker, but not much difference noticed coming up on a salom ski. I probably need a prop for fishing (speed and fuel efficeincy) and another prop for towing skiers and tubing (loads of holeshot and midrange pull). I ran a Javelin 396 FS with a 150 Yamaha Twin Prop for 14 years, so I am not used to prop ventilation and slippage. Your recommendations for props and motor heights would be appreciated.

20. Member
    1998 Stratos 201FS with a 2007 225 E-Tec
    Six inch Bobs Hyd Jackplate
    24 raker 67 gps 20 gals of fuel 1 person and gear
    25 DAH gade 66 gps with 2 persons and gear 69 1 person
    26 DAH Raker 70 plus 1 person and light gear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast