Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I'm running the new Motor leash are you?

Just wanted to see if anyone out there has heard about the motor leash? I have been running one for about a year and have just ordered one for my 920? If you want to check it out go to theleash.net
    I was like one of the guys on the website photos and thought my motor will never flip on my back deck of my boat...Boy was I wrong and will now never run a boat without one.... Check it out for yourselves and let me know what you think...
    Last edited by 5NCULLKY; 02-02-2016 at 03:10 PM.

$399.00 + $30.00 shipping. I've never seen anyone with this product. I've hit a submerged rail road tie but luckily the bow drove it down far enough the skeg hit it putting a 3" deep gouge in it.
    http://www.propellersafety.com/9224/...ng-into-boats/
    old video but good example of how this could happen.
    Last edited by TX721; 02-02-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added link

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

3. Member
    It's one of those products you don't want to wish you would of had. I was very lucky to survive striking a log at 60 mph. Motor flipped up and busted my rear battery compartment and went back in the water. Very close call. Years later this product became available and I thought if there was anything that could help the possibility of a motor not coming aboard I was going to buy it. I have a family and I want to come home to them. I figure I buy a 60k boat and all the fixings what's 400.00. Coming home is more important than 1 more Gloomis.

4. Banned
    I got to see one of these up close. It's made of some very high tech materials which are light and super strong. I could only see this as a necessary item for my boat as I fish on the Ohio River alot and quite often have "bumped" items and have been real lucky.

I talked to the salesman about this and he brought up a very good point. Measure the distance between the back seat and down to the skeg/prop area of the motor. I believe his boat was a 920 and mine the 721----he measured his. If I hit something and my motor comes into the boat the normal way they do, the prop and skeg would take my head off, unless the item I hit threw me forward about 30 inches so the motor doesn't hit me.
    I'd rather not take that chance. I talked to another friend of mine who had his motor ripped right off the transom---bolts pulled through as he didn't have a metal bracket/brace on the inside of the transom. He said not only did the motor come into his boat, but during the process of him hitting something, him trying to hang on to the steering wheel, and him having all of his force on the foot throttle bracing himself-----the motor was screaming WOT right near his head. He said all he saw was Optimax coming at him. Luckily he was thrown into the water right before he got hit by the motor.

Some scary stuff. I will be ordering one as soon as they are out and available.

Josh(5cullnky) Thanks for bringing this up----I think this product will catch on real fast. Tell Bill thanks for talking to me about it at the show!

Good topic and something worth giving real thought to! Good post!

6. Member
    Anyone got a link can't get theleash.net to pull up.

7. Member
    How many bass boat operators have been beheaded?

8. Member
    Actually you would be surprised. 2 in KY in 2015. They are working to get all the stats on this from what I have been told. From what I heard at the local boat show you will see at least 5-10 of the top pros running this at the classic. At the end of the day it's a safety device to potentially stop the chance of a motor coming aboard. Some people will laugh at the price and some will see the value. I'm not trying to sell this thing I just wanted to share my experience and let people know there is something out there to help. I fish local club tournaments and enjoy fishing shallow as well as running some at night and you just never know what could be in your way no matter how careful you are. I totally understand all the questions. It's a new product and I'm sure the folks that own the company will be able to answer them..

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badz71 View Post
    it worked for me. They also have a fcbk page you have to put theleash.net in the search bar.

10. Member
    I can tell you this after fishing in a tourney a few years ago were one of our anglers lost his life by this exact kind of accident I have really wished for a product like this especially seeing 80% of my fishing is on the Mississippi River thanks for the post

http://theleash.net/
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badz71 View Post

My biggest fear running with my son. We've talked about it on here why there isn't some kind of tether to keep the engine from coming in the boat. I didn't know there was a product available. IMO, it should be mandatory from the factory or to compete in sanctioned event.

Indeed this product is a must just as a life preserver. Im looking forward to investigating this product.

Thanks for sharing Josh.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Thanks for the link 11,looks like a good idea,requested more info.

So where do all those g-forces go if the leash holds the motor back? How would a boat react?
    Has anyone had personal experience with a "leash" hitting something at speed?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

15. Member
    Where can you find more product information?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepin85 View Post
    Where can you find more product information?
    Agreed, the web page is very vague on the details. How does it install? Are there any videos or pics of this product in action? The price seems pretty steep, but if this product does as advertised, it's well worth it. Wonder if we post this in the lounge if we can find somebody who is running it and has experienced what it can do.
    2021 Vexus VX20, Yamaha 250 SHO

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Co. Hank View Post
    My biggest fear running with my son. We've talked about it on here why there isn't some kind of tether to keep the engine from coming in the boat. I didn't know there was a product available. IMO, it should be mandatory from the factory or to compete in sanctioned event.

Indeed this product is a must just as a life preserver. Im looking forward to investigating this product.

Thanks for sharing Josh.

You never know---one day it might be requiredjust like a kill switch and a life jacket. Could easily go that way, especially during tournaments.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepin85 View Post
    How many bass boat operators have been beheaded?
    Maybe beheaded is extreme, but a loss of life or serious damage to somebody should mean something. Also, most of the time, it's the passenger that gets hit first. Can you live with that? If this product truly helps, then you'll be glad you have it.
    I want one! I will have one!

19. Member
    That statement wasnt meant as a joke at all, sorry if thats how its been taken. Its a steep price tag with no product information. Some r&d info available to the public would definitely be a plus
    I cannot find any info on mounting. I would also like to know what actually fails allowing the motor to flip over and what the leash would be fastened to in the same general area thay would not fail.

20. Member
    I will try to post some pictures from the install on my last boat. I'm having trouble uploading them. Between 2 birds I did have a 520C Carbon don't judge it lasted only 6 month. Back to the Bird!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast