Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phnx#22 View Post
    Well I have a Atlas jack plate and am safe. Copied from their site.

- ATLAS™ is first plate to include a heavy duty safety cable to protect boaters from engine entering cockpit upon failure
    I did see that on mine as well.

2. Member
    Yes you are correct. They are referring to jackplate failure. This device is actually bolted directly to the transom.

3. Member
    5ncull, can you tell us how yours in the past are mounted? I would like to see it in action as far as product testing goes. And information on materials and testing.

It looks like it is mounted directly to the transom using the same bolts that hold the jackplate to the transom.
    2016 Phoenix 619 Pro / Mercury 200 Pro XS

It would be nice if they would design the outboard lower unit to be knocked off in the case of an underwater impact. Basically design it so the lower unit bolts are the weakest link and thus making the lower unit a sacrificial part of the engine during an impact. There's nothing scarier than the thought of a propeller spinning at WOT coming at you.
    2016 Phoenix 619 Pro / Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. BBC SPONSOR
    So even as a dealer I am confused.... Does the T&H Atlas Hydraullic Plate have it's own system to prevent an engine from flying onto the back deck? I was a rider years ago in a boat that had the motor flipped on the back deck, and see if at least twice a year at the dealership. Again if you have an Atlas does one need this product..

7. Member
    I spoke with one of the owners of the leash today & they are building the website & will have installation information & product specifications on the site shortly. He said that all of their tethers are FSI tested & NASCAR certified.
    Last edited by 5NCULLKY; 02-03-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Brian, I'm with you. If the motor manufacturers used bolts on the lower unit that would shear off upon impact I believe it would be a much better design. I saw a boat that hit something at speed on the Delaware river and the entire lower unit was gone. Motor popped up but not severely so.
    And I doubt you could get a guarantee from the safety strap manufacturer that doesn't have a disclaimer regarding boat and motor.
    My $0.02.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Muddbugg View Post
    So even as a dealer I am confused.... Does the T&H Atlas Hydraullic Plate have it's own system to prevent an engine from flying onto the back deck? I was a rider years ago in a boat that had the motor flipped on the back deck, and see if at least twice a year at the dealership. Again if you have an Atlas does one need this product..
    Mine does Sean. I just purchased a 921 with an Atlas. Steel cable bolted to jack plate. All models listed. Showing HD here.
    http://thmarine.com/th-marine-produc...00-hp-max.html

10. Member
    5ncull. Can you please tell us how yours is fastened?
    I wonder what destructive test and performance tests have been conducted.
    Last edited by jeepin85; 02-03-2016 at 10:22 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    Brian, I'm with you. If the motor manufacturers used bolts on the lower unit that would shear off upon impact I believe it would be a much better design. I saw a boat that hit something at speed on the Delaware river and the entire lower unit was gone. Motor popped up but not severely so.
    And I doubt you could get a guarantee from the safety strap manufacturer that doesn't have a disclaimer regarding boat and motor.
    My $0.02.
    +1

12. Banned
    5NCULLKY asked me to post these pictures of his boat with the Leash on it. My understanding is the Leash will come with two new slightly longer bolts for the top bolts on the jack plate through transom. Same strength bolts as what you have on their, or possibly a stronger grade---can't remember exactly what the saleman told me.

13. Member
    I updated sketch of guessing how it is connected

gary
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    I love the sketch. Im guessing what you labeled the "swivel plate" is probably a soft rubber or plastic sleeve.

What material are they using? What's the strength? This won't be a straight line pull like a tow strap, so how was it tested to know how it will react under stress? 400$ for two pieces of rope interlaced together without any specs or testing is a far reach.

The concept is great for sure. No question there.

16. Banned
    [QUOTE=JackJ;6969706]There was a person die here many years back from this happening, and I have seen this happen to others that were lucky to not be hurt.
    I have been thinking about making my own turboswing type device...

Re: the TurboSwing. :http://turboswingus.com

Maybe attach some type of cage on the top of the TurboSwing?

17. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepin85 View Post
    5ncull. Can you please tell us how yours is fastened?
    I wonder what destructive test and performance tests have been conducted.

The cable used on the Atlas will not prevent the motor from coming over the back of the boat as its only attached to the jack-plate and not the motor itself. You shear the bolts mounted from motor to jack-plate and the motor is coming into the boat.

Only a device similar to the leash or the turbo swing system will prevent or slow the motor from coming into the boat.

18. Member
    that's my only problem with this. It definitely would give me piece of mind. A lot can go wrong out there and we all have to be on point. I can't believe we don't have more information on this yet? is it that new?? 5ncullky said he's been running one for years. So I feel like the information should be readily available. At the very least if you've been using them explain explain how yours is fastened and what all you know about them.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter689 View Post
    The cable used on the Atlas will not prevent the motor from coming over the back of the boat as its only attached to the jack-plate and not the motor itself. You shear the bolts mounted from motor to jack-plate and the motor is coming into the boat.

Only a device similar to the leash or the turbo swing system will prevent or slow the motor from coming into the boat.

there is not enough information. we do not know the grade and hardness of the bolts that are used on the jackplate itself nor the the bolts mounting the plate to the transom.

the idea is great no doubt. but i personally would like to see much more product information.

Seems like a plastic coated cable could be another option and put together for much less $$

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast