Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I think maybe what the problem was is that it's so simple it seems that I'm not accomplishing anything. I basically ended up right back where I started except for the fact that the idle was moved one or two slots in the negative direction.

2. Member
    So you ended up with the idle timing set at 6 degrees after top dead center. Was your TDC pointer set right?

3. Member
    I was only able to check the TDC point with a digital caliper. So I'm not positive that it was in the exact correct spot but it seemed very very close. I took the boat out yesterday and it did a little better but it still idled a little low and a little rough when warm. The air temp yesterday was around 45. I thought I would try adjusting the idle one detent to the negative direction while out on the water. This seemed to help quite a bit. The boat did not die again after I did this although it did sound a little rough. I may try to go one more detent in the negative direction to see where that puts me. Also since this is a bassboat forum I thought I would add this jewel because it is by far the biggest I've caught. After catching this 10 pounder I no longer cared how the boat was running.

4. Member
    Wow! That's one nice fish. Your kind of bundled up, at 45 I do put on a light jacket. When at idle are you keeping the exhaust relief holes, on the back of the motor, out of the water? The best idle will be at motor level or slightly higher.

5. Member
    I noticed yesterday that it definitely idles better with the motor in a more level position. For some reason 45 yesterday was really cold. I don't think the sun ever came out yesterday. My motor seems to sit pretty darn low in the water.

6. Member
    What did you catch that fish on? I'm a bass fishing nut, health issues have kept me from fishing much, but this year I'm going to a lot.

7. Member
    a red Rapalla Clackin Rap

8. Member
    So i know it's been a while but I just wanted to follow up on this thread. The motor is still doing the same thing. It almost seems still that either it's not getting enough gas or now I'm looking at the shift interrupt switch as it seems to not be working correctly. I decided yesterday to disconnect the switch and see what happens. Problem was when I first started up at the ramp all was well just like normal but when we got to the first spot to fish I couldn't get the motor to shut off. I turned the key switch pulled the lanyard and nothing would stop the motor. Finally I pulled the cover off and hooked the switch up and the motor finally shut off. Any idea if this means that the switch is working. The initial reason that I bring the switch up is because I thought maybe it was sticking causing one bank to be shut down to long which maybe that was causing it to stall. This issue is driving me absolutely insane.

9. Member
    Test your stop circuit, make sure that the kill switch and the ignition switch in the off position is grounded. Test from the motor at the power pack connector. If that is all good you have a power pack problem.

10. Member
    replace your fuel line and bulb

11. Member
    I'm not sure why but I switched the black/yellow connectors off of the shift interrupt switch and now the motor stops with the key. I don't know why that fixed it and don't know why they were switched compared to the original shift interrupt switch.

I still have a problem with the motor coughing and idling after fishing when warm. I started checking the electrical system. I checked all the plug wires and the all have a resistance of around 400 ohms. The manual says something lik it should be near zero. To me this seems fairly high. They are grey wires but I don't know if they are original or what. Should I try replacing them? If so where can I get a good set for a good deal?

the plug wired are made by CDI. The power pack is the blue CDI pack.
    Last edited by hlewis12; 04-19-2016 at 05:31 AM.

12. Member
    Reviving an old thread here because i have the same issue, except mine has a rough idle and miss as soon as the high idle turns off. Last time i had it on the lake it would stall every couple seconds but if i could get it to take throttle in gear it would plane out and run wot great. I also disconnected my shift switch to see if that was the issue, it did not help. But i experienced the same problem where my engine would not shut down with the key. It did bog it down some but i had to recconect the shift switch to make it shut down. I had a timing light on my plug wires and did notice three cylinders that seem to drop spark for a second every time the motor missfires/sneezes. Im not sure on which cylinders are 1-6, it was the bottom left, bottom right, and center right cylinders. Does this sound like a power pack issue?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos2191994 View Post
    Reviving an old thread here because i have the same issue, except mine has a rough idle and miss as soon as the high idle turns off. Last time i had it on the lake it would stall every couple seconds but if i could get it to take throttle in gear it would plane out and run wot great. I also disconnected my shift switch to see if that was the issue, it did not help. But i experienced the same problem where my engine would not shut down with the key. It did bog it down some but i had to recconect the shift switch to make it shut down. I had a timing light on my plug wires and did notice three cylinders that seem to drop spark for a second every time the motor missfires/sneezes. Im not sure on which cylinders are 1-6, it was the bottom left, bottom right, and center right cylinders. Does this sound like a power pack issue?
    please start a new thread including your model number. Cylinders are facing the rear of the motor are 1,3,5 on the starboard side and 2,4,6 on the port side. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12