Lost power at console and bow on Skeeter 20i

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I know I'm completely in the dark.

i have a 2009 Skeeter 20i with the Digital Monitoring System. I had the boat our and fished 2 tournaments this past weekend without any issues. (Except that I didn't get a check out of either of the tourneys that is)

i loaded the the boat on the trailer and drove home. Now for some reason the main power on my console is gone. I can't get power to my bilge pumps, electronics, navigation lights, horn..........nothing on console or bow.

ichecked fuses under the console and at the battery they're all good. There is a yellow wire into the main power switch control that does have power but it doesn't seem to go beyond the switch. What's really weird is that the fuel gauge on the left side of the console is on and I can't turn it off. The ignition switch has power and the 250 Yamaha will fire right up and run.

i found the Power Management Enclosure under the driver side rear deck that I assume is the control unit for the Digital Monitoring System but I have no idea how to test it. There is power at several of the pins both in and out though. The main posts are labeled "positive" and "negative" but attaching a test light o the negative side and touching the positive side does not light the test light. Attaching the test light to the negative side of the starting battery and touching to positive or negative posts on the control panel does light the test light. Negative to negative just doesn't make sense to me.

does anyone have any insight to share on this? Where can I have the computer control tested? Where can I buy a new one? Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Unhook power rom the DMS brian box. That should kill the fuel display. Hook it back up and hit power see what that does. If no power, but fuel indiation comes back, I would bet the box is bad.

3. Member
    Thanks Randy
    i did disconnect the brain box and still no power. The the clock/fuel gauge is still on. I think you're right about the brain box being brain dead. Do you have any idea where or who I can get a new one from?
    i can't find any information about them on line. There is a website on the box but it doesn't reference anything that looks like what is in my boat. I'll try to contact a Skeeter dealer today about it but I'd appreciate any help you could pass along as well. I had planned to fish a tourney this weekend but that is out now I guess.

4. Member
    A new box purchase would be through a dealer. If you still have a fuel tank reading even with the box being disconnected, you may have a shorted wire to the ignition and brain box. The last time I checked the fuel gauge is powered through the ignition switch unless things have changed. If that is not the case then refer to previous post.

5. Member
    Going off memory here, but I believe there is a large inline fuse between power and DMS brain. You might want to check that.

6. Member
    I do appreciate all the help. Disconnecting the brain made no difference. I think you may be right about a short somewhere and I fear the short is in the brain itself. The power management brain has a positive and a negative terminal. Connecting a test light to the negative terminal and contacting the positive side does NOT light the test light. Connecting to the negative post of the battery and contacting either the positive or the negative post of the brain lights the test light with 12 volts. I can't think of any way that a negative to negative connection should result in power flow other than a short of some kind.

I do think the brain is bad. The problem is I can't find anywhere to buy a new one. I called Fun and Sun in Dallas but that was a waste of time. They kept saying that they wanted me to bring my boat to them and they would look at it as soon as they could. I asked if they could just order the brain and I would install it myself but I got the impression from the guy that he didn't have a clue about what the module was or where he could get one.

if anyone has any ideas about a source for me to buy one from I would really appreciate a name and/or phone number.

7. Member
    Call another dealer

8. Member
    Premier Marine in Jasper. Service Manager is Cody. Parts Manager is Royce. 409-383-1900.

Did you ever check the inline fuse on the positive wire? It is normally close to the battery. Your DMS brain may very well be "fried", but there is also a chance you aren't getting power to it (blown fuse or fuse not making good contact). I assume your boat isn't under warranty or else you would have a dealer check this out. Before going out and ordering a new brain I think you would want to confirm it isn't a power issue. It has been my experience that dealers do not stock the DMS brain and will have to order it from Skeeter. If you then find out you don't need the new one, I doubt the dealer will restock it or restock it with a high restocking fee.
    Last edited by bandit53; 01-31-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added info

9. Member
    I also have a 2009 21i and the wiring in horrible. All of you gauges and engine components work through the harness for the motor. That's the confusing part for most people, but all of the fishing component and curtsey things work through that stupid box. When we rewired my boat we lifted the back deck off because we had some wires that would not move. We found 5 wires pinched between the deck and the side rail of the boat. I also found over 25ft of extra wire tapped and piled up in the side of the boat next to the console. And in the back some of the wires were pulled so tight. Very disappointed with the quality of the wiring

10. Member
    Bandit53, yes sir I've confirmed power to the DMS "brain." There is no fuse that I can find between the battery and that brain though. I replaced the battery just because it was 4 years old and to eliminate the possibility that it wasn't sending the correct voltage to the unit or something. One of the reasons I'm almost certain the brain is dead is that when a test light or volt meter s connected between the positive and negative posts of the brain there is no power but if the test light is grounded to the battery and then to the brain, both the positive and negative terminal have 12 volts at them. I don't understand how a negative to negative connection could produce power unless some circuit within the brain is shorted out.

k3fishing, I couldn't agree more with you about the wiring on these boats. It is ludicrous to me that Skeeter would control of every electrical circuit on these boats through a brain box that they don't even mention in the owner's manual or list among the parts components on their boats. I missed the TxTT tournament this past weekend and my boat is now a "raft" parked in the garage and I can't find anyone at Skeeter that can tell me anything about why that is. changing the brain is the only option I can see short of rewiring the entire boat. Sounds like rewiring was the option you chose. Did you Use rocker switches on the console? If so, did they fit okay with the dash layout of the push button DMS system?

I've heard good things about a Skeeter marine dealer in North Carolina. (Their name escapes me right now though) I'll give them a call and hopefully they can help with locating a new brain. I'm just amazed that something as essential to the operation of the boat is such a well kept secret.

11. Member
    Cowboy, I am really surprised there is not a fuse in the positive wire to the DMS brain. I would strongly suggest you install one when you replace the DMS brain. Not trying to oversell Cody at Premier, but he diagnosed the brain as the problem on my FX, but Skeeter felt otherwise and wanted to try other things. When it was all said and done the DMS brain was the problem. Since mine was done under warranty, it didn't cost me anything other than loss of time. I think it would be worth your time to call and speak to Cody.

12. Member
    as bandit53 said, call premier marine in jasper.

13. Member
    If there is a fuse it is well hidden and not blown. I have power at the brain module. Too much in fact I think since the negative side of it is also hot when grounded at the negative post of the battery.

Thanks. I'll call Premier Marine as you and skeeterbug20i recommended. They're a lot closer than North Carolina. ��

14. Member
    Update:
    Well on the advice I received here; I called Premier Marine in Jasper, TX. One of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had dealing with a marine service center. Thanks to Bandit53 and Skeeterbug20i for your recommendations.

I spoke with Royce in the parts department, he had to make a few phone calls after I gave him my VIN number but he has the computer brain module on its way. I'm not sure that I'm getting the best price on it but I know without a doubt I'm getting the best service.

Royce put me through to Cody in the service department. I explained to Cody the issues I was having and what I learned from the tests I had done. Based on what I told him, Cody was convinced that the brain was bad but he also told me some other tests to run to confirm that I didn't have other issues that might be causing the problem or creating others.

As a fisherman I'm always looking for the spots holding the most and biggest fish. As a boat owner I'm looking for the best help and service to deal with the inevitable problems that arise. Wel, I've found a real "honey hole" in Premier Marine in Jasper. Many thanks to Bandit53 and Skeeterbug20i for sharing your spot with me. ����

15. Member
    Glad to help. Hope it works out for you.

16. Member
    your welcome, good luck.