History of cobra

can anyone tell me the complete history of cobra boats? Or a link to page with the information? Thx

2. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar

Re: History of cobra (TX-Fisher)

TX-Fisher, here's the short version without going into all the legalities. John Storie was the originator of the Viper Cobra, although he didn't actually make new molds to produce the boat. After selling Champion he was under a no compete agreement (not to build anymore deep "V" wedge hull bass boats) so he splashed a 482 ranger hull, added a turning chine, and a little more setback, and Viper Cobra was born. John later left Viper Boats to form is own company (Hawk Bass Boats) but they eventually went under and had to close their doors. Legend Boats bought the Hawk molds, splashed a reverse outside chine and the LE Series of Legend Boats was formed. The Legend Bass Boats of today are in no way connected to the old Viper/Venon/Hawk/LE Series Legend of days gone by. Legend developed a new hull of their own and the current Alpha Series was born.

Viper Cobra's downfall started when the company obtained some faulty gel coat from the Neste Corporation that ruined hundreds of boats. This eventually led to a law suit that was dragged out for 3+ years. So, with little capital flowing in Viper was unable to pay their suppliers and vendors and were forced into receivership. (The gel coat problem could not be repaired so the boats had to be replaced at company expense under warranty).

The company was then purchased by a man from Florida who renamed the company Venon Cobra and tried to bring Cobra back to the prominence it once held but some poor business decisions, along with not allocating much money for advertising, and a lack of floor planning led to a struggling company and Cobra was then sold a third time.

Three proved to be an unlucky number as the third owner barely got off the ground (lack of money) and Venon Cobra finally closed it's doors for good in 2005.

There's a lot more to it than what's above but that'll give you a pretty good understanding of the demise of Cobra Boats.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

3. Member

Re: History of cobra (Backlash Ar)

So some bad decisions and bad gel coats ruined cobra. So why hasn't anybody else nought the molds and made them into a major company again? (I've heard about anaconda)
    so there is nothing wrong with venom models?
    Thx

4. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar

Re: History of cobra (TX-Fisher)

The longer length of the Cobra molds were purchased. As you are already aware, one was purchased by Anaconda Boats in Wisconsin (216 model) and the 201 model was purchased by Shoalwater Boats in Texas. Shoalwater used the hull to make the Phoenix 20 http://www.shoalwaterboats.com...s.htm You'd have to check with Ken at Anaconda Boats regarding how many boats he has manufactured to date.

No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Venom Cobra. It's still a Cobra and like all Cobra's they are built as solid as the Rock of Gibraltor.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

5. Member

Re: History of cobra (Backlash Ar)

That`s a whole different story than the one`s I`ve heard on and around the lake. This is why I like coming here for all the great info. Backlash, once again thank you for your wisdom.

6. Member

Re: History of cobra (2fastr1)

Very cool info. I had NO idea Cobra's started out as a splashed Ranger...

Re: History of cobra (Darth VMAX)

Yeah, a Ranger modified hull married to a Champion top cap. He must have made some pretty agressive cahnges to the hull though, because the Rangers I have ridden in are nowhere near the ride of a Cobra.

Buddy sold his Cobra and bought a Ranger 518. He really likes the way it fishes, but rode in his dad's 201 the other day, said he didn't realize how bad he was getting beat up. We were out fishing and the wind was probably 15 -20 as we were about to make a run to the ramp. He asked if I was ready for a smooth boat ride and I said "sure!". He laughed and said I better find another boat to get to the ramp in then!!

He wasn't joking!! "My Back!!!"

8. Member
    I own my 3rd cobra now. The guy above hit the John Story portion dead on. I bought my 1998 of his brother in law about 8 months ago in Spfd mo. My little 188sc runs 72 mph with the 200 Mariner and fished as good as any boat I’ve had and I’ve had them all. Ranger, Champ, skeet, cat, bullet, gambler, Charger, nitro, fisher, astro and I’ve had several of each. This Cobra I can have 2 guys on the same side and tue boat doesn’t move at all. I’m 215 lbs and my partner is 265 lbs and the boat may move but I don’t see it or fill it. I’d recommend if your looking at boats and you can get a deal on a viper, take it for a test drive on smooth water and then get rough water. You will be impressed guarented.
    you want more info on cobras call Mike at Top Gun Marine in Nixa Mo.