Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyp View Post
    Remember, all species of fish trigger a fish ID symbol if the swim bladder is big enough. Carp, white perch (any panfish over 8-12inches), pike, pickerel, gar, etc etc etc will show fish symbols. You truly never know whats down there until you catch them. Thinking that every school you find is bass is just plain old dumb, you will find out 7/10 times they are indeed not what you are after and 2/3 times they are indeed the incorrect size to do you any good.

No one likes the guy at the ramp squawking about the could of should of would of theory.
    Yes, know the waters you fish.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

If you fish for larger species, change the water type to salt-water to get the larger set of symbols
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you fish for larger species, change the water type to salt-water to get the larger set of symbols
    I wouldnt mind doing that when pike fishing up north. Do you know the approximate size in pounds the fish ID represents? Both fresh and salt?
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caskey_b View Post
    I wouldnt mind doing that when pike fishing up north. Do you know the approximate size in pounds the fish ID represents? Both fresh and salt?
    I don't remember the saltwater sizes. The freshwater sizes are approx. 1#-1 1/2# bass Small symbol. Medium symbol 2#-3#, and Large over 3#.

After you catch a few, you can verify those sizes.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks wayne
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

6. Member

Wayne question Fish ID

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    That is the simplified answer, but only for the spec coverage which is rated at -10 DB from the center of the sonar pulse.
    Sound is still in the water farther away from the center of the pulse at weaker strengths.
    Stuff will still be recorded as long as the sound is reflected (echoes) and the Sensitivity setting is high enough.
    Wayne maybe you can answer this question . I have a Bird 998 si on trolling motor . It seems that I dont get enough fish symbols i have sensitive around 13 I never have arches just lines should I have any arches is arches just a lowance thing ? Also I have a 1197 Si on dash I do get some fish sysbols but never arches also . I bought a new Trition and it came with a lowance x5 unit in the dash so I can see it and my 1197 at the same time . I have the interference on bird on high 1 . I get fish arches on the lowance but nothing on the bird why is this ? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by On top View Post
    Wayne maybe you can answer this question . I have a Bird 998 si on trolling motor . It seems that I dont get enough fish symbols i have sensitive around 13 I never have arches just lines should I have any arches is arches just a lowance thing ? Also I have a 1197 Si on dash I do get some fish sysbols but never arches also . I bought a new Trition and it came with a lowance x5 unit in the dash so I can see it and my 1197 at the same time . I have the interference on bird on high 1 . I get fish arches on the lowance but nothing on the bird why is this ? Thank you
    Arches have zero to do with a sonar brand. It is entirely a result of time and distance within the sonar's coverage.

If your X5's coverage specs are rated at -3db like I have seen some Lowarance's, your coverage is more than three times what Humminbird has. Humminbird rates theirs at -10db. Humminbird's 200 kHz is rated at 20 degrees @ -10 db. Their 83 kHz is rated at 60 degrees @ -10 db.

If both brands used the same coverage rating, you would use Humminbird's 83 kHz to have about the same coverage as Lowrance's 200 kHz.
    Then the boat speed and screen scroll speed would have to be the same also (time and distance again).

That is why 83 produces arches and 200 kHz does not with the same settings. It's all about the coverage (time and distance), nothing else.
    Split view with 83/200 kHz:

Your 1197 has a split sonar view, use it and see the difference.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

This is one of the many explainations about fish arches:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12