Dobyns Savvy VS ALX IKOS

Has anyone fished with both of these rods?

I'm looking to pick up 2 rods, both 7'3", one MH and one H...
    Love the action of the Dobyns but I know some members on here use the ALX rods and like them...

2. Member
    I've used Dobyns couple years ago although not that model they are a good rod. I have been using ALX for 3 years now and found them to be every bit as good and like the actions a little better. The other thing some may not know is every ALX has its own serial number which can make it easy for tracking of age of use, ins purpose's

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    I've used Dobyns couple years ago although not that model they are a good rod. I have been using ALX for 3 years now and found them to be every bit as good and like the actions a little better. The other thing some may not know is every ALX has its own serial number which can make it easy for tracking of age of use, ins purpose's
    Scotty34 - what would you describe the ALX actions to be like?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTLOF View Post
    Scotty34 - what would you describe the ALX actions to be like?
    Interested in this too, are the actions stiffer, more true? I feel like the Dobyns are slightly more limber than the actions say...like the H feels more like MH to me, but I think they feel great

Another thing, if talking about Dobyns, how much difference is there between the Savvy and Fury?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalBassinKing View Post
    Interested in this too, are the actions stiffer, more true? I feel like the Dobyns are slightly more limber than the actions say...like the H feels more like MH to me, but I think they feel great

Another thing, if talking about Dobyns, how much difference is there between the Savvy and Fury?

They feel very crisp and more accurate for there description. There is no filler in the scrim and resin so it doesnt deaden the action. Give Alex a call he is the mad scientist behind these rods, he has more info about rod and technology in his pinkie finger than I'll ever know.

6. Member

HMB - don't get power and action confused. Action is Fast, XFast, Mod Fast, etc. Power is Hvy, Med Hvy, Med, etc. I do agree, in regards to power, Dobyn's H is, to me is a MH also. Like their 734C champion, they advertise it as an H power, but to me it acts more like a MH rod. St. Croix rods, the Avid series especially, to me, their MH is closer to a H power rod. It's all subjective though I suppose.
    Last edited by FTLOF; 01-24-2016 at 11:35 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTLOF View Post
    HMB - don't get power and action confused. Action is Fast, XFast, Mod Fast, etc. Power is Hvy, Med Hvy, Med, etc. I do agree, in regards to power, Dobyn's H is, to me is a MH also. Like their 734C champion, they advertise it as an H power, but to me it acts more like a MH rod. St. Croix rods, the Avid series especially, to me, their MH is closer to a H power rod. It's all subjective though I suppose.
    I know the difference, but you are right...
    To me though when I say action it's like how the rod feels in the hand...
    Lots of times H with Extra Fast tip feels like a broomstick, I don't like that unless I'm flipping with it...

I think the 733 and 734 both have a fast tip..

We just did the East TN Fishing Expo and the overall comment every time that we placed an IKOS series rod in someone's hand was "Whoa, that is light" and "Man, that's a good feeling rod".

I've got our whole line up at my disposal to fish and half my rods are IKOS. They are great rods and get overshadowed by the ZOLO.

We use a 30% resin content with a light aerial weight carbon prepeg. It creates a very light, crisp blank. I'm very particular about this and that is the expectation I have in our our rod lines. In layman's terms, I want the blank to "go back straight as fast as possible". Not going to get into the science behind all that here.

In the IKOS line, I would say the powers (weight required to flex the blank) and the action (how the blank flexes) are about what you would expect. The ZOLO line is maybe going to be a little softer in power just because we have so many models to address specific needs. That is the point of the ZOLO - technique specific and there to address very individual, discriminating needs. The IKOS are our flat head/phillips head screwdrivers... gotta have em. The ZOLO is more like a square head or a torx head... specific applications and a little better for certain things.

The IKOS rods are super crisp, very light and what you would expect in a fast action (the Thunder is Modfast). For reference, a Hammer 7, a true heavy power rod, averages at 4.45 oz.

9. Member

In my hands, the Fury series rods feel more crisp than the Savvy. They seem to have a slightly faster action than the 'same' model Savvy.

Sorry, I haven't even held a ALX. I don't believe they have any dealers here on the West Coast.
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax

10. Member
    Thanks for the input everyone, I'm gonna try to find an ALX dealer to get my hands on an IKOS...

11. Allan Collins
    I don't own a Ikos or a savy but I do have a Champion and a Zolo. In my hand the Zolo feels and fishes MUCH better than my champion.