Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've hit 62 in mine with a light load and my son. That was with a 23 Tempest and what I thought was 6000 rpms, prior to getting my vesselview mobile (more like 5400).

I decided to switch back to the 21 and run it as I get closer to 6000 rpms and this thing is a rocket out of the hole. I'm sure a jackplate only makes it better, but I like having the room in the garage more than the jack plate right now. I can hit 60 easily, and could probably get more if I wanted it.

Also, my boat came with the tournament livewell package and the leds lights in compartments and a 3 bank dual pro charger. It doesn't have a hot foot or blinker trim, but that's all I've ever had anyhow...

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ford4wd08 View Post
    I've hit 62 in mine with a light load and my son. That was with a 23 Tempest and what I thought was 6000 rpms, prior to getting my vesselview mobile (more like 5400).

I decided to switch back to the 21 and run it as I get closer to 6000 rpms and this thing is a rocket out of the hole. I'm sure a jackplate only makes it better, but I like having the room in the garage more than the jack plate right now. I can hit 60 easily, and could probably get more if I wanted it.

Also, my boat came with the tournament livewell package and the leds lights in compartments and a 3 bank dual pro charger. It doesn't have a hot foot or blinker trim, but that's all I've ever had anyhow...
    I think 175 is perfect for that boat, what I don’t understand is why it’s not rated for 200 like the 18TRX which is the exact same boat, pound for pound and inch for inch.

3. Member
    I’m sure that’s a price point deal.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I’m sure that’s a price point deal.
    +1. I think the 189trx is more of an economy model. Many things are the same but just several detail features that are different
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Member
    I suppose if the 189 TRX was rated for a 200 there would be no reason for both the 189 TRX and the 18 TRX.

Very pleased that I chose the 18 TRX and 200 V8 over the 189 TRX and 175 V6. I sincerely believe I would have regretted my purchase if I bought the 175. Did I mention the V8 is a tourque beast?
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

6. Member
    When I bought my boat, I was actually looking for the 189 with 175 hp. they are a popular boat and there were no 2019’s left to be found in my vicinity. I love my boat, no regrets, but I would’ve also been very happy with a 189 with a 175 hp. Where I live, lakes that are big enough to run the 200 WOT are few and far between, but you’re right it’s got more power than it knows what to do with. It’s pretty fun!!

Don't discount the torque from the V6 four stroke either. It is a freaking beast. I think all the Mercury Pro Xs four strokes did a great job moving the torque curve lower.

For what I gave for my boat new, I guess it could be considered an "economy" model, but I honestly don't see the point of buying the 18TRX unless you are just dead set on the 200 V8. I'm not aware of many options that my boat doesn't have that the 18TRX comes with other than a jack plate and maybe a hotfoot or blinker trim.

Since I've never had anything on the list above (other than a jackplate) I don't miss it. Guess ignorance is bliss!!

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

8. Member
    If you go to Triton website, you’ll see the differences in trim between the two boats. Little things like water pressure gauges and such, they’re both outstanding boat values in my opinion. Obviously one of the biggest differences is a 200 hp engine.

9. Member
    You asked a question and answered it in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by ford4wd08 View Post
    Don't discount the torque from the V6 four stroke either. It is a freaking beast. I think all the Mercury Pro Xs four strokes did a great job moving the torque curve lower.

For what I gave for my boat new, I guess it could be considered an "economy" model, but I honestly don't see the point of buying the 18TRX unless you are just dead set on the 200 V8. I'm not aware of many options that my boat doesn't have that the 18TRX comes with other than a jack plate and maybe a hotfoot or blinker trim.

Since I've never had anything on the list above (other than a jackplate) I don't miss it. Guess ignorance is bliss!!
    While im sure the v6 runs well for the 175 the low end and midrange of a v8 is no comparison. Theres no replacement for displacement. Loaded down full of fuel full livewell 2 guys and all your gear the 200 will really flex its muscles. Dont get me wrong whatever fits your needs best some dont need that. Besides what you listed the 18trx has full instrumentation with a gps speedo and nicer gauges as well. For 2020 it comes with a clarion stereo system too not sure on the 189 if it does. Just nickle dime stuff nothing major. I crawled all over a 189 at the dealer to see what i was getting for the 18trx i ordered for the money its a great boat.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    While im sure the v6 runs well for the 175 the low end and midrange of a v8 is no comparison. Theres no replacement for displacement. Loaded down full of fuel full livewell 2 guys and all your gear the 200 will really flex its muscles. Dont get me wrong whatever fits your needs best some dont need that. Besides what you listed the 18trx has full instrumentation with a gps speedo and nicer gauges as well. For 2020 it comes with a clarion stereo system too not sure on the 189 if it does. Just nickle dime stuff nothing major. I crawled all over a 189 at the dealer to see what i was getting for the 18trx i ordered for the money its a great boat.
    Roy I used the same process you did and came to the same conclusion.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12