Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Lake fork boat lane chip

Going to lake fork for the first time wondering if I need the boat lane chip or if the garmin will take the chip says only for lowrance or hummingbird hopefully the garmin has it in there I have the 7608 just trying to get around with out tearing up something thanks for the help

The boat lane chip is GPS data that is loaded to a unit's memory. The Lowrance version will not work with a Humminbird unit and the Humminbird version will not work with a Lowrance unit. It is not map software.

No unit "has it in there".

The data would have to be converted to whatever GPS file format that Garmin reads.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

There are channel buoys and somewhat buoy marked entrances into major creeks.
    The main channel, you can run if you pay attention to where the buoys are and don't take any short cuts between buoys. When there is an abrupt direction change you better make that direction change too. Map software would have those indicated.

A helpful source is the current Navionics Mobile App for a tablet or smartphone. For Fork, that was just updated to show timber areas highlighted in green. BUT anytime you are not in a buoy line, you better be at idle speed or less. The app looks like this:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Another Mobile App sample:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

One more thing, if you can get the Boat Lanes in Garmin speak, there are a lot of lanes that are not buoy marked and you will see some boat traffic parallel and sort of chose to shore in some areas.

There is one from Lake Fork Marina to Mustang Creek but has a tricky part right at Mustang.
    On the Mobile App there is a Community Edit indicating that obstacle/stump to avoid.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Thanks for the help Wayne P will check into the apps looks very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
    Going to lake fork for the first time wondering if I need the boat lane chip or if the garmin will take the chip says only for lowrance or hummingbird hopefully the garmin has it in there I have the 7608 just trying to get around with out tearing up something thanks for the help
    If this chip isn't available in Garmin .adm format, then all you would have to do is buy a Lowrance card (don't know if Humminbird does .gpx), then with the help of a buddy that has a newer Lowrance (recent units/software are compatible with .gpx), have him export this file in .gpx format. GPX will dump straight into Garmin.
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    If this chip isn't available in Garmin .adm format, then all you would have to do is buy a Lowrance card (don't know if Humminbird does .gpx), then with the help of a buddy that has a newer Lowrance (recent units/software are compatible with .gpx), have him export this file in .gpx format. GPX will dump straight into Garmin.
    Humminbird sort of does GPX but not directly. The Humminbird version would have the data in a Matrix folder that Humminbird reads to load the data.

The Lowrance conversion would be an option.

Someone with a Humminbird unit could load the data to HumminbirdPC and then save that data as GPX to a memory card. That is the way to get GPS data to an ONIX or Garmin.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

BTW there is new card up for trade on the Texas Fishing Forum Trading Post, better hurry if you are interested.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Banned
    if you feel like uploading the file so I can get it, i'll run it through humminbirdpc and export the .gpx file for you

11. Member
    You really don't need the chip, Lake Fork has buoy markers on every leg of the lake. You'll have no problem getting around the lake. The boat lane chip shows the major boat lanes also what we call the guide lanes which are the unmarked lanes.

Someone sacrificed his outboard skeg to the stump gods in the middle of a cove that is not marked with buoys:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Someone sacrificed his outboard skeg to the stump gods in the middle of a cove that is not marked with buoys:

Dang, I thought that was the "Creature from the Black Lagoon". Now I'm showing my age.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txdrew View Post
    You really don't need the chip, Lake Fork has buoy markers on every leg of the lake. You'll have no problem getting around the lake. The boat lane chip shows the major boat lanes also what we call the guide lanes which are the unmarked lanes.
    But the chip has more detailed boat lanes

15. Member
    Many thanks to TroyBoy30 for all his efforts in helping me get this worked out. I now have a Boat Lanes file I can download to my Garmin.

16. Banned
    Not a problem Sir. Let me know if you have any issues

17. Member
    Converting Boatlanes by using a Lowrance unit or using HumminbirdPC to create a GPX file should work fine for Lake Fork.

That said. Fork & Toledo Bend Boatlane's tracks are tracks built with no track-segments.
    The Lake o' the Pines and Sam Rayburn tracks are track-segmented and improper conversion will most likely create a result with the track-end-points connected.

Also Lake Fork Boatlanes has been a Track-Only release for awhile. Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn & Lake o' the Pines Boatlanes have waypoints and those Waypoint Icons might not match after conversion for Garmin units.

18. Member
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but would someone be willing to help me do this as well?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskale View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but would someone be willing to help me do this as well?
    I had the Lowrance Lake Fork Marina card in my HDS-1 and did the gpx conversion to go to my 1040 Garmin unit. It worked fine.
    2015 Legend Alpha 211R 250 Merc Pro XS

Anyone have the fork boat lanes in a format they. Would be willing to email?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast