Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question on going from an Xs to a Verado on the same boat

I am thinking about having a 250XS removed and replacing it with a 350 Verado. What is involved with this? Can it be done? Is there any ballpark with a price excluding the motor?

2. Member
    Buy that 350 from Jacos and get free rigging plus 1350 for the verado controls

Verado requires its own smartcraft digital controls. If you are running a hotfoot you will have to get a digital throttle sensor for it as well. Not sure what type of promotions are out there but rigging for these engines is pricey.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
    If you can get everything you need for 1350 including wire harness, can-bus style ECU(s), shifter and hotfoot I'd say do it!! It was closer to 3k for me.

Only problem I foresee for you Opaleski is that your Bullet needs a LU capable of 85+. You can't run your 3l sporty, you can't get the HD sporty with the 350. Leaves you with two options IMO, send the TM off to Titus or someone like that or buy an HD sporty separately. Problem with buying one separately is they are outrageous, darn near might as well get a 400 with it at that point and there an none available used.

Not for either boat that I currently own.

6. Member
    Ahh then it's easy easy. Whipple makes a solid tune for them btw. If you are going that route just save the $$$ and get a 225. Tune is the same amount from them regardless of engine starting HP and takes it to the same ending HP. Just don't let Don know you did it...oh hi Don!!!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by npark View Post
    Ahh then it's easy easy. Whipple makes a solid tune for them btw. If you are going that route just save the $$$ and get a 225. Tune is the same amount from them regardless of engine starting HP and takes it to the same ending HP. Just don't let Don know you did it...oh hi Don!!!
    You're correct... from 200-300 (though the 300 may utilize a different ratio gearcase). Beyond that there are differences in the engine itself.

Of course- modding that engine can result in denied warranty claims.

Rigging for a Verado, or should I say PROPER rigging for a Verado is going to be well above $1350. The ENTIRE steering system is changed (everything but the steering wheel)- new throttle/keyswitch/harnesses, and Smartcraft Instrument(s). Essentially everything except the steering wheel.

Make sure you buy (and have installed AT) a Verado-Qualified Dealer. Strongly recommend utilizing a dealer that will be servicing the boat for you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottw
    Just an FYI... they are NOT a BBC Sponsor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Not a bbc sponsor but great to deal with,I have bought several props and a new 250 from them with zero problems.everything was as advertised.

9. Member
    I'd rather spend a few extra $$ with someone that contributes here. The solid info here is worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
    Not a bbc sponsor but great to deal with,I have bought several props and a new 250 from them with zero problems.everything was as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    I'd rather spend a few extra $$ with someone that contributes here. The solid info here is worth it to me.
    Agree!!

I'm just gonna say get you a Verado, it's well worth it
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

12. Member
    I've been very happy with ours so far. Super quiet, incredibly smooth and feather light steering effort. Can't forget that it's a powerful beast too. It's a mid range torque monster and definitely making every last one of its horses. We haven't seen redline yet, fact is haven't gotten close. cant wait to see what it does once we find the 7200 soft limiter.

13. Member
    The soft limiter is set at 7200?

I've been very happy with ours so far. Super quiet, incredibly smooth and feather light steering effort. Can't forget that it's a powerful beast too. It's a mid range torque monster and definitely making every last one of its horses. We haven't seen redline yet, fact is haven't gotten close. cant wait to see what it does once we find the 7200 soft limiter.

14. Member
    I sell a lot of boats and most wholesale L6 verado rigging is about 2500-3000. That includes, switch, dts, and steering system. It does not include smartcraft.

On a repower, I can't see with labor the cost being less then $4000 just for rigging plus motor.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    The soft limiter is set at 7200?
    Yes for the 400, seven thousand and two hundred revs is the soft limiter...and that's confirmed. There's reports of a few more rpm out there too.
    Last edited by npark; 01-25-2016 at 08:03 PM.

16. Member
    It should pull a 32 or maybe a 34 to the limiter on your or my hull.

Yes for the 400, seven thousand and two hundred revs is the soft limiter...and that's confirmed. There's reports of a few more rpm out there too.

17. Member
    The 32 signature 4 showed no signs of slowing at 6400 and 102...we just ran out of room.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The 32 signature 4 showed no signs of slowing at 6400 and 102...we just ran out of room.
    Just to clarify here... npark is not running a stock 250 Verado or 250 Verado Pro.

The figures provided are very likely from a 400R (please clarify this so that folks don't get their hopes up for something that's just not going to happen with a stock 250).

And that's JUST into the boost-range of the engine (there's a lot of RPM's/Torque available above that).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    Yes sorry, I should have been more clear in the very first post. This is not a 250 or even the 350 like the OP was asking about. Although the 350sci had a lofty 6800 redline so I bet it's soft limiter was around 7k...maybe Don can chime in.

I wasn't meaning to hijack the thread but did unintentionally. The purpose was to point out that the vrod family of engines are well designed/engineered and you will be impressed. They are all super quiet and smooth. There is no bouncing/shaking at idle like a 2 stroke and the steering is like a 80s Cadillac...finger touch control.
    Last edited by npark; 01-26-2016 at 07:56 AM.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Limiter is progressive (and may vary by 3-4 hundred RPM's based on several factors, such as LOAD, and how fast the recommended WOT RPM's are approached).

Have to look at it as a "window", rather than a "set figure".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast